PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices...

Slow Joe
07-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Are gas prices effecting anyone else or just me? I just put $55 worth of midgrade in the Mustang... It makes me not wanna drive anywhere... Or find something economical in a hurry...

Baddriver01
07-05-2006, 07:58 PM
3.17 here for regular in some places, I just put premium in the TA for 3.29. Believe me my foot is a lot lighter on the gas pedal. Of course, there was a time when I vowed not to drive anymore if it got over 1.50 a gallon.

Hmmm...that $1.99 for E85 doesn't sound so bad anymore, too bad the TA isn't flex fuel :confused

Karps TA
07-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Hmmm...that $1.99 for E85 doesn't sound so bad anymore, too bad the TA isn't flex fuel :confused

Where you finding that? Last I heard even E85 was over $2.50 a gallon.

As for gas prices you gotta understand BP just go busting for manipulating propane prices. So they gotta get the 10 billion in profit somewhere.

Baddriver01
07-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Really??? Serves them right, dirty bastards. :punch:

It is a BP on Hwy 60 that had the E85. Next to Ewald's Ford. There is another E85 in Hartford that has it for 1.99 also (although it may be higher this weekend, I didn't check). I know the citgo's in Milwaukee have been charging a lot more because they're the only ones around with it. There was a proposed bill in the state that would have given tax credit or some monetary aid to stations along expressways that offered E85. But most major oil companies lobbied against it (I wonder why???)

BadAzzGTA89
07-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Were still gonna pay but that is the truth:fire

hrsp
07-05-2006, 08:20 PM
gas prices make me cry:crying :crying :crying

Slow Joe
07-05-2006, 08:50 PM
Yeah... And that was $55 of Midgrade... Too bad the prices of used econoboxes went up because of the gas prices...

Lash
07-05-2006, 08:52 PM
I dont wanna talk about it.

:fire

loud91rs
07-05-2006, 09:23 PM
I try not to drive the celica...45 mpg beating on my bike, 50ish being nice, and $16 to fill it up. Joe go buy an RD350. :headbang

fireguyrick
07-05-2006, 09:31 PM
EH, I still drive the way I always have. I just make changes elsewhere in life to compensate for the gas prices. I figure if I just totally forget about all gift giving holidays, my wife's birthday, and our anniversary it should all be ok.

Rick

By the way, your car does NOT have to be a flex fuel car to run E85. I know of a fair amount of STi's running E85 without any issues, and the STi's have det problems on CA 91 octane fairly often.

Yooformula
07-05-2006, 09:32 PM
3.39 for premium I paid....

wikked
07-05-2006, 09:33 PM
another gas price thread?
shìt Joe... you don't need posts that badly :tomato

Lash
07-05-2006, 09:37 PM
another gas price thread?
shìt Joe... you don't need posts that badly :tomato

:rolf :rolf

:thumbsup

Slow Joe
07-05-2006, 09:39 PM
This isn't the only gas price thread on here? Wow I must be blind... LOL I just wanted to ***** about gas prices, it pissed me off when I tanked up today...

88Nightmare
07-05-2006, 10:08 PM
I heard about running flex fuel on non flex vehicles... What could happen? I have a 2002 Silverado with the 5.3 liter. Its not the flex fuel one either. :( What would happen if I ran E85? Is there a potential for damaging cat's or o2 sensors?

fireguyrick
07-05-2006, 10:43 PM
I heard about running flex fuel on non flex vehicles... What could happen? I have a 2002 Silverado with the 5.3 liter. Its not the flex fuel one either. :( What would happen if I ran E85? Is there a potential for damaging cat's or o2 sensors?

Like I said, I know of a few STi's running on E85 with no issues. Not going to make any guarentees, just saying what I have heared recently.

Here is a list of all Flex Fuel vehicles

http://www.agriculture.state.ia.us/e85vehicles.html

Rick

88Nightmare
07-05-2006, 10:51 PM
yeah see when I bought my truck, the dealer wasnt entirely sure if it was flex fuel, but by judging by certain letters on my vin, they were more leaning towards it NOT being flex fuel. I'd like to run flex fuel, but if something gets damaged, it probably wouldnt be under warranty because I used E85 in a non-flex fuel vehicle...

