PDA

View Full Version : special insurance

JRink
05-01-2006, 11:33 AM
All,
I'm having trouble locating a place to insure my car for more than blue book. Look for an appraisel company or something that will come close to covering the actual value of the vehicle and what's invested into it. I'm assuming there are places that do this for custom rods and old classic cars, etc. I just can't seem to locate what I need.

I have every receipt for the car, pictures, and obviously willing to do a visual inspection. All I need is an appraisel. Any input?

JR

JohnnyT
05-01-2006, 11:40 AM
All,
I'm having trouble locating a place to insure my car for more than blue book. Look for an appraisel company or something that will come close to covering the actual value of the vehicle and what's invested into it. I'm assuming there are places that do this for custom rods and old classic cars, etc. I just can't seem to locate what I need.

I have every receipt for the car, pictures, and obviously willing to do a visual inspection. All I need is an appraisel. Any input?

JR

I just had my car appraised by Classic Appraisals last weekend. This is a guy that does it part time, but works with insurance companies. He did a really good job, provided me with a very nice report including pictures and is reasonable in price. His name is Pete, and can be reached at (414)916-9122, tell him John Themmes, with the white Galant VR-4 referred you.

Moparjim
05-01-2006, 11:52 AM
You need specialty car insurance - there's tons of companies. Its not just for collector or classic car's its for sports, exotics, modified cars etc. Best part is you don't need an appraisal - it is stated value insurance. you tell them how much you want to insure it for. They have vague rules, no milelage limits on most policies. You do need another car for daily use obviously but other than that its fairly lenient.

Not sure of the URLs but search for Haggerty, Moody, Tri State, or even jsut talk to your agent. Allstate and I think State Farm both have versions of it. Allstate actually uses Haggerty for theirs but you can get it right from your Allstate agent.

The only kick in the nuts is that you have to have 3 years TOTALLY ticket free for most of em...

JC70SS
05-01-2006, 11:58 AM
try www.hargerty.com
You will have to call them because I don't know if your car is old enough.

PB86MCSS
05-01-2006, 12:06 PM
They all have different requirements, some are that you cannot drive the car anywhere but basically from your garage and back into your garage, which is fine for many. One I looked into(that would take me at my age and having 1 ticket over the past 2 years) required a signed affadavit regarding that policy and I do plan to rarely take my car to a store or work on a nice day, so I balked at that in case something happens I don't want to be SOL. Some policy's also have additional coverage for aftermarket parts which is how I have my cars setup now. Through Progressive's Drive insurance you can add up to $2,500 in value(or more?) over BB value in the car for modifications. Not enough for most but its another option.

PonyKiller87
05-01-2006, 12:08 PM
I was able to get the type that MoparJim was talking about through State Farm. I was told that as long as its not your daily driver and you have an apraisal or recepts for all the parts/work or some way of showing what the car is worth they will cover it. Or you just declare a value that you want for it and thats what your insurance is based on. Its a pretty good deal.

JRink
05-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Jim,
Long time no hear... Thanks for the tip. Haggerty gave me an awesome price at the value I wanted so I'm in process of getting the paperwork done and everything to get switched over to them. Much appreciated!

JR

Yooformula
05-01-2006, 01:42 PM
My home owner's insurance covered my car for EVERYTHING done to it. It didnt cost that much more either so it was no brainer.

Moparjim
05-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Yeah good to hear from you too Jesse! I've been hearing about your latest project from Jeff, congrats on the awesome results!