PDA

View Full Version : ATV recomendations

Memphis
07-20-2006, 11:01 PM
Am looking for a good used 4x4 atv. Anyone wanna share recommendations for a good brand, what to stay away from, what I should look for or ask about? I found a 94 Polaris Magnum pretty reasonable. Anyone have experience with these?

70challenger
07-21-2006, 12:12 AM
as for polaris 4x4's, poeple either love them or hate them. the centrifical clutch works good but you get a drop of water on it and ur stuck. i just bought an 06 polaris predator cross country and I love it. good luck with what ever u end up with!:thumbsup

Cryptic
07-21-2006, 12:17 AM
depends how you want to ride... do you want 6 guys to be able to sit on it when you take it hunting. Be able to run over saplings? Go mudding? Or just go fast?

I liked my Yamaha Warrior 350 (rwd, 4 stroke, 6 speed manual clutch, like a motor cycle)
Much more spirited driving than these autotransmatic or centrifical bullsh!t allthough they have their merits.

theavenger333
07-21-2006, 12:38 AM
most of the major companies make a damn good ATV these days.... Polaris are supposed to be the head of the class

ScottyB14
07-21-2006, 12:58 AM
I would stick with honda or yamaha. I work at a motorcycle/service shop on everything and i see more polaris's than anything as far as atv's. Honda or Yamaha would make a extremely nice and reliable machine.

pOrk
07-21-2006, 01:21 AM
Why 4wd?

sidewayzbimmer
07-21-2006, 01:27 AM
depends how you want to ride... do you want 6 guys to be able to sit on it when you take it hunting. Be able to run over saplings? Go mudding? Or just go fast?

I liked my Yamaha Warrior 350 (rwd, 4 stroke, 6 speed manual clutch, like a motor cycle)
Much more spirited driving than these autotransmatic or centrifical bullsh!t allthough they have their merits.

I also have a 97 warrior 350. Great machine! Only problem is its not getting spark! Tried everything? What type of riding are you going to be doing?

Memphis
07-21-2006, 06:31 AM
Just want a good all around machine. Speed isnt to much of an issue, although fast is always fun. 4x4 for some mudding, snow, whatever. Most of the people I know have 4x4 so I want to be able to trail ride and not get hung up with a 2wd. Single rider primarily, not a hunter so that isnt an issue either. Maybe use it to pull stuff around the yard?

HP ADDICT
07-21-2006, 07:35 AM
Good prices out there on the Kawi prairie 650-700. Great 4x4 with the speed to have fun on the trails.
You could always buy my 03 predator 500 that I never have a chance to ride.

88Nightmare
07-21-2006, 07:40 AM
suzuki seems to have a good quality machine, especially the most recent ones, perhaps 04+. a polaris 500HO 4x4 would be nice though...

88Nightmare
07-21-2006, 07:42 AM
on second thought, in all honesty, a friend of mine has a 2wd 4 stroke honda 350ex. peppy motherfvcker. pulls the front end up just blippin the throttle. 5 speed manual clutch. nice ride. electric start. any good rider knows how to get a 2wd unstuck anyway, just gotta get some skills. its got plenty of torque and power. No need for this high displacement fancy shmancy atv's. Look into a nice honda 350 or 400ex, you could find one for 2g's and under.

Brandon W.
07-21-2006, 08:09 AM
i would recommend the Polaris Scrambler. the older ones like 1998 or something like that came in the 2-Stroke and the new ones are 4-strokes. there 4wd or 2wd they have that on-demand 4wd.push a button and your in 4wd. there pretty peppy as far as speed goes. they are a over all a fun machine. and they are pretty cheap to. a new one is around $4500.and they are pretty reliable.and my scrambler "1996 2-stroke" had no problem pulling the front tires off the Ground.

T-Bag
07-21-2006, 08:55 AM
I'd recommend a Honda Foreman. I had a 1999 Foreman 450 ES and loved the thing. They are one of the most reliable 4x4's around. The only disadvantage is the "sealed" drum brakes which...aren't really sealed.