Slow Joe
07-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Flex fuel also cuts down your gas mileage from my understanding...

Al
07-05-2006, 11:16 PM
Prices going up has you down?!?

I have a very efficient car for sale in the classifieds! It won't cost you too much as well!

Slow Joe
07-05-2006, 11:17 PM
Bwahahaha good plug for your car man...

KillerTA
07-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Flex fuel increases performance because of its higher octane rating and it does decrease mileage.

It's no where near even close to being a replacement for fossil fuels yet. The energy it takes to produce, etc. the actual fuel is almost equal to or greater than the resulting ethanol fuel that is produced, depending on which study you look at.

I think that automakers are pushing it because ethanol isn't counted in the emissions ratings which allows them to produce more trucks without being fined for not meeting pollution requirements.

Corn isn't the most efficient way to produce ethanol either. There is other vegetation that contain greater amounts of ingredient that is used to prduce it.

Slow Joe
07-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Wow you actually said something that didn't piss me off for once...

KillerTA
07-05-2006, 11:32 PM
Wow you actually said something that didn't piss me off for once...
how about a +1?

Slow Joe
07-05-2006, 11:35 PM
Can't do that for a while :rolf I already gave you neg rep for today...

TURTLE
07-05-2006, 11:39 PM
i like filling up the neon with premium for $35.... and that's with the gauge on the "E" peg....

WilliamZ
07-06-2006, 01:07 AM
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2005/09/01/1125589288_9384.jpg

BAD LS1
07-06-2006, 06:46 AM
Yeah this **** kinda hurts right now going from 30$ fill ups and 400 miles to a tank to 43$ fill ups and 330 miles to a tank.

My dad uses E85 in his 05' Sierra, it gets about 20 mpg on regular gas, get almost 15 now on E85.

Cryptic
07-06-2006, 07:08 AM
gas prices make me cry:crying :crying :crying

gas prices make baby jesus cry

Slow Joe
07-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Yeah... $55/tank... 320mi max...

jbiscuit
07-06-2006, 09:36 AM
just wait....they aren't done going up yet....just wait.

DirtyMax
07-06-2006, 09:51 AM
just wait....they aren't done going up yet....just wait.

Yup. Hurricane season is not even here yet...

animal
07-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Yup. Hurricane season is not even here yet...

It is, but it's just dormant.

I still can't wait for the 'canes to start tearing **** up even if it means I go broke over it.

BAD LS1
07-06-2006, 10:46 AM
It is, but it's just dormant.

I still can't wait for the 'canes to start tearing **** up even if it means I go broke over it.

hells yeah!!!

BAD LS1
07-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Yeah... $55/tank... 320mi max...

That car get that bad of MPG? lol

If i keep the monte at 65 mph on the hwy with the cruise, its get 29 mpg on the avg econ. but with city driving and stop and go it drops FAST.

With some beating and lots of city driving i got 22 mpg this tank.

Prince Valiant
07-06-2006, 11:34 AM
I ride my bike 16 miles to work...and that's a pedal bike too.

but I WOULDN'T run e85 in a vehicle not designed for it...one of the differences that all the little seals, fuel lines, injectors, etc are NOT designed for the how caustic the ethanol is...it'll eventually cause failure to the a number of components. Even Older cars can have trouble running just e10 (the "reformulated" stuff mostly sold around here) due to the fact that the ethanol eats away at everything.

I mean, I guess the cars running it can do so because they are able to compensate for the increased volume of e85 needed vs air as the stoichiometric ratio is different (more alchohol is needed per liter of air, hence a large reason for the fuel mileage difference with no performance difference...octane has little to do with it) because of modern fuel injection...a carbed car couldn't and would run WAY too lean...but just because it can run on e85 doesn't mean it should for too long.

