PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Ford

Rocket Power
06-01-2006, 01:19 AM
My wife was driving out 01 SuperCrew tonite she heard a lot of noise all of a sudden. So she pulls over and calls me. I get a ride out to the truck (she was on her way to pick me up) Look under the truck, hmm no hanging drive shaft . I pop the hood and have her start it. Yep it's loud all right, and what do we have here? It the coil and boot that are supposed to be on the spark plug. And there is the plug laying on the intake instead of being in the spark plug hole.:fire :fire :fire :fire

I had heard after we bought the truck that some of the 5.4's were blowing the plugs out since the 5.4's head doesn't have many sparkplug threads in it, but I figured it would happen to MY truck.:fire :fire :fire

I ended up disconnecting the coil and injector to minimize the risk of fire and limped it home.

Can't wait to see this bill. :flipoff2:
And no I didn't cause it since I have changed the plugs and for all I know they are the originals the one that blew out was a motorcraft.

Rant over till I take it in:goof

Rocket Power
06-01-2006, 01:20 AM
And boy am I going to get the crap when my work buddies find out (all chevy guys who gave me crap for buying a Ford in the first place :rolf )

TURTLE
06-01-2006, 01:25 AM
i had the center porcelein blow out of a motorcraft plug on my 91 exploder(explorer)... scared the crap of me because i was on the freeway doin about 70mph and 3k rpms...

slow85vette
06-01-2006, 05:19 AM
Damn that sucks! Sorry to hear about your bad luck!

Slow Joe
06-01-2006, 09:44 AM
How many miles on the truck?? Just curious...

animal
06-01-2006, 09:48 AM
You have no idea how often this happens on the Lightnings. Much more than the N/A motors. Anyways... easiest/cheapest thing if it's not warrantied will be to pull the head and put in a timesert. If you do pull the head, do all the spark plug holes at the same time. They addressed the problem later on in the production run. Heads cast after 12/11/02 have 8 threads instead of 4. I've seen the 2003 improved heads go for $300/pair used online as well.

It can also be further prevented by periodically checking your spark plugs for tightness, don't over tighten, but make sure they're snug in there.

Also, if you want a non dealership place that can do the work... Marv is real reasonable:
http://candmperformance.com/

GRM-REPR
06-01-2006, 10:16 AM
I worked at Ford for years as a tech and to be honest with you, I've never heard of plug's blowing out of 5.4's. The only thing they were known for was poopy heads just like the 4.6's (not like that was any better), still a good engine. You could try next time putting in Autolite plugs with the gasket in them, it's a recommendation..

Good luck and let us know what happens..:thumbsup

Rocket Power
06-01-2006, 12:55 PM
How many miles on the truck?? Just curious...
About 100K. I love the truck but it's hard to trust it now

Rocket Power
06-01-2006, 12:59 PM
I am probably going to try the timesert, because I called the dealer and to replace the head it'll be around $3300:wow
Luckily I have the GP and the Wagon for me and the wife to drive. May be time to get a new truck though after it's fixed :(

animal
06-01-2006, 01:11 PM
I am probably going to try the timesert, because I called the dealer and to replace the head it'll be around $3300:wow
Luckily I have the GP and the Wagon for me and the wife to drive. May be time to get a new truck though after it's fixed :(

Wow dude... you can get some ported heads with more threads from patriot performance for about 1300!!

animal
06-01-2006, 01:13 PM
I worked at Ford for years as a tech and to be honest with you, I've never heard of plug's blowing out of 5.4's. The only thing they were known for was poopy heads just like the 4.6's (not like that was any better), still a good engine. You could try next time putting in Autolite plugs with the gasket in them, it's a recommendation..

Good luck and let us know what happens..:thumbsup

I'm not saying it's an every day occurrance, but it does happen. From what I've read, it's always due to plugs being either overtightened or undertightened, mostly the latter, and usually when they are loose, they are that way from the factory.

Slow Joe
06-01-2006, 01:20 PM
I'd just get the updated heads... Spend the $300 for used ones, if they can be found, and be on my way... Or get a little performance... :thumbsup I don't see any reason to not trust it, but to each his own... We have a '01 here that we took in on trade with 190k on it and it's running strong...

Rocket Power
06-01-2006, 07:45 PM
I don't see any reason to not trust it, but to each his own...
Well the only reason I don't trust it is , it'll always be in the back of my head "What if another one blows out" Not what I want to be thinking when I am towing a trailer to Norwalk OH and being stuck in Chicago traffic:goof

I tried putting it back in just a little bit ago to see if there were any threads left, it barley got more than fingert tight before it started spinning. That hole is done.

As a side note a tire blew out on the GP this morning while my wife was driving to work. Something stuck in the sidewall and put a 1/2" hole in it.
Ain't that lucky :rolf

Like I said though, I love the truck. I wish I could afford a newer one, but I think an 04 and up would be out of my price range.
Guess I got some thinking to do.....

