PDA

View Full Version : fluids???

sloLs1
04-27-2006, 01:18 PM
well when i come over memorial day weekend i am going to change all of the fluids in my EVO. I was wondering what you guys recommend for the diffs. and tranny?!?!? people have told me go with OEM and others told me to use redline or royal purple. What do you think would work the best???

twicks69
04-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Redline Lightweight Shockproof gear fluid in the transmisison.

Redline Heavyweight Shockproof gear fluid in the transfer case and the rear end.

These are the recommended fluids to use if you beat the crap out of the DSM -- it will also probably have the best protection of all the stuff out there.

Other people will likely reccomend BG synchroshift in the tranny, but it is pretty darn thin, and can cause heat damage to the gears. It is also not as forgiving to the shockload of an AWD launch as the Redline heavyweight shockproof is.

You might see a little notchier shifting with the redline heavyweight in the tranny, but only when it is cold out, or the initial minute or two of driving. This shouldn't matter too much, since you shouldn't really be boosting your motor until it is fully warmed up.

Good Luck,

twicks69
04-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Also, I have broke enough trannies to account for all the DSM'ers out there...

Redline MTL is too thin, and overheats the gears. It also separates when it gets hot. DON"T USE.

Royal Purple 75/90 is too thin, and breaks down quickly. The heavier version also breaks down quickly. Royal Purple synchro gear oil is also not a good shockload absorbing gear oil.

If you are going to use BG Synchromesh, GM Synchromesh or Pennzoil Synchromesh, you will probably be mixing 50/50 with 80/90 weight gear oil. This combination gives the best driving characteristics in a daily driver, but will not stand the abuse of AWD launches.

I am on my 7th tranny, and can definitely say that if you take one apart, you will see the best coating characteristics from the Redline lightweight shockproof on the gears, bearings and synchros. GOOD STUFF!

Also a word of advice, upgrade your stock clutch line to a -3AN braided line. It will give you much quicker clutch engagement characteristics, and will likely prevent most of the transmission failures that I have been plagued with.

Good luck,

sloLs1
04-27-2006, 06:02 PM
YOU ARE GOD!!! thank you for your input... i think i will take your advice over anyone elses.... due to the fact of your DSM'ing heritage!!! looks like i'll be throwing some money down and going with the good stuff!!! my diffs and tranny will be happy!!!

fireguyrick
04-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Just curious what your opinon of Motul fluids are. I run a mix of Motul fluids all around (same mix as SWRT uses in the WRC car).

Rick

sloLs1
04-27-2006, 08:57 PM
never heard of that?!?!

theavenger333
04-27-2006, 10:46 PM
thick forkin gear oil.... like he said

twicks69
04-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Just curious what your opinon of Motul fluids are. I run a mix of Motul fluids all around (same mix as SWRT uses in the WRC car).

Rick

Motul fluids are great -- Expensive, but worth the price if you are a race team, and flushing everything after races. Personally, I would stick with the shockproof in a DSM tranny because their design sorta sucks from an engineering standpoint and anything that you can do to reduce shockload is a good thing to prevent it from hand grenading.

I have used Motul MT600 brake fluid with success, but I have to fully flush it every month or so to keep good brake pressures. ($12.00/500ml). Usually I use Wilwood 570 ($5.99/12oz @ Behlings) because it is cheaper and lasts longer than the Motul between changes. Their dry boiling points are close to each other, 594 degrees F (Motul) versus 570 degrees F (Wilwood). The motul has a better wet boiling point, but it is also more hydroscopic. If you are on a leaner budget, I have had very good success using Valvoline synthetic DOT3/4 brake fluid for the clutch and brakes with good lifetime from the fluid in-between changes. It is also less hydroscopic than both the Motul and the Wilwood fluids, and has a better shelf life from an opened container. A quart of the Valvoline stuff is like ($4.00-5.00 range at autozone, etc.)

jbiscuit
04-28-2006, 10:22 AM
I'll second the comment about the lightweight shockproof in trannys. I have been using it and it holds up well with my notchy 5-speed Scoobaru trans. I have Redline 75w90 in the rearend. Pegasus in New Berlin stocks Redline.

twicks69
04-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Behlings and Top Street also stock redline at all times, and they are usually a little cheaper than Pegasus.

jbiscuit
04-28-2006, 10:33 AM
good to know.