PDA

View Full Version : So the LS1 must be making some steam!?!?

BAD LS1
06-06-2006, 07:50 AM
Well upon investigating why my left rear wheel wobbles so much with the slicks on, thought it was just the wheels... Pulled the wheel, threwa few nuts on to hold the rotor flat, sure enough i can watch the caliper walk in and out... the axle is bent.... hmmmm never hit anything or spun it out into a curb... so whats up?

SO i envestigate further.. pull the axle and to my surprise i find the axle twisted up like a soda can!!

Only this side... apparently it was bad heat treating or more torque is applied to this side, because the wheel rubs the lower part of the 1/4 i noticed too on this side.

You can see the size of this axle, its about 1.5" around and its 30 spline, which is rated at 6250 ft/lbs per axle according to Moser.

Time for a new axle! ive got my work cut out trying to get ready for the 16th yet!! more money to spend now:durr

BAD LS1
06-06-2006, 07:54 AM
Well upon investigating why my left rear wheel wobbles so much with the slicks on, thought it was just the wheels... Pulled the wheel, threwa few nuts on to hold the rotor flat, sure enough i can watch the caliper walk in and out... the axle is bent.... hmmmm never hit anything or spun it out into a curb... so whats up?

SO i envestigate further.. pull the axle and to my surprise i find the axle twisted up like a soda can!!

Only this side... apparently it was bad heat treating or more torque is applied to this side, because the wheel rubs the lower part of the 1/4 i noticed too on this side.

You can see the size of this axle, its about 1.5" around and its 30 spline, which is rated at 6250 ft/lbs per axle according to Moser.

Time for a new axle! ive got my work cut out trying to get ready for the 16th yet!! more money to spend now:durr

http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/9749/img02287cx.jpg

http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/620/img02298no.jpg

jbiscuit
06-06-2006, 08:02 AM
Holy cow.

WilliamZ
06-06-2006, 08:02 AM
Daaayyyyum

jbiscuit
06-06-2006, 08:03 AM
Holy cow.

GRNDNL
06-06-2006, 08:50 AM
Left side has all the torque appied to it, thats the one that always breaks......

BAD LS1
06-06-2006, 09:38 AM
double thread! damn it!!!!

See below thread for pics

t_a_crazy121
06-06-2006, 09:49 AM
thats ****** crazy

JohnnyT
06-06-2006, 09:52 AM
Were you running your dubs and spraying out of the hole again?? Ha ha ha! :rolf

Sorry, I'm sure only the old skool guys will get that one... :)

JR HAWK 9
06-06-2006, 10:12 AM
damn, Tom, you're hard on that rear end....lol

are you spraying your 300 shot yet??

Slow Joe
06-06-2006, 10:13 AM
That sucks, yet it's ****** awesome...

BAD LS1
06-06-2006, 10:41 AM
damn, Tom, you're hard on that rear end....lol

are you spraying your 300 shot yet??

Nope its seen as high as a 225 shot this year, but was never on slicks. It spins HARD in 2nd gear thru 70 mph when that would hit. Im wondering how long this thing has been like this...

Im willing to bet it happend at byron when the thing was dead hooking from 6Grand 2 years ago.

Just got my new fuel system parts, new nitrous setup will be here today.

400 shot for KOTH! BWHAAHAHAHA not sure of id have the balls for that though.

gonna call moser now now to order a new one... prob gonna be like 150$, its 250 for the set...

Crawlin
06-06-2006, 10:50 AM

Old School Guy right here!!! I did my best to hide what was left of the nitrous kit after we removed most of the stuff, haha.

Tom, that is messed up. You keeping the same spline axle, or are you stepping up? Mine are 33 if I remember right.

BAD LS1
06-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Just ordered another 30 spliner, 190 for the one axle. Id have to change everything to upgrade it.... I dont think a 33 spline will help it THAT much...

Its twists, its twists... At least its making some torque i guess

Crawlin
06-06-2006, 12:15 PM
I remember talking to Big Rick with that turbo'd almost 7 sec LT1 car, and he was still running a 31 spline in his 9", and that's well over 1000rwhp and torque

BAD LS1
06-06-2006, 12:59 PM
I remember talking to Big Rick with that turbo'd almost 7 sec LT1 car, and he was still running a 31 spline in his 9", and that's well over 1000rwhp and torque

Yeah i think this may have been a heat treating issue of sorts... just a freak thing i hope.

we will be putting it to the real test soon.

Yooformula
06-06-2006, 01:07 PM

buwahahahah! Thats ole skool alright! His was twisted and snapped into pieces.

y2kws6
06-06-2006, 06:34 PM
ya then no more good service :(~

Dan
Still has a warrenty??????

STEALTHZR2
06-06-2006, 08:17 PM
WOW that sucks!!

Poncho
06-11-2006, 10:52 PM
that is awesome.