MoreTorque
06-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Can always go diesel and never worry about spark plugs again :)

Rocket Power
06-01-2006, 07:58 PM
Can always go diesel and never worry about spark plugs again :)
Believe me, that thought has been through my head ALL day.:thumbsup
Problem is budget, most of the ones I have seen in my price range were older either 6.5 TD or older body style Ford. I want to stay with a crew cab too if at all possible, I am spoiled:rolf

Rocket Power
06-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Just thinking out loud, how hard is a head swap on a Mod motor? I've never done it on a OHC motor.

Slow Joe
06-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Want a Diesel? I know where you can get a '04 Crew Cab F250 Diesel Lariat... 65k ish miles, loaded to the hills... My dad's company is selling theirs... It might be out of your price range, but who knows...

And for the head swap stuff you might wanna ask over on MMA or one of the Mustang Sites, alot of those guys know stuff about 'em... I have no idea about 'em, I'd just start tearing into it... :rolf

87SleeperGN
06-01-2006, 11:18 PM
And boy am I going to get the crap when my work buddies find out (all chevy guys who gave me crap for buying a Ford in the first place :rolf )

ya well they are right....

70challenger
06-01-2006, 11:22 PM
my buddy works at a ford dealership and said it happens all the time

BlueOvalBolt
06-02-2006, 07:00 AM
This problem has been discussed at length on F150online since 2002. Go to the Engines forum and do a search for blown plugs for more info. Here is a good thread to get started with. Hope it helps.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103042&highlight=blown+plugs

70challenger
06-03-2006, 12:20 AM
just looked through my mac tools catalog today and found a tap set specially designed for those motors. only downpart was the kit costs 399.95 :wooo

92lxcoupe
06-03-2006, 10:29 AM
just looked through my mac tools catalog today and found a tap set specially designed for those motors. only downpart was the kit costs 399.95 :wooo

Doesn't everything from MAC cost $399.95?

purpl72olds
06-03-2006, 11:40 AM
The worst part about this situation is that if you take it to the dealership they probably wont fix it, they will want to sell you a new head. I have also heard and seen this problem ( it was in a cobra though ! )

Rocket Power
06-03-2006, 11:58 AM
You're right , it's right to head replacement. No inserts.
However I am going to put in the Time-sert insert. I have been doing a lot of reading and there are a lot of people with a bunch of miles on them with no problem. We did swing past a Ford Dealer last night to look for/at used Diesels and new F-150 Screws. I would like to drive a new 5.4 now that they are up to 300hp with the 3 valve head:) vs the 260 mine has. But I am still up in the air about keeping mine or getting a different truck. I would love a new Diesel but 40K+ (since I need the crew cab and all) is a bit out of my range:rolf

Stang Tech
06-03-2006, 11:52 PM
I work for a ford dealer, most dealer will not do insert repair,i have replace a few heads that had insert done bye other shops and plug and insert both blow out.i have notice seem to happen on truck with high miles. but there our alot of these engine out 4.6 5.4 and never had a problem.

MoreTorque
06-04-2006, 12:32 AM
Look for a used 1999-2002 7.3L Powerstroke Ford. Its a better engine than the new 6.0L anyway. They will be in your price range if you are looking at new F150's.

Rocket Power
06-04-2006, 12:52 AM
Look for a used 1999-2002 7.3L Powerstroke Ford. Its a better engine than the new 6.0L anyway. They will be in your price range if you are looking at new F150's.
Well the Brand new truck is more my wife's idea:goof
I did see a 99 PS for around 16K. We'll see how it shakes out. I really do like my truck, but of course I would love a diesel. Of course all my friends are saying "Fix it, dump it and get a Chevy":rolf

Rocket Power
06-04-2006, 07:48 PM
After driving around yesterday and today I noticed there aren't a lot of used Superduty's with the PSD on the lots. Do they not sell good around here or is no one getting rid of them?

MoreTorque
06-05-2006, 05:25 PM
After driving around yesterday and today I noticed there aren't a lot of used Superduty's with the PSD on the lots. Do they not sell good around here or is no one getting rid of them?

Where did you look? The dealers in the Milwaukee area will rarely have any diesel trucks. You need to go to the dealers out in rural areas. Search autotrader.com

Rocket Power
06-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Up Hwy 100 and 27th st. Didn't stop at every one, but tried to scan the lot for SuperDutys. Still have to make up my mind whether to get one, but driving one may do that for me.:D

Ordered up the TimeSert kit for my truck. Might be here by the weekend. $350 is a little easier to swallow than $3300 and I'll have 4 inserts left (comes with 5)

http://www.timesert.com/html/triton_repair.html

From what I've read it's not to hard.

Stang Tech
06-06-2006, 12:06 PM
if you haven't replace plugs, i would do that same time you put insert in. i willing to bet you have other loose plugs. i did a lighting that plug blow #1 plug out i found that of 4 of 8 plug blow out.

