PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you tried to find your ancestors?

Crawlin
05-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Have any of you guys tried back tracking through your family tree to find out anything? I mean we all have that 6th grade assignment of the family tree, but I'm talking further back. Just wondering what sites are out there that can help. I just did a basic Google search, and that is pretty much pointless because it brings up a bunch of crap and pay sites. Any help?

Chris

ProjectCamaro
05-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Luckly I don't have to do any work, my family has kept very good records all the way back to before we came to America before it was a country. It's cool to see that my family fought in the American revolutionary war as well as the civil war.

Donny O.
05-11-2006, 08:38 PM
closest i came to that was a guy contacted me that was doing a geneology search and we were related back in the 1700s somehow. i have a pretty messed up tree anyway. i have brothers and sisters i've never met....not to mention aunts and uncles.

CruxGNZ
05-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Yeah, my family has. It's pretty cool actually. Three generations ago, they came from Germany and I would love to go over there and meet some of my family. Would be kind of neat.

Paysites are really the easiest way to go. I can find out which one we used and post it up.

fireguyrick
05-11-2006, 08:50 PM
I tried, however I ran into a ton of problems. My father's real last name is not what he used, and it is not what I have. My paternal grandmother came from Portugal, lied about her age to get married, so that is all messed up (not to mention she had a different real last name in Portugal vs. the US). I pretty much just said F-it.

Rick

Yooformula
05-11-2006, 09:07 PM
I have thought about it but my father took a different last name as well when he came into the country and from my mother's side, my grandmother is a cherokee but we dont know her parents names at all.

ProjectCamaro
05-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Wow I didn't realize how many problems can come up. Lucky all my work was already done for me, I can even tell you where in Ireland they came from. Our last name spelling changed. It's Murphey now but use to be Murphy back in the day.

USMARINE1108
05-11-2006, 09:26 PM
http://www.ellisisland.org/

I found this site awhile ago. Even if it dosent help you out, it's pretty cool to play with.

nismodave
05-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Ive been told I must be related to this guy......

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/entertainers/actors/john-holmes/john_holmes_wadd_shrunk.jpg

I have yet to find out for sure.