PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Loss: How high can you hear?

Goat Roper
06-13-2006, 06:57 PM
20K-21K is the best I can hear and I am 34.

http://www.ochenk.com/entry.php?id=63

MoreTorque
06-13-2006, 07:01 PM
I wonder how much the speakers you are listening on matter... the average set of speakers cuts off around 20k

I cut off at about 18k... sounds like a CRT tube high pitched squeal.

Lash
06-13-2006, 08:22 PM
I wonder how much the speakers you are listening on matter...
It matters alot actually

carkid0101
06-13-2006, 08:45 PM
20k on my laptop and im 18

Lash
06-13-2006, 09:15 PM
I could hear 20k easily...I could get any of the higher freq. links to work.

I know I can hear higher than that....well with the set-up I have in my truck anyway ;)

27...and I bang on metal for a living :D

70challenger
06-13-2006, 09:23 PM
i could only hear up to 18 almost 19k and i'm only 20 years old

ThatWhiteCivic
06-13-2006, 10:21 PM
20k and 21 years old

Cryptic
06-13-2006, 10:46 PM
25K easily....
its actually really annoying I can hear a tv set on from across the house. Like when my son plays his playstation and turns the PSX off but not the tv... I can hear that. Drives me nuts.

I took a test once while I was in the Navy. They lock in you this steel room (like a safe) with some head phones on and you push a button when you hear a sound. My hearing is way above normal. Probably why they classified me to listen to radar signals for my job.
(CTT, Cryptologic Technician).

I tune alot of daily noise out. Alot of people think I can't hear for sh!t, my theory is, I hear so much I have difficulty sorting through all the bull sh!t. :goof

I'm 28 yrs old.

hrsp
06-13-2006, 10:48 PM
^lol

Yooformula
06-13-2006, 11:28 PM
32 yrs old and I got up to 21k nothing after that. how long were the files anyway?

Al
06-13-2006, 11:37 PM
25K easily....

I took a test once while I was in the Navy. They lock in you this steel room (like a safe) with some head phones on and you push a button when you hear a sound. My hearing is way above normal. Probably why they classified me to listen to radar signals for my job.
(CTT, Cryptologic Technician).

I remember sitting in one of those booths a few years ago. I was well above average for both range and seinsitivity then.

My speakers go into some weird harmonics above 17k, but the lower pitches scared the dog! :rolf

Anyway, I cringe at the sound of %50 of the cars out there when they brake. My family always thought I was nutz because I used to cover my ears when the car windows were open and we were stopped at an intersection since they could not hear anything.

Lately, the biggest thing I don't like on HWY100 are the brakes on cars. It seems that my dogs feel the same way about the sound because they show their distress at the same time as me.

I tune alot of daily noise out. Alot of people think I can't hear for sh!t, my theory is, I hear so much I have difficulty sorting through all the bull sh!t. :goof

The guys I work with think I have a hearing issue because I have mentioned that they make too much hissing noise when they talk and I cannot make out what they are saying. Surprizingly, they cannot hear the high pitched noises that the ice machine makes when it runs, yet I can hear it clearly.

BTW!!!
I noticed some times that babies will cry when I hear very high-pitched sounds. I'm guessing it is due to the fact that our ears are most keen when we are young. At the same time as their crying, I'm guessing that they are losing their ability to hear in that frequency range due to the sounds defening amplitude.

turboZ
06-13-2006, 11:42 PM
23k max for me, 24 and 25 nothing.

CruxGNZ
06-13-2006, 11:48 PM
25K easily....
its actually really annoying I can hear a tv set on from across the house. Like when my son plays his playstation and turns the PSX off but not the tv... I can hear that. Drives me nuts.

I'm 28 yrs old.
I bet it drives you nuts to walk into Boston Store in Brookfield Sqaure then? That high pitched noise drives me nuts!! I can't stand that place. If I get dragged in there, I quickly make an excuse to get out!

I have hearing loss in my right ear, but my hearing is pretty decent. I was tested a few times lately and it turns out I have selective hearing. I can only hear certain frequencies. If I'm in a restuarant trying to listen to a conversation, forget about it, I can't hear ****. In a club... you may as well not even talk to me, because I can't hear ya. BUT, my ears are tuned to high pitched noises. Kids screaming drives me nuts. High pressure neumatic hoses letting the pressure out kills me. Whistling bottle rockets make me want to punch the person lighting them.

wikked
06-14-2006, 06:09 AM
I can hear the 25k clear as day.

I'm 29 and have been going to concerts since I was 10, easily in the hundreds. 98% of them front row (no seats) or as close as I could get.
There goes that loud music causes hearing loss theory =P

Wish they had more to see where my cutoff is.

84hurst
06-14-2006, 11:59 AM
I must be going deaf, I'm 22 and can only hear 17K! WTF? :wow

wikked
06-14-2006, 12:11 PM
I must be going deaf, I'm 22 and can only hear 17K! WTF? :wow

v8's cause hearing loss :goof

86GUTLASS
06-14-2006, 12:14 PM
17 for me and im 25-I think its all the air tools being used at work everyday.Im allways asking people at work to repeat themselves.

PureSound15
06-14-2006, 12:50 PM
I don't understand... I can hear all of them BUT..

I have HORRID hearing. Being on tour for 2 years, playing over 200 shows (drummer) and still playing for studio tracks.

I can't hear ANYTHING in a crowded room or in the car. Oddly enough, or sometimes thankfully, the tone I can't hear is that of Kelly's voice:rolf .

Al
06-14-2006, 04:49 PM
I can hear the 25k clear as day.

I'm 29 and have been going to concerts since I was 10, easily in the hundreds. 98% of them front row (no seats) or as close as I could get.
There goes that loud music causes hearing loss theory =P

Wish they had more to see where my cutoff is.

Your range might not be affected, but your sensetivity can be.

Of my frequency range, mine is worst at the exhaust frequency which is also the male-voice octive. It is still above average, but my ears tune to the loudest frequency and I have dificulty hearing other people when they talk. I also have trouble understanding the lyrics on the radio because there is always some awful background noise that drowns out their voices. This is one of the reasons I like country music so much.

Cryptic
06-14-2006, 09:52 PM
I also have trouble understanding the lyrics on the radio because there is always some awful background noise that drowns out their voices.

Bingo! I have trouble differentiating through all the crap.

Lash
06-14-2006, 09:55 PM
Yeah...I find myself saying "what"...or "huh" to people alot lately.

Berettaspeed
06-14-2006, 10:36 PM
i stop hearing the high pitch noise around 19, but then i hear my speakers changing around 20. i don't think my speakers can hit the 20 range. it just a low buzz. and i can't hear the low at all.

Al
06-14-2006, 11:44 PM
Bingo! I have trouble differentiating through all the crap.
For me, It is usually a combination of a hissing voice and the higher-pitched drums. When it comes to hissing, Mariah Carrey is the worst!

TransAm12sec
06-14-2006, 11:54 PM
This reminds me of the ringtones that kids use in class, so they can text their friends without the teacher hearing. Fox 6 did a story on it a few days ago.

danwaite
06-15-2006, 11:40 AM
22 is the best I can hear and I'll be 20 in Sept.