PDA

View Full Version : New Project

PonyKiller87
07-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Several weeks ago I bought an old Chevy truck on eBay. It worked out that the truck was only about 50 miles away from some family that we were visiting in Minnesota this past weekend so I worked it out with the seller to pick it up while we were there. I was able to rent Russ’s super heavy duty car dolly which was wide enough to fit the truck on. We loaded up the truck with all our stuff and some tools on Friday afternoon and headed out. I had a stack of tires and a dog kennel strapped down to the dolly on the way there just to weight it down a little to keep it from bouncing which worked great but a lot of people that passed us seemed to give us dirty looks like they though we actually had the dog in the kennel or something? Anyways, after spending the weekend we the family we went to pickup the truck on Sunday to take it home. When we got there it was sitting there looking as $hitty as can be, rusted everything, fender well lying on the tire, bed falling off….. Just as I expected, lol.

After 2 hours of jerking around we finally had it on the car dolly securely so that I was comfortable with towing it. This should have been a lot faster and easier but the tires on the truck were too wide and wouldn’t let it pivot so we ended up taking them off and strapping the front axle right to the dolly.

We finally got on the road around 1:00 pm. Because of the weight of the truck I drove in 3rd all the way home and we were doing about 55-60 most of the way. Anyone that’s ever seen my truck in person knows it’s a little on the loud side because of the straight pipes, well it was really loud screaming away at 2800-3000 rpms on the free way. As loud as it was it did go pretty smoothly. We passed several cops / troopers and even got passed by one cop and none of them even looked at us twice. Around 11:00 pm, 380 some miles, about 50 gallons of gas and we finally made it home.

Now you may be wondering why I went though so much trouble to drag this pile home. If you look at the zoomed in picture of the grill you will see it. This truck has a sbc 400 and it should be the 509 block which is a high nickel casting with 2 bolt mains. These are getting super hard to find and I managed to get the entire truck cheaper than the last 3 509 blocks that I have watched on eBay. The 400 will get built up over time and eventually end up in my camaro. Other than the engine and some of the plow parts the rest of the truck will all be sold off as parts or recycled as scrap steel. If your interested in anything let me know, I will have a post in the classified area soon.

-Full floating axles with 4:10 gears (reserved as of now) these would be good for lifting a ½ truck.
-TH350 Transmission with or without the NP203 fulltime transfer case
-Plow blade and frame ( I’m keeping the hydraulic parts )
-3/4 Ton springs
-Sliding rear window
-Vin Plate with Clean Title?? Not sure if that’s really legal or not though

Pretty much everything else is so rusted out it’s not worth anything so it’s going to get scrapped. But like I said let me know if you’re interested in something

68RR440
07-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Whats a "509" 400 worth?
What did you pay for the truck?
The VIN/title thing is very illegal, just so you know.

Knyghtmare
07-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Nice find. Damn that truck is rough.

PonyKiller87
07-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Whats a "509" 400 worth?
What did you pay for the truck?
The VIN/title thing is very illegal, just so you know.

Most of the 509 bare blocks on ebay go for about $200-400 ususaly closer to 400. Thats just for the block. I got the block heads, crank, balancer..... and a big $hitty rusty truck bolted to it.

I only mentioned the vin thing because I heard of people doing it with custom cars that were built with a salvage tittle. If its illegal then I wont get involved with it.

wikked
07-26-2006, 12:01 PM
380 some miles, about 50 gallons of gas and we finally made it home.

7.6mpg... ouchy! :)

PonyKiller87
07-26-2006, 12:04 PM

Yeah not using Over Drive and dragging 5000lbs of rust will do that. It actualy wasnt that bad, must have been closer to 35-40 gal because according to the pump and my trip odomiter I was getting around 11 mpg.

pOrk
07-26-2006, 01:47 PM
I only mentioned the vin thing because I heard of people doing it with custom cars that were built with a salvage tittle. If its illegal then I wont get involved with it.

Its not illegal to sell it, at all. Sell it as a Historical document with tag, 100% legal. Its illegal to bolt the tag onto a vehicle and call it original, not to sell it for historical reference :thumbsup

Anakonda69
07-26-2006, 03:19 PM
wow that thing is ****.....lol

Moparjim
07-26-2006, 03:29 PM
It is not even illegal to use that title and tag and "rebody" a car as long as its a clean title. Pork is right, the only illegal part is if you then try to pass it off as original.

PonyKiller87
07-26-2006, 05:26 PM
wow that thing is ****.....lol

Yes it is. :headbang

subliminal1284
07-26-2006, 05:32 PM
I say keep the truck and send a vid of it into pimp my ride!! lmao

PonyKiller87
07-27-2006, 07:37 AM
I say keep the truck and send a vid of it into pimp my ride!! lmao

There isn't enough bondo in the world for Pimp My Ride to fix this truck.

oski3664
07-27-2006, 10:38 AM
So here's the suggested plan for mr ponykiller... take it, strip it bare, throw some monster ass tires on it, tubeframe the whole thing, and throw the 350 sitting in his garage in the vacant engine bay... WHO'S WITH ME ON THIS ONE??:headbang :headbang :headbang

Monstr913
07-27-2006, 11:36 AM
im with you i even got some old bfg 35s layin in the barn and with the help of a sawall we'll make em' fit....sorry kevin i like his idea also then we could bury it in the bosch's pond

Cjburn
07-27-2006, 03:14 PM
The first car I ever got to drive was a 1977 GMC Vandurra with the 400 small block. I beat the living piss out of that van, it actually went pretty damned good for what it was...

Lash
07-27-2006, 03:31 PM
I think I saw you picking up the dolly at russ' house..lol.

PonyKiller87
07-28-2006, 07:30 AM
The first car I ever got to drive was a 1977 GMC Vandurra with the 400 small block. I beat the living piss out of that van, it actually went pretty damned good for what it was...

From what Ive read the stock 400s made alot of torque but were kind of dogs. They had the 70's smog heads on them and low compression. Its not to tough to find a 400, but most of the ones out there are either 4 bolt or the weaker 2 bolt castings. All the stuff that I found said that the strongest 400 will be a 509 block which all had a high nickel content, then you get the splayed 4 blot main caps. The factory 4 bolts were fairly weak because they had less meat in the webing because of the extra bolts going straight in. Most 509's came in mid to late 70s trucks but they were also found in a few other things.

PonyKiller87
08-29-2006, 11:52 AM
Well I finaly got around to yanking the engine out. Talk about huge PITA. I pulled the engine, transmission and transfer case all at one time. I think that probably weighed around 1000-1500lbs, I wasnt able to move the hoist because it was so heavy so I hooked a tow strap to my dd truck and to the hoist and had Katie drag it as I made sure it cleared everything. Once it was out I finaly got a chance to check all the casting numbers and go figure the damn engine is a 817 block. Its still a 400, just a slightly less desireable block. Now I just have to seperate everything, clean it up a little and then some of the parts will start getting sold off and out of my garage. Anyone need anything?

Waver
08-29-2006, 11:59 AM
Well my buddy might be interested in all of the 4wd junk if it works....to convert his 2wd to 4wd

d0nut
08-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Ouch x2!

We did 1215 miles over the weekend on 92 gal.

Gas in OH was $2.47 a gal. :wooo

I hate WI........

PonyKiller87
08-29-2006, 01:09 PM
Well my buddy might be interested in all of the 4wd junk if it works....to convert his 2wd to 4wd

The guy said everything worked good when he parked it because of the spun bearing in the engine. If he wants it all tell him to come by and look at it or make me an offer or something.