PDA

View Full Version : Would this make gas prices come down?

BLUTO
05-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Price of Eggs

A man eats two eggs each morning for breakfast. When he goes to the grocery store he pays .60 cents a dozen. Since a dozen eggs won't last a week he normally buys two dozens at a time.

One day while buying eggs he notices that the price has risen to 72 cents.The next time he buys groceries, eggs are .76 cents a dozen. When asked to explain the price of eggs the store owner says, "the price has gone up and I have to raise my price accordingly".

This store buys 100 dozen eggs a day. I checked around for a better priceand all the distributors have raised their prices. The distributors have begun to buy from the huge egg farms. The small egg farms have been driven out of business.

The huge egg farms sells 100,000 dozen eggs a day to distributors. With no competition, they can set the price as they see fit. The distributors then have to raise their prices to the gr ocery stores. And on and on and on. As the man kept buying eggs the price kept going up. He saw the big egg trucks delivering 100 dozen eggs each day. Nothing changed there.

He checked out the huge egg farms and found they were selling 100,000 dozen eggs to the distributors daily. Nothing had changed but the price of eggs.

Then week before Thanksgiving the price of eggs shot up to $1.00 a dozen. Again he asked the grocery owner why and was told, "cakes and baking for the holiday". The huge egg farmers know there will be a lot of baking going on and more eggs will be used. Hence, the price of eggs goes up. Expect the same thing at Christmas and other times when family cooking, baking, etc.happen.

This pattern continues until the price of eggs is 2.00 a dozen. The man says,"there must be something we can do about the price of eggs".

He starts talking to all the people in his town and they decide to stop buying eggs. This didn't work because everyone neede d eggs. Finally, the man suggested only buying what you need.

He ate 2 eggs a day. On the way home from work he would stop at the grocery and buy two eggs. Everyone in town started buying 2 or 3 eggs a day.

The grocery store owner began complaining that he had too many eggs in his cooler. He told the distributor that he didn't need any eggs. Maybe wouldn't need any all week.

The distributor had eggs piling up at his warehouse. He told the huge egg farms that he didn't have any room for eggs would not need any for at least two weeks.

At the egg farm, the chickens just kept on laying eggs.

To relieve the pressure, the huge egg farm told the distributor that they could buy the eggs at a lower price. The distributor said, " I don't have the room for the eggs even if they were free".

The distributor told the grocery store owner that he would lower the price of the eggs if the store would start buying again. The grocery store owner s aid, " I don't have room for more eggs. The customers are only buy 2 or 3 eggs at a time. Now if you were to drop the price of eggs back down to the original price, the customers would start buying by the dozen again".

The distributors sent that proposal to the huge egg farmers. They liked the price they were getting for their eggs but, them chickens just kept on laying.

Finally, the egg farmers lowered the price of their eggs. But only a few cents.The customers still bought 2 or 3 eggs at a time. They said, "when the price of eggs gets down to where it was before, we will start buying by the dozen."

Slowly the price of eggs started dropping. The distributors had to slash their prices to make room for the eggs coming from the egg farmers. The egg farmers cut their prices because the distributors wouldn't buy at a higher price than they were selling eggs for.

Anyway, they had full warehouses and wouldn't need eggs for quite a while.

And them chicken s kept on laying.

Eventually, the egg farmers cut their prices because they were throwing away eggs they couldn't sell. The distributors started buying again because the eggs were priced to where the stores could afford to sell them at the lower price.

And the customers starting buying by the dozen again.

Now, transpose this analogy to the gasoline industry.

What if everyone only bought $10.00 worth of gas each time they pulled to the pump? The dealers tanks would stay semi full all the time. The dealers
wouldn't have room for the gas coming from the huge tank farms. The tank farms wouldn't have room for the gas coming from the refining plants. And the refining plants wouldn't have room for the oil being off loaded from the huge tankers coming from the Middle East.

Just $10.00 each time you buy gas. Don't fill it up. You may have to stop for gas twice a week but, the price should come down.

Think about it.

As an added note...When I buy $10.00 worth of gas,that leaves my tank a little under half full. The way prices are jumping around, you can buy gas for $2.65 a gallon and then the next morning it can be $2.15. If you have your tank full o f $2.65 gas you don't have room for the $2.15 gas. You might not understand the economics of only buying two eggs at a time but,
you can't buy cheaper gas if your tank is full of the high priced stuff.

