which one is better?

Junky Giorgio
05-31-2006, 05:37 PM
ohh boy.... :durr :durr :chair:

sloLs1
05-31-2006, 06:03 PM
ohh boy.... :durr :durr :chair:

agreed!!!

i am going to start this one by saying the EVO(not just because i own one!).... but both cars have a lot of potential and are a blast to drive right out of the box. I think i could go on and on about the pros and cons of the two! if you want to know specifics just ask!

ripped2keclipse
05-31-2006, 06:28 PM
there is a 10+ page discussion on chitown about the same thing form the same guy did u get enough input form all of them just checkin

fireguyrick
05-31-2006, 06:33 PM
I would take an STi for rally racing over a EVO.

For drag, I would take an EVO, mainly because the 4g63 has been around for ALONG time vs. only about 3 years for the EJ257 in the STi.

For AutoX or Road Racing, I would take an STi....MAINLY because that is what I am use to driving.

The fact is that stock for stock **MOST** driver's cannot push either car to their limits, and the difference between the two STOCK for STOCK is so minimal it could be overcome either way by a single driving error.

I love my STi, I love EVO's. Were I to do it again, I would STILL have my STi as I like it as a DD more so then an EVO. If I were to buy a track only toy, it would be the EVO over the STi (but then again, I would buy a M3 or Elise as a track only car before an EVO).

I know a fair amount about STi's and there quirks (pro's and con's). So between slols1 and myself you could get a good amount info.

Still, this does NOT strike me as one of those "I need help deciding which car is better" posts.

Rick

Oh yeah, the 06 STi apparently handles better then the Evo finally...though, again the difference is minimal.

Best thing about the STi IMHO is the Tranny. It is DAMN hard to grenade the STi 6 speed, though for drag racing it does kind of suck. To close ratio, considering 2nd gear will get you to a max of about 58mph on the stock redline.

SLONOMA
05-31-2006, 07:46 PM
I've seen too many magazine articles trying to figure out the same thing, but they change so many things between the few years that they've been making the two cars, its hard to come up with a good answer. I've always liked evo's persoanlly.

sloLs1
05-31-2006, 09:16 PM
ok... back up the train here fireguy... Evo's flat out handle better than STI's. They did a test on the '05 evo and '05 STI on this one dvd i got. EVO was on top in every section for handling!!! also evo's have way more potential when it comes to drag. the 4g63 easy out performs the EJ257. and one more thing off the top of my head... i dont know what your talking about when you say the sti trannys are strong?!?! I have heard of way too many of those blowing to pieces. I think i have heard of a couple EVO ones going. Maybe it was the drivers mabye it was the aftermarket clutch installed in it?!?!? i dont know. Either way that is kind of a weak spot for AWD cars. From the factory the EVO is faster in the quarter mile(with a pro driving). so it all kinda comes down to your preference and how well you can drive one of these works of art!

i am just throwing a little bit off the top of my head... but like stated above you can go into extreme details which are way past what the average driver would encounter! DO SOME OF YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND IF YOU CAN FIND OUT FIRST HAND!!!

LITE SPD
05-31-2006, 10:54 PM
If you are ready to buy one, I sell both. PM me if you are interested. I'll be happy to show you the differences between both.

nismodave
05-31-2006, 10:56 PM
Wow....I was wondering when the EVO vs STi debates would start on this site.

:popcorn

LITE SPD
05-31-2006, 11:16 PM
Its no big deal. Its kinda like Pepsi vs Coke, Skippy vs PeterPan, Mustang vs F-body, Friends vs Sienfeld, Miller vs Budwiezer.....

Both cars rock. Bottom line is which looks better in your driveway!

fireguyrick
05-31-2006, 11:19 PM
The latest test done on the 2006 STI have it handling BETTER then an EVO. The AWD system on the STi (all years) is BETTER then the AWD on the EVO (all USDM Years). I can provide testing info for this no problem.http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=9052&page_number=1

The WRX tranny is poor, however, the USDM STi tranny has been PROVEN to handle well over 600awhp and dozens of 9-10s passes.

Here is a Motor Trend link comparing the 06 STI to the Evo giving the STI the win. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0512_rally_cars/

I do not disagree that the Evo is a better drag car, though I do believe the STi has now won the last TWO WRX/STi vs. Evo events at Englishtown (both times by the STi from Puerto Rico).

My point that I tried to make clear is that really very very FEW drivers will be able to eek the extra one tenth or two tenths of a second out of the other car.

It really comes down to a persons driving preferences. Not going to get into an argument about this anymore, it is beaten to death on EVERY subaru or mitsu forum, why bring it here.

