PDA

View Full Version : Attention all Thirdgen owners!

formul8
05-31-2006, 11:23 AM
DCDz28 and I started a new thirdgen focused board as an alternative to the "other" major thirdgen orginization website.

Check out: www.thirdgentech.com

We just opened it up earlier this month and any help, contributions, ideas, etc are greatly appreciated! This is going to be a community and member focused site.

Thanks,
Dylan/formul8
:thumbsup

PonyKiller87
05-31-2006, 12:06 PM
Just curious but is because of the recent buyout / privatization of thirgen.org ?

While I think it will be nice to have a more local board I think it will be impossible to rival the knowlege / past posts of TGO

formul8
05-31-2006, 12:53 PM
That would be part of the reason and also because TGO has no direct competitor. They run the board very iron fisted as far as "Tech only". Looking at TGO's past is great, but the future is why I started a new board. The internet is still an infant.

There is not much of a community feel as it is almost pure tech info. Great if you wanna know what RPO Code G92 means, but if you want to talk about anythng, the mods seem to shut down quite a bit. Plus, they do not have a off topic board that allows people who do not own thirdgens anymore but still want to come by a place to go.

TGO has been around for awhile and has a mountain of info. Don't forget, the internet is still young and even giants fall sometimes. The new owners of TGO has made it clear they own the site for profit only and are NOT car guys. They can do whatever they feel at this point. I even tried to buy the site from them, but they do not seem interested. I am a thirdgen guy and know these cars very well and have a passion for them.

This is time to start a more relaxed and community focused discussion board as an alternative to TGO.

Come on by and check it out. It is still new and has a long way to go. Only way to make it great is for people to contribute and enjoy it.

Knyghtmare
05-31-2006, 01:24 PM
The following errors occurred during your registration:

The administrator has banned your email address. To contact the administrator click here

This is what I get when I try to register. Im not feeling the love here.

Karps TA
05-31-2006, 01:43 PM
I've been going to TGO since it was run by a guy named Jeff on the missouri.edu server. lol

The people owning the site are not what has really hurt the site, but more the people that post there. Theres too many posts by people who want nothing but a cyber handjob and want everyone to spankoff on their cars, or just want people to tell them how great they are for doing something wrong.

The thirdgen community was pretty great for awhile, but I think it got too big and lost it's identity. Not too mention you can only answer so many "do 4th gen seats fit in a 3rd gen" questions before wanting to throw a brick thru the computer.

When Dirk turned the site tech only several years ago he asked me to help mod some of the boards. It was fun for a while, but it got old protecting the morons. When someone wants to put a Pro-stock scoop on their 140 hp v6 Camaro, I don't want to just see people tell him how cool it would be and edit the people telling the truth that it looks ridiculous.

Anyways off the soapbox. I'll check out the new site.

formul8
05-31-2006, 02:23 PM
This is what I get when I try to register. Im not feeling the love here.

Are you using a Hotmail account?

formul8
05-31-2006, 02:29 PM
I've been going to TGO since it was run by a guy named Jeff on the missouri.edu server. lol

The people owning the site are not what has really hurt the site, but more the people that post there. Theres too many posts by people who want nothing but a cyber handjob and want everyone to spankoff on their cars, or just want people to tell them how great they are for doing something wrong.

The thirdgen community was pretty great for awhile, but I think it got too big and lost it's identity. Not too mention you can only answer so many "do 4th gen seats fit in a 3rd gen" questions before wanting to throw a brick thru the computer.

When Dirk turned the site tech only several years ago he asked me to help mod some of the boards. It was fun for a while, but it got old protecting the morons. When someone wants to put a Pro-stock scoop on their 140 hp v6 Camaro, I don't want to just see people tell him how cool it would be and edit the people telling the truth that it looks ridiculous.

Anyways off the soapbox. I'll check out the new site.

You will get jerks, trolls and goofballs with every type of site. It's 10X's worse on corvetteforums.com. Sometimes they keep things interesting, most of the time they drive everyone nuts. I want to keep the board honest and since TGO has had its growing pains by being one of the firsts when the internet was brand new, this is just an evolution.

I am hoping to attract a different type of thirdgen crowd. These cars are new & plentiful enough to have a big following but now old enough were people are starting to seriously mod them with LS1 swaps and even restore them.

We'll see what happens. This is just a start and thanks for checking it out!

PonyKiller87
05-31-2006, 02:35 PM
I registered to the new site and I will check in now and again but to tell you the truth, I still like the Tech only aspect of TGO. Thats usualy what I go there for, I have a question thats very specific to thirdgens and I know somebody there will be able to answer it.

