PDA

View Full Version : Ford Mod motor question

Rocket Power
06-15-2006, 01:33 PM
My timesert kit says to make sure the valves are closed on the cylinder you're working on, and to pull off the valvecover to look at the cam and see. This is the first Ford Mod motor I've played with, so is there any tricks to take the cover off one of these, or is it just like taking off any other "normal" valve cover? Do they have a reusable gasket/seal or should I look into getting one of those too?

T-Bag
06-15-2006, 03:01 PM
My timesert kit says to make sure the valves are closed on the cylinder you're working on, and to pull off the valvecover to look at the cam and see. This is the first Ford Mod motor I've played with, so is there any tricks to take the cover off one of these, or is it just like taking off any other "normal" valve cover? Do they have a reusable gasket/seal or should I look into getting one of those too?

Personally, I would always use new gaskets. Its not like they cost all that much, and you can be assured that its not going to leak (well...unless the new gasket is faulty or you forgot to tighten down some bolts). I believe its pretty straight forward pulling the valve covers off from what I remember...

Jeff
06-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Im guessing you are talking about a newer 4.6 I have a 02 GT and I know to get the left side cover off you have to loosen the master cylinder to manouver it out but the right side is straight forward.

Rocket Power
06-15-2006, 03:12 PM
It's a 5.4 in my F-150 but I magine it's the same type of deal. It looked straight forward but I just didn't want to be coming upon something unexpected while I am taking it apart