Rick

oh yeah, what is the fastest recorded 1/4 mile time for a STOCK EVO VIII (not getting into the EVO IX as they are different beasts, and I will wait to see what subaru has in response to it).

The fastest record STOCK (bone stock straight from the dealership) time for an STi was 12.9

RedGSX
05-31-2006, 11:40 PM
For me it's the STi. Mostly because of looks and how it feels stock. When I shut the door on the STi it sounds solid, on the evo, it sounded hollow. But there are so many mods for the Evo it nuts! And now with the Evo IX, the gains are even more, from the forums I have read. The best advice I could give is DRIVE BOTH and read the forums for both cars. It's discusting on how many times this topic has been discussed. They are both quick cars and are a blast to drive. I was in the same debate, I chose STi because I got sick of the DSM reliability. ;), and wanted something different. I had a 99 gsx and have worked on plenty of them to know too. Although in defense if you push any motor beyond what it was originally designed for ANY car will have its problems.

plus I wanted "Cruise Control" hehe

tommyt5078
06-01-2006, 08:17 AM
I had to decide between the two and I went with the STi.

One big thing for me was the price, I couldn't find someone to go lower on the MSRP for the EVO. When I was able to find a dealer in Illinois that sold me a 05' STi for 28,995 with a MSRP of over 33+. I was able to save over 4,000 dollars but getting the STi which was my choice all along, and then the price made it a know brainer!

nismodave
06-01-2006, 08:26 AM
Neither.........:thumbsup I love this.....But I wish Nissan/Infiniti made a sportier AWD car.

http://www.modernracer.com/images/mazdaspeed6front2.jpg

jbiscuit
06-01-2006, 08:47 AM
they both suck. Buy a Kia.

petej
06-01-2006, 09:09 AM
+1 on the kia, they rocket out of the hole, and are the best for handling out there, i think i read that somewhere on the internet, im pretty sure it was a credible site

nismodave
06-01-2006, 09:10 AM
they both suck. Buy a Kia.

You trading in the Wagon?? :stare

JohnnyT
06-01-2006, 09:22 AM
You trading in the Wagon?? :stare

After getting beat by that T-bird the other day, J went straight to the Kia dealer. The wagon is history.

jbiscuit
06-01-2006, 09:46 AM
John lies. I traded the wagon in on a 2006 Honda Fit

http://www.treehugger.com/files/japan-car-honda-fit-jazz.jpg

nismodave
06-01-2006, 09:47 AM
John lies. I traded the wagon in on a 2006 Honda Fit

http://www.treehugger.com/files/japan-car-honda-fit-jazz.jpg

Finnally...A car that you can handle. :rolf

jbiscuit
06-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Oh I could handle the wagon just fine. I almost had the fastest grocery wagon the other day but an old man in a Jetta wagon cut me off and beat me to a spot at Pick N Save. Thats when I decided it was time to move on

sloLs1
06-01-2006, 01:18 PM
oh yeah, what is the fastest recorded 1/4 mile time for a STOCK EVO VIII (not getting into the EVO IX as they are different beasts, and I will wait to see what subaru has in response to it).

The fastest record STOCK (bone stock straight from the dealership) time for an STi was 12.9

why dont you want to include the EVO ix??? Its an '06 and subie has their '06!?!? i have seen bone stock ones go 12.9 but that wasnt a professional driver so i am not quite sure. also it really really depends on the driver and a lot of other aspects....

In my opinon i like my EVO because i am at full spool (21psi) at 3000rpms. This is what usually gives me the jump on all other cars when it comes to a drop race. Also when i am running it around in some turns it nice to have the turbo "always on" it almost seems as if there is no lag:goof i also like the aftermarket a lot more than the STi's. Many more parts readly availabe. But i do see what your are saying... i dont want to get into a big aruguement about it!!!

2SLOW
06-01-2006, 06:23 PM
wow lots of input i guess evos are awsome cars.

fireguyrick
06-01-2006, 06:51 PM
slols1, you are right about having more parts readily available for the Evo. Again, has alot to do with the length of time that each engine has been available in the US and/or world.

I TOTALLY agree with you that alot depends on the driver of each car, even with 1/4 mile times. I have seen STi's stock run as fast as 13.0 and as slow as 15.7 (in person). Though, I see more Evo's at the drag strip then I do at AutoX's.

My reasoning for not considering the IX in this comparo is because the IX is almost like a new vehicle. I would not compare a rival for the 02-05 WRX with that of the new 06 WRX due to all the changes.