I do agree though that the protection of the morons has gotten out of hand on TGO. There are some cars on there that are completely rediculus yet they still have plenty of nut swingers telling them how great they are. As far as the repetition of the same questions over and over, thats just lazy people that either dont try to do a search or dont want to read through a couple of posts, they just want someone to give them the answer. I've spent countless hours pouring over search results and found almost everything I ever needed, just takes time.

I guess all I can say is good luck with the site, I think it will be pretty tough to really get it going.

formul8
05-31-2006, 03:03 PM
I guess all I can say is good luck with the site, I think it will be pretty tough to really get it going.

Thanks! It is tough and that is what keeps most people from starting a competing site.

That is why I have an area on the site for B.S'ing. The rest will be focused on tech info. The off topic/social area is really the are that TGO lacks. I would still invite you over for the tech because any info is greatly appreciated.

Think of this site as "TGO with a clean slate". What I would have done I if I started the site over. I have been at TGO sonce 1998 and saw it change quite a bit.

Any help or ideas or anything will help. This is going to be a leaner and meaner site for thirdgenners. I would still direct people back there for some info because it will be a while before we can have everything. I am not looking to replace TGO, but to have a nice alternative.

Dylan

Karps TA
05-31-2006, 03:15 PM
I will say if the new owners thought TGO was a money maker, they are going to be sadly mistaken. They already basically have all the vendors who support 3rdgens. And since 3rdgenners appear to mostly be "first car" types they don't spend alot of money. Almost anytime a vendor comes out with a product for thridgenners, 90% of the response is "that's a ripoff".

To run a good thirdgen site you've got to love the cars, and not expect alot.

Looks like a good start to me.

formul8
05-31-2006, 03:35 PM
I will say if the new owners thought TGO was a money maker, they are going to be sadly mistaken. They already basically have all the vendors who support 3rdgens. And since 3rdgenners appear to mostly be "first car" types they don't spend alot of money. Almost anytime a vendor comes out with a product for thridgenners, 90% of the response is "that's a ripoff".

To run a good thirdgen site you've got to love the cars, and not expect alot.

Looks like a good start to me.

It appears that TGO has lost most of its vendors. I'll bet they bought the site, hiked the rates and they left. There are a few thirdgenners with some NICE rides that are worth spending on. There are sadly, too many that are total rat boxes and filling the gas tank doubles the value of the car. Mustangs are just as bad, but they seem to have a MUCH different crowd.

It is funny that you mention the "rip-off" thing. This is one reason why there is so little aftermarket versus the fox bodied Mustang. No one wants to develop parts for these things because the owners are too cheap to buy them. A solid thirdgen makes a great base for a killer street/strip/autoX car with the right parts. There are many out there that do this, but they avoid TGO like the plague due to the morons.

A money maker? I agree, they bought a hard sell for advertising. As long as it thirdgentech makes enough to grow the site and leaves a little left over for my troubles, that is fine with me. I am certainly NOT looking to get rich from this. I just love thirdgens (even though I currently do not own one, but a TTA or Firehawk is in my future).

ffvetteman
05-31-2006, 05:21 PM
OK, I'll go check it out.

subliminal1284
05-31-2006, 05:37 PM
I will be joining, I also hate the way TGO has become and the way they protect all the members with riced out cars.

TransAm12sec
05-31-2006, 11:17 PM
Well, if they say they bought the site for a profit, then I assume they would sell it for a profit.

One thought that comes to mind is to maximize profit, the sponsors need to keep coming. I assume how many hits a day would help that. Wouldn't an off topic section increase that?

Knyghtmare
05-31-2006, 11:56 PM
Are you using a Hotmail account?

Yes I am. I dont have anything else.... so why not sneak me in the back door? :goof

TransAm12sec
06-01-2006, 12:10 AM
I also use a hotmail account for message boards. I don't want my school account to be flooded with forum e-mails.

formul8
06-01-2006, 07:59 AM
I also use a hotmail account for message boards. I don't want my school account to be flooded with forum e-mails.

You can turn off the feature that subscribes you to threads. I was going to keep hotmail accounts blocked, but seems like alot of people are trying to sign up with them. Hotmail accounts can be a source for trouble, but I will see how they go.

Glad to seel all you come over! :thumbsup

formul8
06-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Hotmail accounts are now enabled! :thumbsup

Knyghtmare
06-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Hotmail accounts are now enabled! :thumbsup

Not for me apparently... :puppyeyes :(

formul8
06-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Not for me apparently... :puppyeyes :(

I forgot to "save" the change, so it never took the hotmail out of the forbidden address field.

I just did it and you will be able to register now.

Knyghtmare
06-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Registered. Thanks.

formul8
06-12-2006, 02:31 PM
I see a few more thirdgenners here that have not signed up... :loser

loudrsls1
06-13-2006, 01:39 AM
just redgestered my self. ill have to check in to it more tomoro

formul8
06-13-2006, 05:01 PM