GRAMPS SS
07-06-2006, 11:43 AM
yeah see when I bought my truck, the dealer wasnt entirely sure if it was flex fuel, but by judging by certain letters on my vin, they were more leaning towards it NOT being flex fuel. I'd like to run flex fuel, but if something gets damaged, it probably wouldnt be under warranty because I used E85 in a non-flex fuel vehicle...

just anote...i friend has a 2002 Tahoe and he read his oweners book and it said you can run the e85....the first trucks to be able were 2003 now his truck may have been made at the end of the year...check your book and see..it's worth the savings...he has had no complaints with the e85.....just a thought

Slow Joe
07-06-2006, 12:14 PM
That car get that bad of MPG? lol

If i keep the monte at 65 mph on the hwy with the cruise, its get 29 mpg on the avg econ. but with city driving and stop and go it drops FAST.

With some beating and lots of city driving i got 22 mpg this tank.

Well, depends if I'm screwin around or not... That's mainly city driving, since I live in the falls and work in the falls... It gets much better gas mileage on the freeway... :durr

Al
07-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Lately, I have been driving upwards of 100 miles per day, including my job. It seems that I am sitting around 28.3 mpg average according to the little display on my car, but I think I am doing a bit better because the display records all of the mileage back to when the previous owner had the car. When I bought it, it read somewhere around 24 mpg.

According to the 'actual mpg' dashboard display, I seem to average about 35 mpg at a roll while driving through mequon when I maintain between 25 and 55 mph. Above and below that, the mileage drops. What can really scare you is when you start to accelerate from a stop and you get a reading of 4mpg, but I can also get 200mpg when coasting downhill.

With my job, tips have been good lately, but there are still a few stingy people. Just last night, I made a 24 mile round trip to one house and recieved a $1.37 tip: I spent more money on gas just getting there.

Foxkirk Drive and Foxkirk Court in Mequon SUCK!!!

BAD LS1
07-06-2006, 01:20 PM
hmmm i dont know if i want to risk using E85 on the monte... however it does have what appears to be all the "alcohol settings" in the PCM like my dads truck thats meant to run on it and possibly a alcohol sensor in the tank....

I may try 5 gallons in it when its empty once and see if runs ok, watch how far the computer tries to compensate... this would be nice if this would wor, 2.19 a gal, and 105 octane, but like 17 mpg lol **** cant be good for the pump and injectors though if its not meant for it.

Prince Valiant
07-06-2006, 02:09 PM
I wouldn't...it's just too corrosive. They can't even ship e85 gas in traditional pipelines because of how caustic it is...

Crawlin
07-06-2006, 02:10 PM
we had a lady with a new Impala LS run the E85 and it made it run like crap. she made the dealership pay for the damage because she said the salesperson said it was compatible. We are talking about an 8-9 year veteran saying this(yeah right). She was just being cheap and a *****.

Anyways, it's still cheaper to pay the higher gas prices and get the better gas mileage. I've run numbers every which way for customers, and it still comes out better for the regular gas. Even www.fueleconomy.gov has a annual fuel cost and annual cost of ownership and it's higher on the e85 fuel

Chris

BAD LS1
07-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Good reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85

It makes a good point sayin that most late model stuff is designed for 10% ethanol and got rid of the components that would be affected by it.

So i will try 5 gallons, and make a tune to run on E85. The W vin code Monte's share the same fuel system as the K code "flex fuel" 3.5 V6's.

It will run like ass if the trim go way + due to the lean condition, but if you make adjustments to the PCM's fueling providing #s closer to what it is actually seeing, it wont have to adjust as much, then your performance stays the same. Thats how the FFV gm stuff works, uses a alky sensor in the tank then runs off a diff tune.

Plus i got the bennys of the displacment on demand to help increase the mileage yet.

If it doesnt work, you just fill back up with regular gas... solved.

Slow Joe
07-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Leave it to Tom to try and beat the system :rolf

BAD LS1
07-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Leave it to Tom to try and beat the system :rolf

I get paid to be creative at work LOL So i try to extended to my hobby.

It may or may not work, u never know unless you try.

After reading this article http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/index.php?topic=47094.0 ive been wanting to try the some E85 in the camaro on the bottle.... ive gotta decent fuel system to support it now.

i love tinkering.

