PDA

View Full Version : A/C Compressor shot or not? LT1 related

Firefighter Z
05-16-2006, 12:13 AM
How do you check to see if the AC Compressor is working or not?

Doesnt click on like it should when I turn on the AC, the pulley just rotates, it also blows warm air when you have the AC on the ON position.

This is for the LT1 btw.

-Josh

WilliamZ
05-16-2006, 06:19 AM
Put a charge in the a/c system and see if it will kick on and cycle..

A B4C Z
05-16-2006, 10:33 AM
For it to kick on there must be enough freon in it. So it sounds like you got freon in it just not enough. Make sure you put dye in it also. Everyone always says o i just need a recharge. But the only way you need a recharge is if you have a leak beacuse freon doesnt "wear out", it leaks out.

Kyle

Yooformula
05-16-2006, 10:34 AM
True true! I thought I needed a recharge but I ended up having a bent line that leaked. Now I need a recharge since I replaced the leaking line.

Firefighter Z
05-16-2006, 12:40 PM
can I buy a recharge kit at local parts store or do I have to have it done for me?

If its illegal in Wisconsin for me to do it I'll just go to Illinois or Michigan and buy it.

A B4C Z
05-16-2006, 06:21 PM
Wont be able to get it i belive they check your ID and will see Wisconsin. But I could be wrong. If you know someone with a AC liscense i belive you can buy it at auto zone etc.

97z2801ss
05-17-2006, 01:32 AM
i got my ac license, you should have it too kyle? did the asep program have that?

chargedformula
05-17-2006, 09:30 AM
i would jump the compressor to the battery first just to see if the clutch engages with power. dye isnt the best thing for the compressors though. no manufacturer recomends using dye.

JohnnyT
05-17-2006, 09:45 AM
i would jump the compressor to the battery first just to see if the clutch engages with power. dye isnt the best thing for the compressors though. no manufacturer recomends using dye.

You don't need to jump the compressor to the battery to test that. Just jumper the pressure switch.

GrimreaperSS
05-17-2006, 10:37 AM
I dont even think you can buy cans of r-134a like you used to be able to get those suicide cans of r-12. Just take it somewhere and have it checked out. Its really no that expensive. Depending on what kind of leak you have. If the front seal on the compressor is leaking, compressors are not very cheap.

Baddriver01
05-18-2006, 10:37 AM
I dont even think you can buy cans of r-134a like you used to be able to get those suicide cans of r-12. Just take it somewhere and have it checked out. Its really no that expensive. Depending on what kind of leak you have. If the front seal on the compressor is leaking, compressors are not very cheap.

We can't sell freon to unlicensed(AC license HVAC etc...) individuals in WI and sometimes we even need to see an automotive AC license to sell it. I know that you can get it in Gurnee without any problems. But as stated before, freon doesn't wear out, it only leaks. I suggest a professional also, it'll cost a few buck and a ton more for a compressor (I might be able to get you a deal) but it is also environmentally responsible :thumbsup

Firefighter Z
06-01-2006, 12:16 AM
How much does it cost to get it checked out, tested and recharged?