PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove the water pump pully.

0TransAm0
06-08-2006, 07:39 PM
anybody know how to remove a water pump pully.. or at least slide it part of the way off? i was swappen throttle body's(got a MTI) and my clutsy ass droped the bolt and it fell between the pully and the pump itself. all the way down. i can start the car and you can hear it rattling around but i dont want to drive it and have it get hung up and cause lots of damage. i tried a magnet thing but they are not magnetic and it wont even fit down the slot. any sudjestions are much appretiated thanks. Mike

Berettaspeed
06-08-2006, 07:43 PM
get a pic. so i can see.

0TransAm0
06-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Gimmi about 10 min.

BAD LS1
06-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Its gotta be pressed off. Pump will have to come out unless you can be really sneaky with a pen magnet somehow

0TransAm0
06-08-2006, 07:54 PM
the bolts are not magnetic.. so your saying im going to have to remove the whole damn water pump? how do i do that .. man this sux.

0TransAm0
06-08-2006, 08:00 PM
got a pic alltho tom knows what it looks like.

BAD LS1
06-08-2006, 08:10 PM
yup needs a big horse shoe looking plate that goes behind the pulley to keep from bending it with a gear puller then it comes off, use a 2 or 3 legged puller then it will slip off. then needs to be pressed back on.

Other wise u gotta removethe belt and **** then the lower hose where the t-stat comes in and take out the 6 long bolts, 3 each side. then it comes off, in fora big orange mess... will need about a gallon of dex cool, and you will have to bleed it after its back together, which can be done on these cars by cracking those fittings loose for the coolant cross over tube under the t-body. You will need to loosen them quite a bit, the lift up the tube off the heads, start it up, let it run till **** starts bubbling out, then once its a steady stream, you can tighten them down and top it off and test it.

0TransAm0
06-08-2006, 08:19 PM
do you think it will be possable to pry it part way off.. like just enough to get the bolt out then somehow pound it back on??

if i drive the car the way it is from my house to my parents..thats were all my tools are do you think it can and will damage anything bouncing around in thier?
this sux big time something as stupid as this is going to give me this much greef.

on another note Tom do you think it will hurt the "ballance" of the pully if i took a dremel to the bottem part and ground away about 1/8th-1/4 inch just enough to get it out. that be the easiest way for me without haveing to tear it all apart.

BAD LS1
06-08-2006, 08:25 PM
If you cant get it it out on the car, its gotta come off. the pulley just wont pry off, those things are on there like power steering pulleys.

Dont cut the pulley, might be ok to drive it, as long as it doesnt get wedged and break the pump next.

0TransAm0
06-08-2006, 08:30 PM
thats exactly what i didn't want to hear. this sux im sooooo pissed right now.

0TransAm0
06-09-2006, 06:25 AM
does the pully have to come off in order to take the water pump off? i will be able to get the bolt out ince the pump is off and the pully still on it will only fit threw the top.

BAD LS1
06-09-2006, 08:09 AM
The pulley doesnt have to be touched. Just gotta remove the pump then pick it up and shake it around till the socket falls out. It got in there, i can come back out on its own.

0TransAm0
06-09-2006, 05:06 PM
tom, can i bleed it from the TB bypass hose.. its connected to the pipe going from both heads. and when doing this do i just start it with it dissconected and let it run till it starts coming out??
thanks a million. i took the pump off and got the bolt out it wasn't too hard only took like 30 min.