Baddriver01
07-06-2006, 03:46 PM
I have heard support for flex fuels both ways. Generally, it's not a good idea to run on flex fuel if your car is not made for it. On your gas cap it will say e85 or (like on most fords) it will have a symbol on the side of the car with a road and a leaf growing out of it.

You can mix e85 and e10 and regular gas without harm in a flex vehicle and probably could do it in a regular vehicle as long as you're not solely running 100% e85 all the time. If it's convenient and you need to top off I have heard of no problems using some e85 in the tank.

As far as mileage goes, generally you'll lose about 20% fuel efficiency, but if the e85 costs over 20% less, you're coming out ahead. Also remember its better for the environment and reduces dependency on foreign oil.

Corn is not a good fuel to make it but switch grass and other biomass can be used. We're working on it!!! Brazil is now 100% free of OPEC because of innovative uses of e85.

My father and mother in law both have flex vehicles but are afraid to use them. There simply needs to be more "Spin free, independent" infomation
on the subject. Big Oil has their hands on everything and often corrupts the data to their own needs...but the e85'ers aren't free from spin either.

Good luck, blend well and get that OPEC monkey off your back...everybody buy an e85 cycle???!!!!

Baddriver01
07-06-2006, 03:52 PM
I wouldn't...it's just too corrosive. They can't even ship e85 gas in traditional pipelines because of how caustic it is...

True, but some big oil companies won't ship it anyway. Many oil companies threaten to stop shipment of regular gas to stations that offer E85. I have to admire those station owners who don't fold under pressure. It's too bad there isn't more of an incentive for stations to offer e85. Of course, if they all did, the demand (and thus price of e85) would go up. Damn Catch-22's...

Rocket Power
07-06-2006, 04:00 PM
If I remember right, I heard part of the cheapness of E85 is the fact it's subsidized (SP?)
But I don't have anything that'll run on it anyway:goof , My F150 is the closest but doesn't have the FFV version of the 5.4l . And since I only get 14-17 now, I'd probably be looking at single digits for mileage:stare

88Nightmare
07-06-2006, 05:44 PM
talked to the dealership today, they said my truck is not E85. Oh well. **** e85. I don't have to worry too much about gas prices. I get gas for $2.80 a gallon where I work :)

Berettaspeed
07-06-2006, 06:15 PM
the E85 will affect your rubber rings and such in the long run. also any aluminum will be affected. you do know the 10% eth. is what makes everything clog. why would you want E85??

Slow Joe
07-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Well, I solved my daily driver dilemma... Check this thing out!!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d181/joe53051/Prizm7-6-06001.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d181/joe53051/Prizm7-6-06002.jpg

Isn't it sweet!?!?

88Nightmare
07-06-2006, 09:37 PM
GM recommends that in the case of e85 being used in non flex fuel vehicles, you replace the filter, pump, flush the tank and lines, and in some cases, the injectors as well.

Baddriver01
07-07-2006, 10:24 AM
GM recommends that in the case of e85 being used in non flex fuel vehicles, you replace the filter, pump, flush the tank and lines, and in some cases, the injectors as well.

Yeah, the NAPA reps also say the same thing, but then again we're in the business of selling parts :rolleyes:

Prince Valiant
07-07-2006, 10:45 AM
True, but some big oil companies won't ship it anyway. Many oil companies threaten to stop shipment of regular gas to stations that offer E85. I have to admire those station owners who don't fold under pressure. It's too bad there isn't more of an incentive for stations to offer e85. Of course, if they all did, the demand (and thus price of e85) would go up. Damn Catch-22's...
Let's further it...they can't ship e10 in traditional pipelines because of it's caustic properties. Ethanol has to be added at a closer point to the pump which sucks for places in the NE where there isn't alot of ethanol refining capacity, if any, and it thus has to be shipped special.

