PDA

View Full Version : Looking for freon

PB86MCSS
07-11-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm looking to get some freon to re-charge the A/C on my beater LeSabre. Car isn't worth retrofitting with all new components and putting in R-134a, IMO....anyone have any leads where to get some freon in the area? Or do I have to run to Illinois...TIA!

Prince Valiant
07-11-2006, 11:19 AM
I've tried in the area...but was left running to IL. One nice thing is that you can also go to white castle while you are down there, lol.

I don't know about the freon though...I got my r-134 from the gurnee pep boys....just take 94 to 41 (avoiding the tolls), and then continue to grand ave via 41. Head east on grand ave until the first large intersection and head south. Pep boys is right there on the right, two buildings after the intersection.

PB86MCSS
07-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the tip...and directions :D.

I heard R-12 and R-134a doesn't mix, any truth to that rumor? Another person I know apparently put some R-134a into a R-12 system and it worked fine. If it mixes then I'll go the R-134a route...I suppose it can't hurt to try but I'd rather not gunk up the whole system if I know it won't work.

88Nightmare
07-11-2006, 11:47 AM
I have instructions on how to change it over to 134. I dont think you have to change any components, just totally empty the system and refill it or something. However I have 4 unopened cans of 134a and 3 cans of refridgerant oil id sell ya.

Prince Valiant
07-11-2006, 11:51 AM
It's not that it doesn't mix...it's just pretty ineffective to do so. Mixing the two will decrease compressor and AC performance, and increase the load on the compressor, possibly leading to failure.

I thought I remember hearing that the seals for the r12 systems don't do well with r134. I heard of people just filling with r134 too, but that you should evac all the r12 before doing so...and then make sure you add compressor oil to the mix when adding r134.

Rocket Power
07-11-2006, 11:55 AM
I'll be picking up a conversion kit myself in Ohio :headbang for the wagon. I like how we in WI can't be trusted w/o a license but you can buy it on the shelf at Walmart in other states.

PB86MCSS
07-11-2006, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the info again...

So the old stuff should be vacuumed out, might be a dumb question but is that something one can do themselves somehow? I definately don't want to splurge and take this car to a shop ($$$) since its not THAT important, hopefully its something I can do myself with some effort and a retrofit kit and if need be, a few other small items(seals, vacuum?).

GRAMPS SS
07-11-2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the info again...

So the old stuff should be vacuumed out, might be a dumb question but is that something one can do themselves somehow? I definately don't want to splurge and take this car to a shop ($$$) since its not THAT important, hopefully its something I can do myself with some effort and a retrofit kit and if need be, a few other small items(seals, vacuum?).
to vacumed it out you need a 3000.00 machine....you have to go to zero and start from there ...my blazer was switched over and theyn had to replace some parts to do so....total cost was around 200.00 plus the new freon......

88Nightmare
07-11-2006, 12:22 PM
just take a phillips screw driver and hold your valve open to drain all the old crap out on the high and low side. Our atmosphere is already ****ed up, what's a little more eh?

84hurst
07-11-2006, 12:27 PM
One thing you could do is take your car to the Oak Creek MATC Campus. I went there for the Auto Maintenance Program. They can recharge your A/C for you. All you have to pay is for the refridgerant. One down side is that there is usually a wait to get in there, and remember, you have students working on your car w/ teacher supervision.

GRAMPS SS
07-11-2006, 12:28 PM
just take a phillips screw driver and hold your valve open to drain all the old crap out on the high and low side. Our atmosphere is already ****ed up, what's a little more eh?

that will work too...never thought of that
OZONE ALERT...........

