PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Ed!!!

pOrk
06-28-2006, 11:00 AM
Well, since it is impossible to get a road test scheduled at ANY DMV in Wisconsin, I am forced to take a Cycle Ed class through a local tech school. I decided to take it at WCTC, cause its the cheapest and I am cheap :banana1:

I am going to take one of the day classes so I have a guarenteed in ( the day classes are WAY easier to get in ). Anyone else plan on going? If you pass the class, you get a waiver for your motorcycle lisc. that you take to the DMV, and you do not need to take the on the road test at the dmv. Its pretty sweet.

The class costs 121 bucks, here is the fall class schedule:

http://wctcinf.wctc.edu:7777/search/found.php?credit=either&item=motorcycle&by=&term=200710&delivery=any&session=any&coursenum=

and here is the form you need to mail in:

http://wctcinf.wctc.edu:7777/search/motorfall.pdf

If anyone else is interested in taking the day classes and would have interest in car pooling or riding out on the bikes together, let me know.

UnderPSI
06-28-2006, 11:16 AM
I took that class when I was 16. It is pretty good. I actually learned a lot there. It starts off slow, like when you sit on the bike for an hour slowly letting the clutch out untill you move one foot and then pulling it back in. You just have to remember that there are people there that have never rode a bike before. It is kinda funny to watch them.

From what I heard the advanced class is pretty good too. I guess it really challenges you. Bad part, you have to pay again.

Rocket Power
06-28-2006, 11:32 AM
My wife and I took it at WCTC specifically to get out of the road test. :goof It was only $56 then. We sent in our stuff before the day they began accepting and still didn't get out first choice of dates.

Countersteering was the biggest thing I got out of the class that I didn't already know.

Al
06-28-2006, 12:24 PM
I was thinking about getting a bike once my integra sells. I'd probably take the class because it makes insurance cheaper, but I have also been thinking about the DMV method and taking the test up in West Bend.

fireguyrick
06-28-2006, 12:31 PM
I took the class at MATC. It was ok, and funny at times. I should tell you some of the stories my mother has. She is a MSF instructor at LTC and a Rider's Edge instructor at House of Harley. Apparently they started a ALL WOMEN's Riders Edge class at HOH, and she feels that it was the dumbest thing possible. After the first womens only class she was asking herself why in god's name did she start doing this.

Rick

SSmike1
06-28-2006, 02:41 PM
YES
Brad,

TAKE THE ADVANCED CLASS.

you learn some stuff you can actually use in your everyday
bike riding.

the Advanced Class is AWESOME!!!!!!!

:thumbsup

I took that class when I was 16. It is pretty good. I actually learned a lot there. It starts off slow, like when you sit on the bike for an hour slowly letting the clutch out untill you move one foot and then pulling it back in. You just have to remember that there are people there that have never rode a bike before. It is kinda funny to watch them.

From what I heard the advanced class is pretty good too. I guess it really challenges you. Bad part, you have to pay again.

Silver350
06-28-2006, 02:55 PM
I took the class through matc about 3 years ago and it was $60 bucks. Another thing you can do if it is throug MATC is find out the class start date and if there is a no show then you can take their spot. I paid $60 for my class.

Also for some people that ride Taking the MSF course or any motorcycle course will not give you a discount with American Family. I know they use to but now they dont. For me having a clean driving record my insurance was 850 some bucks for the first year second year it dropped $5. This year it was down to $500, and I will be moving to oak creek and seeing I am moving the insurance will be dropping to $400 a year. It starts pretty high but drops like mad once you been riding for a while.

Rocket Power
06-28-2006, 03:08 PM
I was suprised at how much insurance difference was when we moved from Oak Creek to West Allis. At the time ours went from $50ish / month to $80/month for our cars. Between that and the property taxes I love livin here :banana1: :goof

Of course after being here a while, I noticed people coming through WA can't drive:rolf and I am sure bad driving on the hwy doesn't help the rates around here.

Al
06-28-2006, 04:02 PM
What type of bikes are your riding?

I'm trying to figure out how much it would cost to insure a standard cruiser/sport bike in the 250-500cc range.

Silver350
06-28-2006, 04:08 PM
I have a 2003 Buell Lightning XB9s (984)

pOrk
06-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Bike is insurance is dumb IMO

Health Insurance covers you when you fall, and if your bike is worth more then 10 grand its a harley and not worth riding anyways :-P

pOrk
06-28-2006, 04:17 PM
I cant find any info on motorcycle ed at MATC. Any info Scott?

fireguyrick
06-28-2006, 04:25 PM
Bike is insurance is dumb IMO

Health Insurance covers you when you fall, and if your bike is worth more then 10 grand its a harley and not worth riding anyways :-P

So what happens when your bike that is sliding across the road clips a pedestrian or car?