Rocket Power
06-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Yeah I was planning on it, I've read it's best to stay with Motorcraft, so I'll get a set of those

animal
06-06-2006, 12:30 PM
I'd timesert all of them since you have the head off, then you still have one for the other side if needed.

purpl72olds
06-06-2006, 04:33 PM
FYI, i hear the new 5.4 is really a pig on gas mileage ( at least compared to a GM gas V8), dont flame, just my .02

purpl72olds
06-06-2006, 04:34 PM
I also have not seen many 7.3 PS for sale lately, wierd ?

Slow Joe
06-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Come on.. Like I said my dad's selling his '04 6.0L Crew Cab Lariat... :thumbsup It's a great truck... They just don't need it anymore...

Rocket Power
06-06-2006, 05:18 PM
FYI, i hear the new 5.4 is really a pig on gas mileage ( at least compared to a GM gas V8), dont flame, just my .02
At least you get 300 hp with the new ones. :thumbsup I have 260 hp and get 14 mixed and 17 straight highway:goof

But I knew I was buying a gas pig It's hard to have a fullsize crewcab 4wd truck with a gas engine and not guzzle a little gas. LOL
Luckily my wifes new job is only like 20 blocks away, so a tank of gas can last her a lonnng time, except we usually drive the truck when we go as a family anywhere. So She gets a couple to 3 weeks from a tank unlike the 3-4 days I was gettting when I was driving it to Burlington everyday.

Rocket Power
06-06-2006, 05:24 PM
I'd timesert all of them since you have the head off, then you still have one for the other side if needed.
I am trying it with the head on :wow
The makers say you can and I have read lots of success stories of people who did. Lots of grease on the tools to catch the chips and a shopvac with a hose on it to get in the cylinder is the recipe.:thumbsup
I am go to try to get a hold of a bore scope to make sure I got everything out.

I figure I'll start at the bad one and leave the set in the truck to scare them into staying in place:D

I am leaning towards keeping the truck, partly because all my ford hating friends tell me to get rid of it:rolf

Rocket Power
06-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Come on.. Like I said my dad's selling his '04 6.0L Crew Cab Lariat... :thumbsup It's a great truck... They just don't need it anymore...
I imagine an '04 would be out of my price range. We'll see if I keep it.:thumbsup

purpl72olds
06-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Well good luck with it, sounds like you have a pretty good handle on what has to happen! let us know !

animal
06-06-2006, 11:14 PM
I am leaning towards keeping the truck, partly because all my ford hating friends tell me to get rid of it:rolf
Ah yes, those kind of friends. I have them too :(

DirtyMax
06-07-2006, 08:06 AM
May be time to get a new truck though after it's fixed :(

Maybe it will start on fire in your driveway and burn to a crisp... problem solved. :devil

DirtyMax
06-07-2006, 08:08 AM
The dealers in the Milwaukee area will rarely have any diesel trucks.

Sorens in Brookfield usually has quite a few used PSD trucks if anyone's looking.

TURTLE
06-07-2006, 10:27 AM
also check out lenz truck center up in FDL.. i know it's a ways, but they usually have quite the selection of everything... gassers and d-units....

Rocket Power
06-07-2006, 12:04 PM
also check out lenz truck center up in FDL.. i know it's a ways, but they usually have quite the selection of everything... gassers and d-units....
I was on their site last night. A friend of mine bought his diesel there and is happy. I went up there about a year or two with a friend who was looking. They do have a HUGE selection

Slow Joe
06-07-2006, 01:15 PM
Yeah, Lenz specializes in used diesel trucks... And other heavy duty and weird stuff... They have an awesome selection, and stock a ton of hard to find trucks... They have the market cornered to a point on those things... I know our Lomira store has some stuff, but.... it seems that they mostly stock new trucks, and new-used (less than a year old)...

TURTLE
06-07-2006, 02:29 PM
my dad got a PSD from there... he's really happy with it and the service he gets there... heck, it towed my broke-ass **** home last winter... i'm happy with it too i guess.... lol

Rocket Power
06-13-2006, 03:24 AM
I got the Timesert kit today (well Monday) but looking at the weather forecast it may not get done for a couple days. But since I just started 2nd shift (5pm-2 am)to watch my daughter now that she out of school. I'll may wait til the weekend so I can get some sleep. :goof

Rocket Power
07-04-2006, 01:50 AM
Finally got it done. Not to bad with an air ratchet for the reamer and counter bore. Would have been better with a larger compressor, mine's a 30 gal and it was running a lot. Probably going to sell off the kit now to get some of my $$ back. since it's only missing 1 insert and a couple drops of loctite.
The biggest B**ch was getting the valve cover back on, I hope the neighbors had there kids in because I was using a bit of adult language:goof

Took it around town and everything seems fine.:banana1:

Spending $350 is way better than spending $3300:goof
I think I am going to keep it now unless it makes me mad again.