TURTLE
07-07-2006, 11:37 PM
just filled up the tank on the neon... calculations point to 33mpg... the best tank milage on 11.1 gallons with 366 miles before i filled up..

but this was babying the car on a few longer trips.. average tank for me is just over 300(320'ish)

Slow Joe
07-08-2006, 02:33 AM
Well, I just filled up the Prizm for the first time. $32 for approx 10gal. According to my uncle it should go 400 mi on that. I guess we'll see. It's been 60mi and the gauge hasn't moved yet. 1.6L of Fury!!!

Poncho
07-08-2006, 09:38 AM

you run the risk of totally ******* up your car. It's really a dumb idea to even try if you don't have a FF car. you'll ruin your entire fueling system from the gas tank all the way up, and then your motor. read up a little on it, I can't remember the details, but someone already tried it in their GTO and it went boom. Basically the FF cars have a sensor that notes when it's switching fuels and loads a completely different fuel/spark map and it then runs much different.

Lash
07-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Last night on the way home the Mobile on HWY J and I-94 was at $3.19 for reg.

:rolf :rolf :rolf :rolf

:stare

fireguyrick
07-08-2006, 10:48 AM
you run the risk of totally ******* up your car. It's really a dumb idea to even try if you don't have a FF car. you'll ruin your entire fueling system from the gas tank all the way up, and then your motor. read up a little on it, I can't remember the details, but someone already tried it in their GTO and it went boom. Basically the FF cars have a sensor that notes when it's switching fuels and loads a completely different fuel/spark map and it then runs much different.

I am going to disagree with this. Maybe the duy did not take care of his car properly. Here is a Link (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803341&highlight=E85) to a post on E85 by a very well respected Subaru owner in the nation. He has been messing with E85 for sometime (since 04) with his Subaru. The thing is that Subaru's are EXTREMELY finicky with fuel. Like I originally posted, when the STi first came out it was Detonating on 91 Octane CA gas. This guy has had really no issues with E85. It is pretty thorough documentation on his experience with it. I am not saying that it is the best idea, and you take your own risks, but it is not like you are putting Diesel in it.

Rick

Baddriver01
07-09-2006, 08:49 AM
My boss here at work has been using E85 solely in his Chevy truck for about 3 months now, it has 244,000 miles on it and runs fine. He is even getting the same mileage out of it, albeit only 12 mpg. I personally wouldn't do it but he figures he has nothing to lose and now trucks are so cheap and financing so low they're almost disposable (JK).

BTW: 2.29 and 2.39 a gallon for E85 in Hartford as of 7-8-06.

BAD LS1
07-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Started running 50/50 mix of 93 and E85 in the camaro yesterday, paid 2.25 a gal at goemans BP in hartford.

Had to fatten it up 15% to keep the L-Trims in check and 5% at WOT.

Got the timing up to 33 degrees @ WOT, and more aggressive under the curve.

Its quite a bit snottier, 0 degrees of Kr (detonation) and the coolant temps are about 10 degrees cooler.

The coolest part is the exhaust smells like paint thinner now! HA HA HA

I figure is start with this car... if it eats something up... i just repair or replace the components.

Not sure if i will go over a 50/50 mix though.

Cryptic
07-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Got the timing up to 33 degrees @ WOT

from what orginally?

BAD LS1
07-10-2006, 02:05 PM
from what orginally?

28 degrees on motor, 21 on the spray.

running 11.7 AFR now instead of 12.8

using the E85 on the spray may allow me 23-24 degrees on the jug which yields a sizable torque increase

I like this guys comment from the subaru forum

" Its octane as blended in E85 is about 100, its blending octane when added to gasoline is rated at 118, so it is a very cost effective octane booster."

So this is why you would be able to get away with a massive timing increase, especially boosted cars that only run 20* or less.

88Nightmare
07-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Well I got a little fuel efficient beast now too, 1991 Chevy S10. 203k miles. Bed fell off around a turn in my subdivision. But it runs good. She burns rubber and oil like no other. I'll get some pics tomorrow :)

pOrk
07-11-2006, 12:24 AM
I'm considering quitting my job at UPS because of the cost of GAS. Its a part time job,40% of my income from there goes to feeding the impala with gasoline to get there and back

88Nightmare
07-11-2006, 12:27 AM
UnderPaid Slaves claims another victim....