That being said, they are still very close vehicles, and when something flat out owning another is in tenths of seconds from a proffesional driver, it says alot about how close the cars really are.

Rick

21psi by 3000rpm? I wish I had that response on my STi. I get 22-23 psi by 4000-4500rpm depending on which gear I am in. I should let you beat on my STi sometime, maybe you can brake my tranny so I can get that dogbox setup I really want, but have no reason for.....yet.

sloLs1
06-01-2006, 08:37 PM
slols1, you are right about having more parts readily available for the Evo. Again, has alot to do with the length of time that each engine has been available in the US and/or world.

I TOTALLY agree with you that alot depends on the driver of each car, even with 1/4 mile times. I have seen STi's stock run as fast as 13.0 and as slow as 15.7 (in person). Though, I see more Evo's at the drag strip then I do at AutoX's.

My reasoning for not considering the IX in this comparo is because the IX is almost like a new vehicle. I would not compare a rival for the 02-05 WRX with that of the new 06 WRX due to all the changes.

That being said, they are still very close vehicles, and when something flat out owning another is in tenths of seconds from a proffesional driver, it says alot about how close the cars really are.

Rick

21psi by 3000rpm? I wish I had that response on my STi. I get 22-23 psi by 4000-4500rpm depending on which gear I am in. I should let you beat on my STi sometime, maybe you can brake my tranny so I can get that dogbox setup I really want, but have no reason for.....yet.

ahhaaha the last thing you wrote is funny as hell:rolf :rolf :rolf !!!! but i definatly agree with you... will you be making any appearances at the BCM cruises?!?! at oscar's?? i would definatly like to check your car out... seems like you have a decent amount of work done to it:headbang ! I personally havent seen 1 decently modded STI... normally i just see them with a intake and catback exhaust:durr ... oh well

fireguyrick
06-01-2006, 09:19 PM
will you be making any appearances at the BCM cruises?!?! at oscar's?? i would definatly like to check your car out

I tend to make appearences every now and then at the Waukesha meets, I try hard to stay off of HWY with it (actually with any of our cars), just don't need the stress. Though, there can ALWAYS be exceptions to the rules.

Rick

sloLs1
06-01-2006, 09:28 PM
I tend to make appearences every now and then at the Waukesha meets, I try hard to stay off of HWY with it (actually with any of our cars), just don't need the stress. Though, there can ALWAYS be exceptions to the rules.

Rick

awesome well when i get home in only 21 days... we'll have to meet up!!!

1quickgtp
06-01-2006, 09:46 PM
id pick the evo, AMS is close ;)

deciuss
06-01-2006, 09:58 PM
i second the notion for a more sporty awd car from N/I

TURTLE
06-01-2006, 11:06 PM
i've always been a big fan of the daewoos... they really fly nomatter what you're doing with 'em...

evo/sti... i'm torn.. although for a DD, it's the evo... but i like the top gear reasoning behind my choice... no apparent reason... lol

nismodave
06-02-2006, 09:01 AM
In all seriousness......Id go with the Sti all day.

1-Less Common (Around here at least)

2-Better Built IMO

I have a freind in Chicago, on his 4th transmission, in his EVO.

Both are great cars though.

jbiscuit
06-02-2006, 09:17 AM
both are GREAT cars honestly. I love both of them. You will have more potential for HP with the EVO though....if thats the route you want to go. Similar set-ups and you will see more output from the Evo. Its an efficient motor and makes a lot of useable power....the 4G63 is a potent animal. The STi is a very refined, comfortable car to drive daily. The suspension is top notch. Very capable still if you want to autoX it but smooth enough for the street on your daily commute. The EVOs are a tad choppy in their ride quality. The STi has a GREAT trans, though it doesn't lend itself all to well for drag racing. First gear is USELESS as the gearing is so short. Either way you can't go wrong. Both cars respond well to mods. AMS is in our backyard if you want to go EVO. With the STi you have 2 AWESOME tuning softwares available with the Cobb Accessport (with the ability to have it Protuned) and the Element Hydra. Good luck in your quest. You seriously can't go wrong with either car

sloLs1
06-02-2006, 01:12 PM
..... You seriously can't go wrong with either car

I couldn't have said it better!!!

Flicktitty
06-02-2006, 08:58 PM
there is a 10+ page discussion on chitown about the same thing form the same guy did u get enough input form all of them just checkin
yeah, no sh!T.......leave it be! or search the internet for a magizine article on the 2! dammit...:chair:

myturbo300zx
06-03-2006, 08:23 AM
ya i think a 300zx is better then and sti or an evo lol. j/k guys

fastsihb
06-03-2006, 12:59 PM
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j294/fastsihb/dcac4027.jpg

Junky Giorgio
06-03-2006, 04:59 PM
:rolf :rolf :rolf thats awesome!

