PDA

View Full Version : What is the best rear end for a Z28 camaro?

crazyz28guy
06-30-2006, 11:24 AM
What would u guys say is the best rear end to stick under a 1995 Z28 camaro? I have been thinking of eather sticking a vette rear end in it or a ford nine inch but i am up for sugestions.

juicedimpss
06-30-2006, 11:35 AM
What would u guys say is the best rear end to stick under a 1995 Z28 camaro? I have been thinking of eather sticking a vette rear end in it or a ford nine inch but i am up for sugestions.
what do ytou plan to do with the car?

Slow Joe
06-30-2006, 11:39 AM
Another one that forgot about the newbie form!!!

Hi, my name is ___Your Name___ I drive a __Make and Model of Vehicle___. I'm from ____City, State___ and I like to ____Adj.____. I did ____Things done to my automobile._______________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________ to my car. It's equipped with a _Engine displacement then # of cylinders___ ____ and a __automatic, manual or semi-automatic are the only choices___ transmission. Here are some pictures of my car.

[insert picture here]
[insert second picture here]

Then ask your question...

Welcome to BCM BTW!

And an answer...

You're going to get mixed results asking this question, some guys will say to get a beefed up 12 bolt, some a strange rear axle (dana 60 I think), some will say a ford 9"... But as the question has been asked what's your plans? Drag racing? Regular street abuse? Throwing it through the curves?

EDIT: Added newbie form...

BAD LS1
06-30-2006, 11:42 AM
Oh god... here we go. 12 bolt is my pick (from ACTUAL drag racing experience durability witha 6 speed car on slicks)

Slow Joe
06-30-2006, 11:43 AM
I was waiting for you to chime in Tom... now all we need is Dennis and it'll be a party... :rolf

USMARINE1108
06-30-2006, 11:55 AM
Oh god... here we go. 12 bolt is my pick (from ACTUAL drag racing experience durability witha 6 speed car on slicks)

Yup. A 9" is the strongest, but you will most likely never be able to tell the difference. Advantage of the 9" also is you can swap gears pretty easily, but with a 12 bolt you can keep your anti-lock brakes.

12 bolt all the way.

JohnnyT
06-30-2006, 12:13 PM
No way! 12 bolts suck! Stick with the stock 10bolt!!

Or go with the S60... :rolf

Sorry Tommy, I had to. :goof

Slow Joe
06-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Or you could swap in a 7.5" From a V6 Mustang... I know where to get one :durr Those things are STRONG!! :rolf :rolf

UnderPSI
06-30-2006, 12:33 PM
I want to see you put the vette rear in there. That sounds pretty easy. Damn I should have done that.

HAMRHEAD
06-30-2006, 12:51 PM
A 12 bolt is the normal choice for a moderately modified Z. Can handle a decent amount of power, 600 rwhp or so. Not saying it can't handle more but there a quite a few people who break them beyond that. Assuming you are launching hard on sticky's.

The 12 bolt fits better than a 9" too and the most popular choices are Moser or Strange engineering 12 bolt rearends.

A 9" is more durable and very common with extreme rwhp set ups. It is also easier to change gear ratios in a 9" by simply swapping out the center section. 9" rears can come with 33,35,and 40 spline axles too. I believe the 12 bolt goes up to 33 but I am not for sure.

Then there is the Dana S60 built by Strange engineering. This one seems to be the strongest of all but is limited more in the gear selection. It starts at 3.50 for available gears. Which if you are going to use FI it isn't geared for your set up. At least it isn't if your using a TH400 3 speed. The standard S60 will handle 1200 rwhp.

Weight: lightest 12 bolt
middle ford 9 inch
heaviest S60

You will have more parasitic loss through a heavier drivetrain.
There are options to lighten things up as well. The more popular being:

Aluminum center sections
Gundrilled axles

Common makers of Ford 9 inch rears for F-body's are:

Moser engineering
Billingsley Racing
Currie
Strange

Now you also have to decide if you want a spool, Posi, or a Locker.

Spool: strongest and will hold the most power but doesn't do well in road racing or auto cross. Also the cheapest option.

Posi: Weakest but will allow for superior handling. Posi's are known to explode at the track with sticky tires. Not saying it will but they are weaker than the spool's is all.

Locker: This is also the tru-trac. Supposedly offers the best of both worlds but doesn't always deliver. I'm sure there are people happy with theres but you always hear the bad opinions out loud. Have been known to break but will hold more power than a posi. Also have been known not to unlock when making sharp turns.

Pricing varies but the 12 bolt will come cheaper usually once it is all said and done. I am not sure about the S60 but you can retain the ABS and TCS on the 12 bolt and 9 inch if you request it. It will also cost you more too as will any upgrade.

Depending on your wheels you may want to look at getting longer wheel studs put in and to stay NHRA legal.

I know I am forgetting some stuff but I hope this gets you started and if there any other questions feel free to ask. It might be better to do it in the F body section of the forum though. Do a search as well and you might come up with some ideas and answers.

Good luck

Jason

Crawlin
06-30-2006, 01:58 PM
i have a 9" in my '99 Z28.

31 spline, spool, 3.50 gears(had 4.30's in there)

has worked fine behind 6500rpm clutch dumps on slicks, as well as nitrous shots with the TH350

they are all pretty much the same, it all depends on your liking. are you a diehard GM fan that would never put a ford product in your car? then 12 bolt. do you think you'll be swapping gears quite frequently and would make it easier if you just had an extra center section around? then 9". or do you like to be different and even though all the rear ends have proven themselves behind stout racecars, you want something else? then go with the dana.

options are a good thing, and i think both Tom and I have put our perspective choices to the test

USMARINE1108
06-30-2006, 03:39 PM
I want to see you put the vette rear in there. That sounds pretty easy. Damn I should have done that.

Are you talking about a C4 rear? Is that IRS?

UnderPSI
06-30-2006, 05:13 PM
It wasn't specified. I was just messing around.

nitrorocket
06-30-2006, 05:24 PM
I would try to find a DSM rear!

Really... Put a good posi and axles in your car and you will be happy, unless you want to brag that you have a 12 bolt!

theavenger333
06-30-2006, 07:20 PM
i would go with the 3.35 inch rear end. it owns

USMARINE1108
06-30-2006, 08:51 PM
It wasn't specified. I was just messing around.

That's what I thought, but you got me thinking since I havent been around to many C4's. :durr