PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky Steering on my Z71

DirtyMax
07-25-2006, 12:11 PM
So I have this annoying noise coming from under the dash on my 2005 Silverado when I turn the wheel. Sounds almost like a grommet or something else rubber binding. It's not a power steering type noise! Anyone work on these? Is there a zerk under there or something I can hit? It's definitely on the inside of the truck somewhere and it's driving me NUTS! It'd be a shame to take it in if it's something I can just fix myself in 5 mins.

Thanks!

Sleeper Sierra
07-25-2006, 06:35 PM
it is not a 5 minute fix it takes about an hour. go to your local gm parts department and ask for a stub shaft lube kit. if you get a competent parts guy you will be able to fix your problem

DirtyMax
07-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Is it something fairly costly? And it is easy but just time comsuming? If so, screw it.. I'll take it in and make them do it under warranty. I'm competent but no sense me crawling under there for an hour if it's a big pain, right?

Thanks for the heads up!

juicedimpss
07-26-2006, 10:35 AM
make them do it under warranty.
my 04 had a clunk in the steering shaft,turns out there was a recall on it.

bobo
07-29-2006, 03:32 PM
intermediate shaft...mine is doing the same thing.

SLONOMA
07-30-2006, 08:41 PM
the intermediate shaft has an obvious clunk in the steering wheel, which is what the lube kit is for. I've seen a few k-trucks that have a slight squeak noise from the gromet that goes around the steering shaft when it goes threw the fire wall. I just take any kind of decent grease, usually just wheel bearing greast, and lube up the gromet and that usually solves the problem.

DirtyMax
08-03-2006, 10:01 PM
^^^ Hmmm.... this sounds more like it. It sounds like a grommet type squeal very much. Mine doesnt clunk at all.... yet

Thanks for the input everyone. :thumbsup