PDA

View Full Version : Any siding experts here? Can you paint aluminum siding?

Yooformula
07-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Mine is faded and WHITE and I wont have the cash to redo it so I thought about painting it. Is this feasible or will something like this just ruin it already?

Car Guy
07-24-2006, 10:13 PM
Well if it's faded already I would think that some fresh paint couldn't be any worse(it would probably be alot better honestly), and hell, you can paint anything but how long it's going to last I'm not sure of....

03CVLX
07-24-2006, 10:13 PM
Well, I would not use the word "expert" to describe me, but I know my neighbor painted his aluminum at least 15 years ago and it still looks just fine. If you look at it close you can tell it was painted, but it does not look bad, I would get some of that cleaner for siding, TSP I believe its called and use it before you paint.

It also depends on your color choice, my neighbor painted white siding, white again. My parents painted Dark Red siding, a dark Green color and that was a PITA trying to cover that Red color. Good Luck with it.

hrsp
07-24-2006, 10:27 PM
YES YOU CAN!!!!!! if you have a pressure washer use that first...then your good to go

Yooformula
07-24-2006, 10:31 PM
done deal! We picked out paint colors already and dld some tips for this! I cant wait to get rid of that chaulky dolor.

DirtyMax
07-25-2006, 12:14 AM
YES YOU CAN!!!!!! if you have a pressure washer use that first...then your good to go

^^ Yeah, what he said. You'll be good for a long while, just don't skimp on the quality of the paint! :thumbsup

jbiscuit
07-25-2006, 07:35 AM
yep, painted mine this summer. I agree, you can tell it was painted when you get close to it but it looks SO much better than the chalky white aluminum. Roll it Yoos!

UnderPSI
07-25-2006, 09:37 AM
pressure washer The pressure washer is Very important. The paint won't stick if you don't wash it really really good. It will make a huge mess when you wash it too everything turns white, so move the cars and anything important that is near the house, outside furniture and things.

theavenger333
07-25-2006, 09:47 AM
i would think using a paint sprayer would turn out better? dunno

jbiscuit
07-25-2006, 09:58 AM
paint sprayer is ideal but be prepared to spend a TON of time covering and masking off EVERYTHING. Also, you can't paint on days with a breeze or you will have white dots on your garage, fence, car...rolling it went fast on my house. If its REALLY chalky, you will need 2 coats since the siding isn't even white anymore. I did one for now on my house but mine actually needs 2.

theavenger333
07-25-2006, 10:47 AM
yeah, thats usually how painting ANYTIME with a sprayer is..... even inside. only time i saw it REALLY being nice and easy was spraying inside a garage..... we sprayed the base and most of everything inside, then carpet and painted the walls by hand, etc.

GRNDNL
07-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Talk to your paint supplier, prep it exactly like they tell you to (you might spend alot more time preping it than painting). When you brush or roll it on you work the paint into the surface better, if you spray it the paint will just kind of lay on top, better chance of a failure. I'm not a pro either, just my opinion......:)

Berettaspeed
07-25-2006, 05:05 PM
umm to paint the siding at all and for it to last you need to static(SP?) paint it. i dunno the proper way its called, but this way the paint clings to the aluminum. ground out the siding.. and ummm i dunno look it up.,i read it somwhere cause i have some ugly green siding that i want to paint and its aluminum as well.

your neighbors will not be happy if you use a spray gun on your house.. overspray everywhere on the cars windows everything.

BadAzzGTA89
07-25-2006, 05:45 PM
I can ask my neighbor He works for carls painting!
I wanted to do the upper half of my house and the garage.

Cryptic
07-25-2006, 07:59 PM
X2 for TSP..... Maybe power washer first...

u_say_go
07-25-2006, 08:12 PM
I painted my aluminum siding 4 years ago, never used a pressure washer or even primer but it turned out mint!
Word of warning though, seriously.......watch the weather forecast before you start painting!!! I got totally phucked when I painted the garage, it rained about 6 hours after I was done and washed the paint right off- but, the alley looked very pretty with a coat of Glidden Beachcomber Beige! :rolf

theavenger333
07-26-2006, 01:18 AM
^^^^ mmmmmmm, little feller........

jbiscuit
07-26-2006, 07:29 AM
you guys are making this into a bigger deal than it is....u_say_go is spot on....just power wash the siding if you want to. And go nuts. I used Behr exterior and it worked top notch.