PDA

View Full Version : a/f guage questions

rally_scort
05-28-2006, 11:35 AM
ive got a 2.0L probe with a 4 wire o2 and id like to get my a/f guage working...i cant seem to find which wire to splice into..theres two whites,one black,and one grey....i tried to splice into each one but the only feedback i got is one white wire will make the gauge read full lean and wont move and the grey wire will read full rich and not move....i know my car is runnin on the rich side so im not sure what to do...i was told to let the o2 heat up before it will read correctly but still nothing...anybody know what wire to splice into?

EvolvedRegal
05-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Just get a real wideband sensor and be done with it. Why waste the money on something that barely works???

rally_scort
05-28-2006, 05:40 PM
well i cant afford it right now and i had the guage from a prior car so it would make sense to run something rather than nothing right...i wasnt asking what would be the best to run on my car but just how to hook it up on a 4 wire o2...the last car had one black wire so it was common sense...thanks for the help anyways

TURTLE
05-28-2006, 06:42 PM
one wire, when it's warmed up, should have moving voltage at idle...

i believe the white wire is the positive... and the black is the ground for the heater, and the grey and the other one are the ones you need to check when it's warm... but that's on mopar... so i don't know if that works for fords also... but it's worth a shot...

for referance, toss a voltmeter on the wire before you toss the gauge on the wire... you may run too much voltage to the gauge and render it useless...

rally_scort
05-28-2006, 07:23 PM
alright...thanks for the help..ill check it out...so your saying only one wire should have voltage when its warm?...and im assuming thats the signal wire?....thanks again

TURTLE
05-29-2006, 08:54 PM
they'll all have voltage, but one wire's voltage(when the sensor is warm) will move up and down(mostly between 0-1Volt)

hope that helps

wikked
05-29-2006, 09:19 PM
black is signal.....grey is ground..... and the two whites are heater wires.

Is it a Bosch or OEM? I used a Bosch once... once. (junk)

Didn't read worth a damn on my digital A/F, wouldn't peg at WOT, etc.

rally_scort
05-30-2006, 01:31 AM
yeah i figured it out...black wire but i didnt let it heat up enough before...takes about 5ish minutes...thanks for the help guys.:thumbsup

Berettaspeed
05-30-2006, 03:46 PM
do you have tunning software?? or anything done to the car?

rally_scort
05-30-2006, 09:45 PM
yeah the car has some mods...needs some more fuel mods though...runs rich at idle...2.0L dohc,t25 turbo,3 inch turbo back,12:1 fmu,turbo xs manual controller,stock pump and injectors,saab fmic,runnin 1psi of boost due to blown turbo seals,leaking fmic,and shitty i/c pipin from previous owner...im plannin on runnin megasquirt and upgrading to a t3 flanged turbo but cant seem to find one..

Berettaspeed
05-30-2006, 11:32 PM
oooooooooooooo :stare then i would wait and invest in a wideband. anything under 14.1 A/F your gauge will read rich and you won't know anytihng else. the range on a narrow band is, IIRC 14.1-14.9? thats it. at 13:1 you can blow your engine. so far i lucked out and have not blown mine due to not knowing my A/F ratio. so just get 400 bucks and get a nice wideband. its a one time buy and its well worth every penny. you don't want to guess when it comes to tunning. if your going to guess just get it so rich to where your eyes burn from the exhaust within 5 seconds or less...:)

otherwise got any pics???

rally_scort
05-31-2006, 12:05 PM
only pic is in my sig...ill have to get more since a few people want to see it...

Berettaspeed
06-01-2006, 06:46 PM
im sure alot of people would like to see some engine bay pics?? there is another probe on here thats boosted...

rally_scort
06-04-2006, 09:36 AM
yeah nick(colony kid)...mines not near as quick as his but its different..ill get some engine bay pics when i get the new stuff on it...

myturbo300zx
06-04-2006, 11:09 PM
ya get some pics and if u ever need help with n/e thing i would be more then happy to help.

SlowAccord
06-13-2006, 02:27 PM
oooooooooooooo :stare then i would wait and invest in a wideband. anything under 14.1 A/F your gauge will read rich and you won't know anytihng else. the range on a narrow band is, IIRC 14.1-14.9? thats it. at 13:1 you can blow your engine. so far i lucked out and have not blown mine due to not knowing my A/F ratio. so just get 400 bucks and get a nice wideband. its a one time buy and its well worth every penny. you don't want to guess when it comes to tunning. if your going to guess just get it so rich to where your eyes burn from the exhaust within 5 seconds or less...:)

otherwise got any pics???

Judging by how many times I have blown up my setup, get the wideband. Don't even bother with the a/f gauge......they are useless in a turbo car.