Also, don't buy anything else at the gas station, don't give them any more of your hard earned money than what you spend on gas, until the prices come down..

Nix
05-17-2006, 12:21 PM
When I buy $10.00 worth of gas,that leaves my tank a little under half full.

Ha, I wish 10 would get me almost a half tank. Where did you get that story from? It makes sense but it would never happen...

pOrk
05-17-2006, 12:47 PM
I filled up last night, just shy of 45 dollers.

Slow Joe
05-17-2006, 12:56 PM
I filled up last night, just shy of 45 dollers.

Ditto... Therefore an actual half tank would be 22.50 for me... Oh and it's dollars... :goof

pOrk
05-17-2006, 12:58 PM
Haha, I spell it wrong everytime

juicedimpss
05-17-2006, 12:59 PM
lmao
10.00 might get me to work one day. last fill cost over $100,39.5 gal @2.99, ouch.
its not the gas stations fault,they are also paying more,no need to try to punish them by not buying other items from them. it is the oil companies that are gouging us,reporting record profits,i am failing to see the "added refining costs"

theavenger333
05-17-2006, 08:14 PM
i'm a grocery nerd, and a manager in a dairy dept, the fooker shoulda bought the 18-pack. as for your gas theory, 90% of vehicles on the road take a whoopin on the bottom half of the tank, as opposed to the top. i get like 250 miles on the top, i think 100 bottom.

88camaro
05-17-2006, 09:42 PM
I think my truck goes though gas faster when its under a half a tank, I could see maybe when you get a half of a tank fill up. The one thing that gets me is you really cant stop chicken from laying eggs but the oil companies all they will do is just slow their oil production to meet the demand enuff to make the profit that they want. I'm sorry but I don't really see this one working.

CruxGNZ
05-17-2006, 09:59 PM
I only put in $20 everytime I fuel up my vehicle, not because of the story (which I feel would be impossible to do), but because I don't feel like carying around all that extra weight in fuel when it's not needed. I takes 2-3 minutes to put $20 in, and there are gas stations everywhere. I do not find it a hassle to do this at all. So what's the point of topping off your fuel tank? Well, if you go on a road trip, then it makes sense, but for city driving, not me.

Yooformula
05-17-2006, 10:06 PM
You will still use the same amount of gas no matter how much you fill up at each stop if you are still driving the same amount. You have to stop driving to cut back your use of the gas.

Al
05-17-2006, 10:54 PM
You will still use the same amount of gas no matter how much you fill up at each stop

Ditto.

If I bury the needle in the red on my gas tank, it will take about 8 gallons to get it to half tank and 5 more to top it off.

Your tank guage is not very accurate.

Most often, your car gets better mileage when it is closer to empty because it has less weight to pull around.

DocDave
05-18-2006, 07:55 AM
Even if you get half as much gas at a time you still use the same amount in one week. There might be an initial effect, but after a while everybody would be going to the gas station every few days and the stations would be going through their tanks just as fast.

The problem is not at the pump, it's in the foreign countries holding us hostage with oil prices. In Venezuela they pay less than $0.40 a gallon, you think they charge us that little when they export it to us.

And for the record $10 would get me less than a quarter tank of gas. Maybe would last me three days.

Prince Valiant
05-18-2006, 07:59 AM
makes as much sense as a 1-day boycott.

d0nut
05-18-2006, 08:11 AM
The only thing that has been helping me is the fact that I work in Racine. Gas tends to be a dime cheaper there on average. On the rare times I fill the pig up it's around $60 for the tank.

I did score reg for $2.81 last Sat when it was $2.99 up here by my house. So what if I have to sit in the truck with the doors locked when I fill up........

Baddriver01
05-18-2006, 10:21 AM
makes as much sense as a 1-day boycott.

Yes the answer is not buying less of the same product...one needs to buy other similar products not made by the Ira...I mean chicken farmers. E85, biodiesel...hell invest in an electric golf cart...:rolleyes:

I can go a week without eggs, I can't go a day without gas. It's a pretty story but not feasable in the real market...

Rocket Power
05-18-2006, 05:43 PM
The only thing that has been helping me is the fact that I work in Racine. Gas tends to be a dime cheaper there on average.
I work in burlington. Normaly it raises slower out there and drops faster here. So I just keep an eye out and buy on one end of the trip or the other:goof