95 TA - The Beast
06-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Hmm, Strange S60s have 35-spline axles from the get-go... But I guess that the 12-bolt is 'good enough' for ya... :rolf :goof :wooo :stare :devil

95 TA - The Beast
06-12-2006, 03:45 PM
Oh, forgot to mention, mine is nice and quiet as well... All of the group purchase guys that bought S60s at a nice discount seem to be bitching about gear whine... I paid full price for my setup... I guess this is one of those situations where 'you get what you pay for'... :)

BAD LS1
06-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Lets see if any axle survives for 3+ years with 6000 RPM clutch side steps on slicks at the track. These cars have such a wide wheel base and that gives the carrier alot of leverage on the rather long axle to twist it like a noodle. It simply twisted... didnt break or blow up.

Yeah thats funny you mention the gear whine, Kyles car is 10X worse than mine ever was with a basically flopping pinion. And his is brand new. You must have 'gotten lucky' and scored a quiet one.

Besides that, the rear ends are built on an assembly line and they simply dont have the time to **** with different pinion depth settings and shims etc. So they use the shim that gets them the closest on the majority and send it out the door. So there would be no difference between "group buy" and the "full price people" Its manufacturing... not a conspiracy.

With all the BS involved with changing placment of pinions and back lash on a Dana 60 i wont even touch it. Nor do i want to track down a case spreader or use a 8 foot bar to pry the carrier out, then have to worry about putting it back in.... NO THANKS

95 TA - The Beast
06-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Actually, Tom, if you order a S60 direct, ONE GUY does the whole buildup on a 'special order' basis... I got the guys name that did mine...

If you order via a vendor, be it a single order or a GP, THEN they are done assembly-line style... Big difference in the quality of the finished product, as far as them being 'set-up properly'... I have been down to Strange and talked to not only the sales reps but a couple of thier techs...

And, please inform yourself as to what you are talking about, as there is no such thing as a 'case-spreader' being needed for these new castings... They are a CAKEWALK to setup as you don't even need shims to set them up correctly outside of any needed for the pinion itself... Which makes these 10x easier than even a 10-bolt stocker to rebuild...

BAD LS1
06-12-2006, 04:23 PM
A quote from a online article: http://medusa.ih8mud.com/cruiser/D60HD/D60.html

"Regardless of one's experience or expertise, you simply can't change ring and pinion gears correctly without the proper tools. First and foremost is an adequate and safe press required to install and remove the bearings onto the pinion shaft and on the carrier. I use a 20 ton hydraulic press and would not like to do this job with a smaller unit. For the Dana 60 differentials I also elected to build two special service tools that could have been purchased. The first is a pinion-depth-measuring tool that consists of a dial indicator positioned to acurately measure the distance between the The second tool I made is one that spreads the axle housing and allows for the carrier and carrier bearing and preload shims to be more easily inserted and removed from the housing. The astute reader the above differential settings will note that with a Dana differential, the carrier shims are added after the carrier is already "tightly" placed in the housing. Basically, in order to remove or install a D60 carrier with the proper carrier-bearing preload into a housing, you either need a big hammer to force the carrier with shims into the housing or you need to be able to spread open the housing slightly to allow removal or insertion of the carrier and shims. This spreader is especially needed when an ARB locker is also being installed, because as described below the shims on the passenger's side of the carrier actually go between the outside of the carrier bearing ands the housing. Dana/Spicer design their axle housings to be spread apart (by a maximum of 0.120") with a mechanical spreader that attaches to the two distinctive .750" diameter holes on the sides of each Dana/Spicer axle housing.The spreader tool is simply a rectangular frame that spreads in the horizontal direction with the turning of a 1" bolt."

"On Dana axles the most difficult step is setting the proper backlash. Because the backlash is determined by shims located between the inner surface of the carrier bearings and the carrier, any change of shims from one side to the other requires that both of the carrier bearings be removed from the carrier and then pressed back on after the shim packs have been changed. Since the carrier bearings must be forced on and off with a press, and because this trial and adjust procedure may require 10 or more iterations (for a DIY person like me) before both backlash and preload are correct. this is a real chore. Not only is it time consuming, the possibility of damaging either a bearing or the carrier journal is real. A real time-saving trick is to make a set of "proxy" bearings from the old carrier by honing or milling out the i.d. a few thousands of an inch so they can be pressed onto the carrier by hand. This eliminates the need for the press during the trial and adjust portion of setting the backlash. In the end, you still have to press the new bearings on and off for a few final iterations, but use of these loose-fitting bearings gets you to that stage much faster."

95 TA - The Beast
06-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Tom, stop using references that do not apply to the product at hand...

That referes to a "DANA 60", the 'classic' casting...

I am referring to a "Strange S60", which is a 'new casting'...

Again, you are corrected...

BAD LS1
06-12-2006, 04:51 PM
Now that was a predictable responce. Thats funny how all regular ole dana 60parts "suposedly" can be used in that casting, and that only the outside of the case has been modified for diff apps.

Ill send strange an email once when i have time, and ask them. Then i will post up the Q & A regardless of the responce.