Baddriver01
07-11-2006, 12:33 PM

Please don't do this...seriously...I hope you were kidding. Just because there is rat droppings in your hotdog doesn't mean it's ok for a rat to sh!t in the bun. :wooo

Slow Joe
07-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Please don't do this...seriously...I hope you were kidding. Just because there is rat droppings in your hotdog doesn't mean it's ok for a rat to sh!t in the bun. :wooo

That's where it goes when it needs to be recharged anyways... Just realize this if it needs to be recharged, there's a leak somewhere... Freon don't go bad, it leaks out! You need to use the stuff with the dye to trace where the leak is. It will show up purple under a black light... Lemme ask one of our techs here and I'll send you a PM...

Rocket Power
07-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Or you could pull a vacuum with one of these if you have a compressor.
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=92475&CategoryName=AUTOMOTIVE&SubCategoryName=AUTOSHOP

or

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=3952&CategoryName=AUTOMOTIVE&SubCategoryName=AUTOSHOP

Prince Valiant
07-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Sure, why not? We have to counteract global warming you know?

Yooformula
07-11-2006, 02:43 PM
Umm what do you think happens to it when it leaks out?

STKMACH
07-11-2006, 11:18 PM
Ozone and Freon Fraud http://www.sweetliberty.org/issues/environment/ozonefreon_fraud.htm

awsomeears
07-12-2006, 12:31 AM
You need a RECOVERY MACHINE and Tank. Then you pump nitrogen in it, not sure what PSI because automotive A/C stuff has rubber hoses. When I pump nitrogen into a Residential A/C unit I charge to 400 psi :-)

I would imagine 100 psi would be fine for auto use.

Nitrogen cleans up and grabs moisture in the lines.

Then you Vac in down, then add the freon.

If your system is Fully Charged you can either Break the law and open the scrader valve, or just Break down and go somwhere to get it done.

I would not sugest breaking the law, its not a good practice to do.

STKMACH
07-12-2006, 12:45 AM
You need a RECOVERY MACHINE and Tank. Then you pump nitrogen in it, not sure what PSI because automotive A/C stuff has rubber hoses. When I pump nitrogen into a Residential A/C unit I charge to 400 psi :-)

I would imagine 100 psi would be fine for auto use.

Nitrogen cleans up and grabs moisture in the lines.

Then you Vac in down, then add the freon.

If your system is Fully Charged you can either Break the law and open the scrader valve, or just Break down and go somwhere to get it done.

I would not sugest breaking the law, its not a good practice to do.10,000 dollar fine if caught dumping a charge of freon to the law breaker and a 10,000 dollar reward for turning in the law breaker.

Prince Valiant
07-12-2006, 08:46 AM
Auto psi's are only around 25-30psi iirc...more often you look on the tag under the hood and pump some 2lbs or so....

Baddriver01
07-12-2006, 08:56 AM
Ozone and Freon Fraud http://www.sweetliberty.org/issues/environment/ozonefreon_fraud.htm

That goodness I believe everything I read on the Internet without checking the facts and sources behind them. :rolleyes: Scientifically there was so much wrong with that I don't even know where to start.

In the end, it's still illegal to knowingly release freon, r134, r12, CFC's etc into the environment. If it leaks from your car the EPA will probably not charge you, but if you do it intentionally I would support a fine.

We wonder why WI has these "unnecessary rules" when you can buy the recharge kits (that will leak out again anyway) at Walmart in other states. Read some of the above comments, and see why...

Oh and Freon won't reverse global warming, it acts as a greenhouse gas and actually traps heat. It makes it worse.

Baddriver01
07-12-2006, 08:57 AM
10,000 dollar fine if caught dumping a charge of freon to the law breaker and a 10,000 dollar reward for turning in the law breaker.

I was not aware of those figures, is that local WI law or national?

Prince Valiant
07-12-2006, 09:10 AM
boy...talk about a kid with no humor. I think it's a medical condition.

Karps TA
07-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Hey, who let Al Gore in here?

Baddriver01
07-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Ugh...I'd expect this from the younger members of the site but not guys my own age... me <-----:punch: Of course, I DID invent the internet :banana1:

STKMACH
07-12-2006, 11:49 AM
I was not aware of those figures, is that local WI law or national? I do know for sure it's a Wisconsin law.