Lash
06-03-2006, 05:24 PM
So...whats better..

LS1 or LT1?

muahahahahaha!!!!!!!:devil

:goof

RedGSX
06-03-2006, 11:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wii9HQZHPho&search=top%20gear%20dodge%20viper

Here you go, a little entertainment while you decide.

btw I LOVE my STi! I don't regret any decision at ALL!!

sloLs1
06-04-2006, 01:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wii9HQZHPho&search=top%20gear%20dodge%20viper

Here you go, a little entertainment while you decide.

btw I LOVE my STi! I don't regret any decision at ALL!!

Now i am not saying i told you so... but i already have seen this video and others putting the EVO ahead in the handling section. But i do realize that that was the FQ version EVO and also a different version STI. but as you can see it really is hard to make a decision between the too!!!

i think the reason why he said they choose the subie over the mitsu is because of the normal everyday driving. I do notice that my EVO is a little harsher of a ride.... but i like that. it lets me "feel" the road better?!?! oh well... enough said on this topic!!!

EvolvedRegal
06-05-2006, 07:34 PM
I guess I can jump in here as an Evo owner. I was seriously thinking of the Sti before the Evo. Why did I cosse the way I did? Simple, I knew the car wasn't remaining stock. I have so many damn parts laying around waiting to get installed its nuts.

The worst part of the Evo is the tranny. I blew mine on the drag srtip and well since everything is out of the car already I have a fully built drivetrain going in. Shep tranny, shep t-case, and a tilton clutch. Hopefully by the end of this week.

Then after all of that I have a FP3065 turbo kit waiting to go on.

Then after that is broken in I have a 2.1 going in with a re-worked head. Can you say 11k redline?

But back on topic you really cant lose choosing either car, I like them both.

nismodave
06-05-2006, 08:55 PM
I enjoy spanking both.:banana1:

sloLs1
06-05-2006, 10:06 PM
I enjoy spanking both.:banana1:

ahaahaa... someones a little cocky:goof

2SLOW
06-09-2006, 09:55 PM
evos are the best!!!!

micro_machine
06-11-2006, 08:28 PM
which one is better?

Go get 2001 audi S4 with a race chip then you have a real nice awd sedan luxury car. wich can race a stock sti or evo.:thumbsup

sloLs1
06-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Go get 2001 audi S4 with a race chip....... wich can race a stock sti or evo.:thumbsup

:rolf :rolf :rolf

SlowAccord
06-13-2006, 01:54 PM
Its no big deal. Its kinda like Pepsi vs Coke, Skippy vs PeterPan, Mustang vs F-body, Friends vs Sienfeld, Miller vs Budwiezer.....

Both cars rock. Bottom line is which looks better in your driveway!

Exactly!

2SLOW
06-18-2006, 06:59 PM
well not so, which one in your driveway is the fastest!

rx-8t
06-19-2006, 02:16 AM
sorry guys, i have to go against the norm, ive ridden in both, and i like the STi more.

TurboAWD2.0
06-20-2006, 03:40 AM
evos are the best!!!!

:confused Troll much?

1loudrex
06-27-2006, 10:15 AM
I would have to say the STI and not because I own a subaru. I drove a evo and a sti, and honestly its not what performs better it is how the driver feels inside the drivers seat. Every car is different to every person. Me personally I hated the evo and I loved the sti. The next person may say they hated the sti and loved the evo. Like said above, this is a no win argument.

87SleeperGN
07-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Neither.........:thumbsup I love this.....But I wish Nissan/Infiniti made a sportier AWD car.

http://www.modernracer.com/images/mazdaspeed6front2.jpg

what about the new Skyline comming to the US market??

fireguyrick
07-01-2006, 02:02 PM
what about the new Skyline comming to the US market??

The new GT-R (Skyline and GT-R have been seperated for sometime. Skyline is reserved for more luxuryish cars, and GT-R for the sports car) is going to be overpriced, and I honestly believe it will live a shorten version of the MkIV Supra life. Now, if they deal with it, and release it as an Infiniti it might survive. That being said, the US version of the Skyline has been here since 2003, the current Skyline is the same as the G35.

Not to mention that apparently there is a 50/50 chance the new GT-R is going to be RWD and NOT the Atessa-ETS AWD setup. Apparently it is also not 100% for certain what engine will go in, TT 6cyl or big V8.

Rick