PDA

View Full Version : NHRA Carquest Nationals

TransAm12sec
06-11-2006, 10:42 PM
I was there earlier today. It was a good time. Pro Stock, Funny Cars, Top Fuel, Super Stock, and Sportsman were there. It was in Joliet, IL at Route 66 Raceway. It's quite an experience to feel the stands shaking as 4 thousand horsepower screams down the track. I've never been to an event like this before. Oh, I also learned that when a Nitro motor starts up, get out of the way. I walked towards it covering my mouth and closing my eyes, and I could only stand by it for 15 seconds before it became unbearable. The pit crew has masks on, it was pretty cool.

70challenger452
06-11-2006, 10:48 PM
that was a pretty good time but I wasn't a sally, I just ran towards the nitro cars. Cleans out your nostrils real nice.

12secondGTP
06-11-2006, 11:09 PM
I was there Friday for qualifing. It was nice since the people I went with are long time friends of Don Schumacher. We went through the staging lanes and stood right under the tunnel behind the cars while they they were doing burnouts. Got covered in rubber but it was worth it:thumbsup I caught up with John Force in the staging lanes also, had my picture taken with him. super nice guy and loves to talk.

slow85vette
06-12-2006, 01:34 AM
I've been going down there for about 5 years now and its worth the drive. This was the first time that I stayed the entire weekend down there.

How deaf do you feel after going down there?

70challenger
06-12-2006, 10:13 PM
awesome race last weekend. but i think there was a little sandbagging my the force cars at the end of the day

TransAm12sec
06-13-2006, 12:13 AM
How deaf do you feel after going down there?

We bought earplugs for 2 bucks.

70challenger
06-13-2006, 06:17 PM
who needs earplugs? oh yeah im already half deaf from loud cars:chair:

turbogarrett
06-13-2006, 06:44 PM
I was down there on saturday, can't believe it took 28 years for me to attend an nhra event! The rain delays sucked, the beers were expensive , but seeing the nitro cars in person made it all worth it. My friends took me to the front of the pack in the pits while a top fuel dragster was being tuned, I must've jumped a foot into the air when he blipped the throttle:stare Definetly going to make an annual trip out of it!

whistlin six
06-13-2006, 10:10 PM
I was there all three days.

Starting next month I'll be working with the nitro funny car crew of
Bob Bode. Some weekends down at the shop and then up to Brainerd
Minnesota in August. Nice part time deal I landed, working with one of the
baddest race cars on the planet!

I have some pics I'll post later.