STKMACH
07-12-2006, 11:56 AM
That goodness I believe everything I read on the Internet without checking the facts and sources behind them. :rolleyes: Scientifically there was so much wrong with that I don't even know where to start.

In the end, it's still illegal to knowingly release freon, r134, r12, CFC's etc into the environment. If it leaks from your car the EPA will probably not charge you, but if you do it intentionally I would support a fine.

We wonder why WI has these "unnecessary rules" when you can buy the recharge kits (that will leak out again anyway) at Walmart in other states. Read some of the above comments, and see why...

Oh and Freon won't reverse global warming, it acts as a greenhouse gas and actually traps heat. It makes it worse.Why are you quoting me on some others comments??????

Baddriver01
07-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Sorry, the link you gave made some of those comments. I did find one source that mentioned the $10K reward for reporting violations...

http://www.tipages.com/nci/

The site must be a prepatory site for HVAC training. Good call!!!

Rocket Power
07-12-2006, 12:19 PM
Hey, who let Al Gore in here?
:rolf :rolf :rolf

awsomeears
07-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Auto psi's are only around 25-30psi iirc...more often you look on the tag under the hood and pump some 2lbs or so....

Cool.

I just learned somthing new :thumbsup

not being sarcastic either :thumbsup

Berettaspeed
07-12-2006, 07:13 PM
I do know for sure it's a Wisconsin law.

freon is a federal controled subsance or whatever. you have to have a license from the state just to buy and or service it. its illegal to service freon without a license. R12 is WAYYYYYY more expensive than R134. the fittings are different. you can buy adapters and such to make it work. you just have to emtpy EVERYTHING out from the old system otherwise you would waste your time. so alot of shops rather buy EVERYTHING new rather than hope all the R12 is out.

Im waiting on my results from ASE for my A/C and heating cert. :)) hope i passed

Dom87SS
07-12-2006, 07:33 PM
There is a guy on chitownracing.com in the forum that is recharging ac system for $55 total, here is the post, you need to regiister first.

http://www.chitownracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48741

STKMACH
07-12-2006, 07:40 PM
freon is a federal controled subsance or whatever. you have to have a license from the state just to buy and or service it. its illegal to service freon without a license. R12 is WAYYYYYY more expensive than R134. the fittings are different. you can buy adapters and such to make it work. you just have to emtpy EVERYTHING out from the old system otherwise you would waste your time. so alot of shops rather buy EVERYTHING new rather than hope all the R12 is out.

Im waiting on my results from ASE for my A/C and heating cert. :)) hope i passed You can buy R22 in Illinois without a CFC certification, R12 is no longer being produced thats why it's so expensive up to $50.00/LB and R22 will be out of production by the year 2012 if I rember correctly. I hope you passed by the way.

Berettaspeed
07-12-2006, 07:52 PM
I know some states you can buy R134... but i don't understand how you can get bottles of the R134 in a can. it makes no sense. or did they stop that? cause my dad also has R134 in a can in the basement thats been there for years.

Baddriver01
07-12-2006, 10:30 PM

Im waiting on my results from ASE for my A/C and heating cert. :)) hope i passed

Good luck :thumbsup, what are you trying to get into... HVAC, automotive???

Dom87SS
07-12-2006, 11:20 PM
tons of 134a for sale at any wal mart in IL

Baddriver01
07-13-2006, 02:11 PM
tons of 134a for sale at any wal mart in IL

Yes, most states don't regulate the use of recharge kits, WI is picky that way. The r134 is the current refrigerant for ac and metal cleaning techniques. The r12 was discontinued in the US. Most people from the area do go to IL to buy it if they can. I guess my beef (which pissed a lot of people off I guess) was an environmental one as opposed to an automotive one. Serves me right:nutkick

88Nightmare
07-13-2006, 05:30 PM
I ran to illinois to pick up my 134a. I can score 202A from work, but I dont think any cars use that stuff :D