Rick

Slow Joe
06-28-2006, 04:30 PM
So what happens when your bike that is sliding across the road clips a pedestrian or car?

Rick

:durr Run like all hell (if you can get up)... Or hope you're dead?? :rolf

pOrk
06-28-2006, 05:43 PM

Rick

So your gonna just randomly fall off your bike and its going to slide down the road? The chances of anything happening like that, are pathetically small.

penji04
06-28-2006, 06:38 PM
Thats why insurance is there, for those "just in case" moments. Only hope you never have to use it.

Yooformula
06-28-2006, 07:30 PM
If you hit someone, then insurance will help by covering you. I would rather them sue my insrance company than me personally. Insurance is cheap piece of mind in comparison.

pOrk
06-28-2006, 10:47 PM
If you hit someone, then insurance will help by covering you. I would rather them sue my insrance company than me personally. Insurance is cheap piece of mind in comparison.

It is, but heck the bike isnt going to cause any where near the amount of damage a car will. I'd rather shell out the 2-3 grand to repair the vehicle then pay that in insurance every year ( It aint cheap for me at Am Fam )

cheap80Z28
06-28-2006, 11:59 PM
watch the paper and the news...just since sunday there has been 4 deaths involving bikes...I know of 2 wrecks from work aloneone guy was passing a parcked work van when the wind threw open the door at him, broke all 5 toes on 1 foot, his arm and over 60 stitches in his forehead, the othe was downtown in the right lane when the car in the left lane with her left signal on decided the resteraunt was on the right side instead and took him out, broke his leg in 4 places and will be out for 3 months...insurance for me for the 96 yamaha royal star tour 1300 cc is only 300 something a year...and I only got my cycle license last year.

steve

Korndogg
06-29-2006, 12:48 AM
i might take the course with you. let me know which one exactly you choose and ill see if i can get off of work for it.

pOrk
06-29-2006, 12:57 AM
watch the paper and the news...just since sunday there has been 4 deaths involving bikes...I know of 2 wrecks from work aloneone guy was passing a parcked work van when the wind threw open the door at him, broke all 5 toes on 1 foot, his arm and over 60 stitches in his forehead, the othe was downtown in the right lane when the car in the left lane with her left signal on decided the resteraunt was on the right side instead and took him out, broke his leg in 4 places and will be out for 3 months...insurance for me for the 96 yamaha royal star tour 1300 cc is only 300 something a year...and I only got my cycle license last year.

steve

Guess what!? Motorcycle insurance will do nothing for either of those riders unless they had uninsured motorist insurance. It wont pay their hosiptal bills, nor will it pay for damages to the other two vehicles since A.) It wasn't the riders fault and B.) Thats what health insurance is for :thumbsup

And thats great that your insurance is that low. I am not so lucky

Silver350
06-29-2006, 06:31 AM
here you go Eric

http://infonline.matc.edu/servlet/com.datatel.server.servlets.webadvisor.WebAdvisor? MENU=st&MNEMONIC=XIMK&APPLICATION=ST&USERID=guest&PASSWORD=*&

pOrk
06-29-2006, 09:38 AM
here you go Eric

http://infonline.matc.edu/servlet/com.datatel.server.servlets.webadvisor.WebAdvisor? MENU=st&MNEMONIC=XIMK&APPLICATION=ST&USERID=guest&PASSWORD=*&

Your the man Scott, my first class is this Saturday, July 1st! Weeeee

What do I need to take to the MATC classes, just a helmet right?

Silver350
06-29-2006, 09:51 AM
No problem

You need a helmet. Safty Glasses if you do not have a visor on your helmet. Boots that cover your ankles, pants and long sleeve shirt or jacket.

pOrk
06-29-2006, 11:39 AM
Damn, I dont think I own any boots. My bike is damn near impossible to ride with a boot that limits my ankles range of motion. If you sat on it, you would know ;-) I'll have to pick a pair up. Thanks again Scott

Silver350
06-29-2006, 11:49 AM
You can wear tennis shoes as long as they cover your ankles.

Rocket Power
06-29-2006, 12:10 PM
We had to have gloves too in my class, don't know if you still do or not

Silver350
06-29-2006, 12:31 PM
That is true I forgot that. good catch Rocket Power. You have to wear gloves but i think it is ok if you just wear winter gloves.

pOrk
06-29-2006, 01:29 PM
I have some cheapo leather gloves, do those count?

Silver350
06-29-2006, 02:26 PM
as long as they cover your hands and they dont see skin then you should be good

Rocket Power
06-30-2006, 03:28 AM
We just went down to cycle empire and got some cheapies, like $10/pair. Very thin, but they covered our hands:rolf