HP ADDICT
07-21-2006, 09:59 AM
i would recommend the Polaris Scrambler. the older ones like 1998 or something like that came in the 2-Stroke and the new ones are 4-strokes. there 4wd or 2wd they have that on-demand 4wd.push a button and your in 4wd. there pretty peppy as far as speed goes. they are a over all a fun machine. and they are pretty cheap to. a new one is around $4500.and they are pretty reliable.and my scrambler "1996 2-stroke" had no problem pulling the front tires off the Ground.
A new scrambler 500 is around $5999 brand new.

pOrk
07-21-2006, 02:19 PM
4wd isnt necessary, imo

0TransAm0
07-21-2006, 03:01 PM

i was looking into a 4 wheeler a couple years ago and the scrammbler was my choice also its something you can have fun with in 2 wheel drive and work in 4x4 so when im racein around its in 2wheel when im up north workin 4x4... but i never got one:crying

Brandon W.
07-21-2006, 04:07 PM
i was looking into a 4 wheeler a couple years ago and the scrammbler was my choice also its something you can have fun with in 2 wheel drive and work in 4x4 so when im racein around its in 2wheel when im up north workin 4x4... but i never got one:crying

i have one that i wouldn't mind Parting with. if your still wanting one.:shades

Sparkyballs
07-21-2006, 05:20 PM
stay away from polaris, Honda foremans and yamahas are the best i have a foreman 450S and have gone through mud up to the headlights and still runs like a champ nice cuz they are air cooled, my dad and a few friends have yamaha grizzlys awesome machine, will literay go through anything, If you know how to ride, liquid cooled so they tend to overheat on real hot days of trail ridin and muddin, Honda or Yamaha 4x4 all the way, if you want speed buy a dirt bike

70challenger
07-21-2006, 09:15 PM
one of my friends has a honda rencon 4x4 and that thing will go through anything. on top of that it has a 3 speed automatic similer to a car trans and it works awesome

98whitegpgt
07-21-2006, 09:18 PM
DO NOT BUY POLARIS. I could go on for days about why not to. ex: guy up north on the trail had his big bad brand new 700 out. He was pulled on the side of the trail, so we stopped to see what was up. He was leaking oil from a crack in his motor. Came that way from the factory, this thing had 10 miles on it only......

HP ADDICT
07-21-2006, 09:34 PM
While polaris 4x4s are lacking the Predator 500 sport quad usually is chosen as all sport atv of the year by most of the ATV mags. I have also ridden both the grizzly and the sportsman 500. I can tell you if you want a badass dual sport atv get the Kawi Prarie 700 or the Suzuki Vinsen 700 both are top of the line and have been 4x4 of the year numerous times. They are basically the same atv. Big bores are the way to go and nothing is better then eating a 400ex or warrior on the trails with a 4x4. In 2wd mode it can be hard to keep the 700s wheels on the ground. Don't go 450 you will eventually want bigger. Just my opinion though.

HP ADDICT
07-21-2006, 09:34 PM
If there are so many ATV riders on the board why don't we get a group ride somewhere. I haven't had mine out all year.

Cryptic
07-21-2006, 10:52 PM
Honda or Yamaha would make a extremely nice and reliable machine.

I agree... the guys I hunt with up north beat the living crap out their hondas.. and they just keep taking it. :thumbsup

My Yamaha took alot of abuse... me and my 2 brothers all learned to shift a clutch on that thing. it never gave us a single problem. Just gas and oil... ohh and about 3 sets of tires.

70challenger
07-21-2006, 10:53 PM
good thing i got a fuji motor:headbang (or maybe its a bad thing:punch: )

Cryptic
07-21-2006, 10:57 PM
I've never been stuck with 2wd.... its also lighter so you can through it around like nothing.

I've have nothing to say bad about 4x4's their just heavier, and generally are bigger overall... more racks to carry stuff or people.

88Nightmare
07-22-2006, 07:27 AM
how would a liquid cooled machine run hotter after a day of trail riding? the slightest bit of dirt on the cooling fins of an air cooled motor effect cooling...

DirtyMax
07-23-2006, 04:40 PM
I just bought a 2006 Rincon. I haven't even ridden it yet but I did a ton of homework reading up on them. It seems like a nice machine. Hondas have never let me down like some other mfrs. have in the past! :thumbsup

Memphis
07-23-2006, 07:12 PM
Other machines like which???I looked at a yamaha bruin 2004 350 4x4 today. Any thoughts?

