PDA

View Full Version : t-stat removal?

Cleveland Dave
07-06-2006, 05:03 PM
my car is overheating and has had this problem for a while now...its just worse now.

my dad suspects the thermostat how do i remove it?

theavenger333
07-06-2006, 09:43 PM
follow the big thick upper radiator hose to the block. theres usually a housing there, take it off, let the excess spill out, and there should be the thermostat. thats how it usually works?

USMARINE1108
07-06-2006, 10:39 PM
Just drain the radiator (unscrew the knob on the back/bottom/pass side of the radiator) pull the hose off and unbolt the thermostat so you can pull the thermostat out. Put the new one in, making sure you don't pinch the black O ring. Fill it up with 1 jug of Dexicool, then 1 jug of water. Start the car with the cap off and watch the level for about 10 minutes filling until it's full. Not to hard. Are your fans comming on? Is it full? Do the hoses build pressure when the motor is warmed up?

USMARINE1108
07-06-2006, 10:46 PM
If you want to wait a few hours, I can take a pic of the install directions that came with the 160* thermostat I just put in and send it to you.

Cleveland Dave
07-07-2006, 01:51 AM
that would be cool thanks

BAD LS1
07-07-2006, 03:21 PM
http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/fbody/meziere/pics/080removehoses.jpg
http://www.ls1howto.com/howto/fbody/meziere/pics/thumbs/110removethermo.jpg

Its going to piss ALOT, not even worth taking the drain out of the bottom of the rad, besides its plastic, tighter than hell and u could risk breaking it.

Just jack the car up, get a bucket under that general area, get a big ass channel locks and slide the clamp back, remove the hose and then take out those two 10 mm bolts, then the all hell will break loose with orange **** BWHAAHHAAH

PS dont loose the O ring, and make sure its correctly posistioned in the groove on the goose neck when reassembling... It likes to come out of it groove really easy.

The rad cap could be shot too... it will bleed off pressure (which is needed to keep heat in the coolant) and then it will all ow over flow of coolant into the catch tank which will appear as coolant constantly dissapearing... anda smell of coolant when the hood is open.

GTSLOW
07-07-2006, 04:14 PM
[img]

PS dont loose the O ring, and make sure its correctly posistioned in the groove on the goose neck when reassembling... It likes to come out of it groove really easy.

The rad cap could be shot too... it will bleed off pressure (which is needed to keep heat in the coolant) and then it will all ow over flow of coolant into the catch tank which will appear as coolant constantly dissapearing... anda smell of coolant when the hood is open.

Ha that could be my problem. I have this goddamned antifreeze smell under my hood and its driving me crazy!! Car doesnt over heat nor loose coolant, just that smell.

Where's a good place to pickup a new radiator cap?

Crawlin
07-07-2006, 04:31 PM
Farm & Fleet? Autozone? Heiser? ;) aha Just ask Mike to pick one up when he's in here for more studs, haha

DirtyMax
07-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Is that car even driveable? :confused

Cleveland Dave
07-07-2006, 05:11 PM
yes it drives fine...i just wanted to fix the overheating problem before i drive it to milwaukee to dump it off at keiths shop.

DirtyMax
07-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Glad to hear it. Those pics made it seem like it was twisted pretty bad.

wikked
07-08-2006, 06:55 AM
My brother just had a overheating problem...
- replaced the t-stat, nothing.
- replaced the radiator cap, ding ding ding :)

Try the cheap easy fix first.