PDA

View Full Version : Question about digi camera

Want_Notch
06-28-2006, 06:17 AM
I can shoot pics in Raw format with my digital camera. What program/s would I use to format and edit them?

Silver350
06-28-2006, 06:38 AM
Depends on what type of camera you have. I think most SLR us Raw I dont know if it is available on the point and shoot digital cameras. You can use Adobe Photo Shop CS2 to edit Raw format. If the point and shoot uses raw then I would think that they might offer their own software that would allow you to edit your photo's

Go Speed
06-28-2006, 11:06 AM
If you don't have a source for CS2 and aren't an 'advanced' PS user... I wouldn't. It's fun to learn if you want to, but for quicker more easily obtained results, i suggest Photoshop Elements. It's $80 from newegg... some places have it even cheaper. It supports RAW and has some great easy to use tools.

SMS 1
06-28-2006, 11:37 AM
If the camera can shoot RAW it should have it's own proprietary conversion software for creating .jpg or .tiff files from the RAW files. If not you might look at Capture One RAW which is a standalone RAW converter. Otherwise Photoshop is my tool of choice and I would recommend it to anyone. The workflow can be a PIA shooting in RAW though. Especially if you are shooting alot of just "snapshots". JPEG does pretty darn good in most cases.

jbiscuit
06-28-2006, 12:06 PM
yea I would even use RAW unless you feel you REALLY need its capabilities. The camera will tAke some VERY good shots in JPG mode...I would utilize that as much as possible and take the plunge ONLY if you feel its really necessary

Cryptic
06-28-2006, 02:04 PM
what camera for starters?

Want_Notch
06-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Its a SLR D70. I have photosghop elements at home, I just have never used it.

Cryptic
06-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Camera Raw 3.4 update
for Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 and 4.0

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3364

major benefit of raw is being able to post process your white balance and I believe the driver has an anti-aliasing filter for photoshop

SMS 1
06-29-2006, 02:44 PM
Camera Raw 3.4 update
for Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 and 4.0

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3364

major benefit of raw is being able to post process your white balance and I believe the driver has an anti-aliasing filter for photoshop

You can color correct and adjust WB for jpg in post also ;):goof

Cryptic
06-29-2006, 02:45 PM
You can color correct and adjust WB for jpg in post also ;):goof

its not nearly as slick in my opinion. (at least with the Canon RAWs).

SMS 1
06-29-2006, 03:50 PM
its not nearly as slick in my opinion. (at least with the Canon RAWs).

There is more work involved true, but curves can work miracles when used correctly ;)

jbiscuit
06-29-2006, 04:02 PM
maybe so but you are shooting the wrong file format if you are doing so much tweaking to an image.

here is the guideline I use as well as the publisher I work for:

1)if you intend to finetune white balance, color saturation or generally just fiddle with the shot some, shoot RAW

2) if you intend to download the shot and drop it into a layout as is or print it as is, shoot JPG

RAW is a crutch. People snap snap snap RAW files and then tweak them in the RAW converter. Sure this works but its not very efficient. Practice makes perfect. We should all be striving to capture the shot the first time without manipulating....in theory

SMS 1
07-07-2006, 12:44 PM
RAW is a crutch. People snap snap snap RAW files and then tweak them in the RAW converter. Sure this works but its not very efficient. Practice makes perfect. We should all be striving to capture the shot the first time without manipulating....in theory

To be honest I hate nothng more than being tied to the PC dikin around with a RAW converter or the like for freakin hours (even running a batch script sucks to me) and I agree fully with your statement as it is my personal motto "get it right in the camera first" post processing is what makes too many people think they are pro grade shooters.

However that being said you can't tell me you don;t tweak sh1t in the PC J! I wouldn't buy that for a second ;) And while I do shoot RAW for all the important stuff (regardless of possible processing later on, not too mention the superior resolution) .jpeg can hold up to LOTS of post if you do it right and don't go overboard, I know you of all people here know that ;)

PS- That aint a stab, just facts, agree?

SMS 1
07-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Oh yeah I guess I should have also added that if you are going to post process .jpgs you had better damn well nail it in the camera first because the wiggle room for mistakes is still alot narrower than RAW :rolleyes: