PDA

View Full Version : Any good tranny builders in the area?

fireguyrick
07-11-2006, 11:15 PM
Well, starting to plan out some modifications for the Trailblazer SS, and it is looking like the 4L70E might need to get beefed up. So, does anyone know of a shop that is reputable in the area to beef up a tranny. Most likely I will need to hold around 500awhp or so and 400awtq or so. Really depends on how limiting the LS2 is going to be, the power will not come in the form of Nitrous either, as I am looking at having a custom turbo setup with full bolt ons.

I figure I should address the tranny prior to other areas.

Thanks

Rick

88Nightmare
07-11-2006, 11:50 PM
Rick, talk to fritz on MMA.

Philly-O
07-11-2006, 11:50 PM
i have had great luck with dunham's transmissions with everything we have done in the past, plus he is a buddy of mine.

Heat Seeker WS6
07-12-2006, 12:21 AM
Darrels in Waukesha did my 700R4 with alot of upgrades and am very happy. 262-526-1077

fireguyrick
07-12-2006, 01:59 AM
Darrels in Waukesha did my 700R4 with alot of upgrades and am very happy. 262-526-1077

It seems like the 4L70E is almost like a beefed up 700R4. If you don't mind me asking, what did you have them do?

Rick

davidrab
07-12-2006, 04:03 AM
Did you end up getting a 2wd or AWD?

Dave

Heat Seeker WS6
07-12-2006, 08:00 AM
My knowlege on trannys is pretty limited but the 700R4 is all mechanical whereas the 4L70E is electronically controlled. I basicly have a full 4 speed manual valvebody- but can leave it in drive if I dont want to shift. I can up or downshift at any speed or rpm like a manual but without a clutch. Difference between stock 700R4's and that mine is mine now built to do that and not fry itself out. They upgraded just about everything but the tranny housing itself and they also had a custom stall built based upon my cam and other mods to maximize efficiency and power transfer.

BAD LS1
07-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Just proper tuning to the trans to keep it from slipping and a aux cooler will allow that tranny to hold up just fine.

SLOW C5 is on his original 4L60E trans yet that had a 4000 stall conveter witha 2.8 STR and spray going through it and runs high 10's.... Still shifts perfect, trans fluid is perfect looking/smelling. I tweaked the trans tune a long time ago and he put a cooler on it, and its held up to ALOT of pounding.

I put a 3000 stall Yank converter in David Rab's AWD TB-SS about 2 months ago, his was tuned prior and hits hard as hell and felt great, and would blow the left front wheel off on a hard launch.

Those tranny kinda shift like garbage stock, my monte was horrible before i tweaked the trans.

Its 200$ for the credits to tune the entier PCM and TCM with HP tuner's.

Seriously i think you should save your money, and spend it on other parts. That trans is the best new stock GM auto yet besides an Allison 6 speed. and the T-case is bullet proof as well.

fireguyrick
07-12-2006, 10:07 AM
Did you end up getting a 2wd or AWD?

Dave

We got the AWD, which is why I am more concerned about the Tranny. AWD launches tend to be alor rougher on tranny's. I know the T Case is pretty damn strong, and the rear end is fairly strong also.

Tom, don't worry I was thinking of talking to you about tuning for it, just depends how comfortable you would be with tuning a custom one off setup.

Rick

BAD LS1
07-12-2006, 10:18 AM
Tom, don't worry I was thinking of talking to you about tuning for it, just depends how comfortable you would be with tuning a custom one off setup.

Rick

Not a problem, HP tuner's makes a cable that you can log wide band inputs right in throug the cable and then it graphs it on their scanner and also they have 2 bar map implementation now too.

My cable doesnt support any of that, so you may need to get your own cable to run 2-bar Map stuff.

I'd be comfortable dialing in a boosted app, its deff not any worse than trying to make a car with a HUGE cam have the same manners of a stock car.

It super easy to dial in timing for boost and the fueling would be a breeze with a 2-bar MAP system.

juicedimpss
07-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Just proper tuning to the trans to keep it from slipping and a aux cooler will allow that tranny to hold up just fine.

i agree with that,dont mess with it if its not broke.it is amazing how much abuse these things will take before they really come apart.

BAD LS1
07-12-2006, 10:44 AM
i agree with that,dont mess with it if its not broke.it is amazing how much abuse these things will take before they really come apart.

Exactly! as they ALWAYS say, "Your stock tranny will always be your best tranny."

RPM's are what kill these GM trans it seems, after reading up on that new 6 speed auto in the C6 vette's... It seems they went ALONG ways to reduce rotating mass and other measure to prevent it from chunking out.

It is hit or miss on stock tranny's, but as a whole they can survive world war 3 with proper provisions being put in place early in its life. " Make it clamp, and keep it cool" i once read in a auto trans article...

Now im just preaching to the choir LOL

jbiscuit
07-12-2006, 10:47 AM
a custom turbo TB-SS would be really cool actually. Nothing crazy, just a single snail and a front mount.... with a nice custom turbo back. Keep it simple and stock appearing. You'd have a real winner I think with that

BAD LS1
07-12-2006, 10:53 AM
And a magazine centerfold too! You would have the ONLY one around in the country.

JohnnyT
07-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Damm Rick, I must have done something seriously wrong with my life. I want to do what you do for a living so I can afford the kind of toys you have!

JC70SS
07-12-2006, 12:07 PM
trans masters, Watertown Wi

fireguyrick
07-12-2006, 12:51 PM
Damm Rick, I must have done something seriously wrong with my life. I want to do what you do for a living so I can afford the kind of toys you have!

This is not a project that is going to happen overnight. By the time it is done, I am sure there will be multiple other TBSS with turbo kits. One hold back is that the shop I work with on fabrication will need the car for awhile. So, I might have to pick up a junker for the wife for a short period of time do to school for both of us in the fall.

Rick

jbiscuit
07-12-2006, 12:54 PM
I have a "beater" station wagon I can sell ya :)

JohnnyT
07-12-2006, 01:07 PM
I have a "beater" station wagon I can sell ya :)

I have a GVR4 or two I could part with as well... :)

fireguyrick
07-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Wifey needs auto, sorry. I started teaching her to drive Manual, and she was doing well....but she is NOT learning anything else on my STi. I have enough little issues with it with my driving.

Rick

jbiscuit
07-12-2006, 01:13 PM
4EAT swap!

DirtyMax
07-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Doh. My bad. This thread is about those kind of trannys. I was expecting something completely different.. :goof

juicedimpss
07-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Doh. My bad. This thread is about those kind of trannys. I was expecting something completely different.. :goof
omfg :rolf

BAD LS1
07-12-2006, 01:29 PM

BWAHAHAHAHHA another mind in the gutter LOL Were multiplying!

jbiscuit
07-12-2006, 01:39 PM
here is my contribution to the built tranny topic:

http://www.spencersonline.com/images/spencers/products/processed/00482570.zoom.a.jpg

y2kws6
07-12-2006, 08:37 PM
I have a certified GM tranny repair/modify person. PM me for info. He is very quick and resonably priced.

Dan