DirtyMax
07-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Other machines like which???I looked at a yamaha bruin 2004 350 4x4 today. Any thoughts?

Polaris Sportsman didn't like much.. scratch that ANY.. water. The least little water gets into the belt housing and yer screwed because the belt slips to no end. Plus compared to other machines in its class, it felt very underpowered.

Suzuki Z400 was so fragile. Frame cracked at the welds, swingarm mounted chain tensioner cracked. And I take care of my stuff too..

Depending on what you want it for, I think you'd really like the Bruin. We almost bought that one for my girlfriend but then opted to get the Kodiak 450 because she liked the way the IRS quad handled a little better and she really bought into the salesman's pitch about wanting liquid cooled. Since she was the one spending the $, she might as well get what she wanted. A Bruin is a very capable machine though. It will push snow around, run around on the trails, good for yardwork, etc. Have had great luck with the Ultramatic tranny in her machine so far, same one as is in the Bruin. We've sunk it pretty far into water and puddles and never once did it slip... Just make sure on that machine that the swingarm bushings aren't all slopped out and you should be good to go!

70challenger
07-23-2006, 10:16 PM
i'm all down for a group ride. anyone else?

DirtyMax
07-24-2006, 08:11 AM
If we are free that weekend, we'd likely go. Post up when you set something up...

Brandon W.
07-24-2006, 10:19 AM
im up for a Group ride. just post a date and ill see if i can make it.

DirtyMax
07-24-2006, 10:56 AM
We're going up to our place near Crivitz this weekend to ride. We have 120 acres to ride on Saturday and we'll probbaly be going to ride trails all day Sunday. It's a little short notice (I didn't know anyone on here rode) but maybe next time some folks can join us.

My buddy set up a small local ATV web site. www.wiatv.com for a few us to plan rides, recap rides, talk smack, etc. If you're local, you should sign up and check it out.

Memphis
07-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Well, I bought the '04 Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4. So far, so good I like what I've seen. Thanks for the advice!!

70challenger
07-26-2006, 11:01 PM
i know of a place out in lannon (real close to sussex) that we can all go to and its free. LOTS of jumps, tabletops, doubles, ect. great place for quads and dirtbikes. theres a little mud for you 4x4 guys. and best of all its free to ride at. any suggestions for dates?

Brandon W.
07-26-2006, 11:07 PM
i know of a place out in lannon (real close to sussex) that we can all go to and its free. LOTS of jumps, tabletops, doubles, ect. great place for quads and dirtbikes. theres a little mud for you 4x4 guys. and best of all its free to ride at. any suggestions for dates?

id be up for it if i can get the race machine Running. well its not really a "race" Machine it's a 1996 Scrambler thats bored .20 and fully ported.getting a clutch/reeds/exhaust/ fox racing suspension. anywho im up for a group ride just make a Date and ill bust my balls to get it back running.

DirtyMax
07-26-2006, 11:10 PM

Hell yes, we'd go. Can you go anytime you want to? Is this some place private or what? Sorry for all the questions... but you've sparked my interest. We're going up north this weekend and I was going to leave the machines up there for a month til we went back next but if there's somewhere legit down here to ride, I'd trailer them home...

70challenger
07-26-2006, 11:15 PM
its a private land thats going to be developed soon. i think you can go out there anytime. i usually go out there saturdays or sundays during the day. as long as we dont wreck the place and clean up all of our stuff we can use the place. ill see if i can find a short clip of the place to give you a general idea.

70challenger
07-26-2006, 11:20 PM
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/3+person+wheelie/0/38c3d593-b1be-46cc-ab9a-78ae12b6a70b.htm

here a vid that someone else took in march (i think). my four wheeler is the muddy black one right in front

DirtyMax
07-26-2006, 11:24 PM
Do you know the owner(s)? I just don't wanna be out there having fun and getting a $200 ticket for trespassing... :(

70challenger
07-26-2006, 11:31 PM
dont know the owners but there is a guy that supervises the land and hes stops out and yells at people if they're doin stupid sh!t without helmets on. otherwise we've had no problems

97z2801ss
07-26-2006, 11:40 PM

The warrior 350 is sweet man! we sell alot of em at work....:headbang