PDA

View Full Version : You can tell it's Oshkosh EAA time

Karps TA
07-24-2006, 12:09 PM
Cause of stories like this

EAA crash victims identified

Oshkosh - The man and woman who died Sunday morning when their homebuilt airplane crashed as they approached Wittman Regional Airport have been identified as Clifford and Betty Shaw of Edmonds, Wash., according to **** Knapinski, a spokesman for the Experimental Aircraft Association.

Clifford Shaw, 57, was the pilot of the plane. He is an EAA member. Betty Shaw's age was not immediately available.

Knapinski said the National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the accident.

AirVenture, the annual air show at the EAA grounds, opens today and attracts visitors who fly to attend from points around the globe.

I haven't been paying attention but I'm sure this isn't the first one of these or last one we'll see this week.

Now nothing against the air show. But can you imagine if a yearly car show would have the amount of deaths the EAA show has every year? And we usually only hear about the one that happen in the state. It would take the govt all of 10 seconds to ban the show. Yet it seems like the EAA takes about 10 lives every year.

Think about all the things the govt has cracked down on because of 1 accidental death.

77thor
07-24-2006, 01:39 PM
well, they are for the most part "experimental" and/or home-built aircraft... so they come with a certain amount of risk.

Karps TA
07-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Well I don't even want to get into why I think the words "home built" and "aircraft" should never be used together. The thought that Cletus built himself a flying machine and is willing to test it out over my house, doesn't exactly thrill me.

CruxGNZ
07-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Along those same lines, then why don't we ban doctors from practicing? They kill more people than the EAA Airventure does, hell they kill more people than guns. Don't believe me? Read below.

Doctors:

(A) The number of doctors in the U.S. is 700,000

(B) Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year are 120,000

(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 17.14%

Statistics courtesy of the U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services

Guns:

(A) The number of gun owners in the US is 80,000,000 (yes that's 80
million)

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500

(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.001875%

Statistics courtesy of the FBI

So statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous
than gun owners.

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE
DOCTOR.

Karps TA
07-24-2006, 02:53 PM
My point is not that there are risks, or that the air show shouldn't happen. I'm just wondering why it seems to get a pass.

Imagine Summerfest having 10 deaths every year? Do you think it would still go on?

It just has always seemed like a very odd double standard to me.

STKMACH
07-24-2006, 03:04 PM
Along those same lines, then why don't we ban doctors from practicing? They kill more people than the EAA Airventure does, hell they kill more people than guns. Don't believe me? Read below.

Doctors:

(A) The number of doctors in the U.S. is 700,000

(B) Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year are 120,000

(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 17.14%

Statistics courtesy of the U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services

Guns:

(A) The number of gun owners in the US is 80,000,000 (yes that's 80
million)

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500

(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.001875%

Statistics courtesy of the FBI

So statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous
than gun owners.

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE
DOCTOR.Just cancelled my Dr's appointment...

0TransAm0
07-24-2006, 03:10 PM
LOL and damn sthose facts are kinda disturbing^^^

Karps TA
07-24-2006, 03:27 PM
Total is now up to 3

Hickory, N.C. - A restored Korean War-era military jet crashed today and burst into flames, killing the pilot shortly after the F-86 Sabre had taken off for an air show in Wisconsin, authorities said.

The single-seat plane crashed several hundred feet from the runway, said airport spokeswoman Mandy Pitts. The ejection seat wasn't used, officials said.

I think next year I'm running a pool.

MurphysLaw88GT
07-24-2006, 07:49 PM
fvck, i LOVE f-86's