PDA

View Full Version : TPI Tuning

67-400
04-24-2006, 05:21 PM
Hey everyone,
I was recommended by a friend to come here to gain some knowledge on tuning....I have a 92 Z28 with only 35,000 ORIGINAL miles. List of mods are below and was wondering if there is a speedshop around Milwaukee, or if there is anyone reputable around who can actually tune my car by the means of putting a laptop to my ECM and programming it? My knowledge of that is very limited.

350 cid, stock block & crank
Trickflow Twisted Wedge G2 style heads
Comp Cams w/ .480 gross lift in/exh. Duration at .050 210/220 112deg
Comp Cams 1.5 roller rockers
SLP Twin Runners
SLP Headers
Flowmaster 3" exhaust w/ dual in single out Hi-flow cat
24# Venom injectors
Fuel pressure regulator
58mm BBK TB
Ported/matched upper plenum
4.10 Gears
Modified 700R4 w/lock-up switch
P275 40 R17 drag radials

Last year I ran a 13.98 w/ 1.906 60' time. That was before I added 4.10's, 58mm, ported upper plenum & 24# injectors. Now it seems even slower yet on the street (haven't tested new mods on track yet). That is why I feel I need a tune. Any referrals on this is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks :)

subliminal1284
04-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Good luck find anyone around here who will tune TPI. If you find any let me know. I have heard 4:10 gears is way too much for a tpi engine, sure youre gonna get great low end torque but youre gonna run out of steam real quick especially with a tpi engine that doesnt have good top end to begin with.

Lash
04-24-2006, 07:19 PM
x2 on the 4:10 Takes it too much out of the power range

I'd gor for 3:42's or 3:73's

67-400
04-24-2006, 10:57 PM
I thought this thread was about tuning a TPI? Thanks to the guy who sent me a tip about not goin with 4.10's. Im sorry if I didn't go into detail about my future plans of a Mini-ram or Stealth Ram or a different induction system all together however for right now as the thread posts...... "I am interested in who knows of any reputable parties that are capable of tuning a TPI in the Milwaukee area." I appreciate the wish of good luck, i'll continue on looking and advise if any success. I still welcome any other members of brewcitymuscle to send me any referrals. Thanks.

PB86MCSS
04-24-2006, 11:07 PM
No help here but I'd also be curious if anyone in the area is a guru or well known for TPI stuff....seems like its lost between the vast amount of carbed cars/knowledge and LT1/LS1 guru's.

Scales
04-24-2006, 11:25 PM
I would start looking on www.thirdgen.org first. They have a HUGE knowledge base on PROM tuning. One thing I will warn you about. They will not answer any questions if they think you are looking for someone to help you do the work. They have an entire section on DIY PROM where most of the questions have already been asked. They also have "walkthrough" instructions and links to where you can buy the stuff you need to do it yourself. I have all the stuff to burn the chips, I just haven't tried it yet. Should be pretty interesting though since I pretty much forgot everything I learned about it though.

Otherwise, you could also try www.pcmforless.com. They do good work, but you will always have to send it back for tweaks anytime you change or add any mods. I really don't think any shops do it locally though.

Hope that helps a little and good luck man! :thumbsup

BTW, welcome to BCM and got any pics of the car?

67-400
04-25-2006, 05:55 AM
Hey, Thanks for the reply! Thats what I have been finding, that everyone says just do it yourself. Thanks for the tip on goin to thirdgen.org, i'll check it out. Attached are a couple pics for ya! Thanks again!

Max 93
04-25-2006, 06:49 AM
nice looking car, you could try pcmforless.com for a mailorder tune.

PonyKiller87
04-25-2006, 09:00 AM
Just like all you guys I realized that nobody in the area does this, so I went out and bought all the stuff to do it. Slowly I am making some progress on my car but Im not at the point yet where I would want to mess with someone elses car. Once I get more fimilar with it all I will be more than happy to tune any TPI or TBI stuff that I can. Give me about 2 months and I think I should have it pretty well figured out.

Scales
04-25-2006, 12:00 PM
Vey nice car! :thumbsup

PB86MCSS
04-25-2006, 12:00 PM
Thirdgen is pretty helpful. I also agree its a good idea to learn how to do it yourself if you plan to alter your car which most of us do from time to time :). Fortunately I know someone who is very knowledgeable in TPI PROM tuning and willing to do it for/with me as I long as I supply him with the chips and postage(doesn't live around here) as once I finally get my 350 it will require a custom PROM and probably some tuning.

Nix
04-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Hey, Thanks for the reply! Thats what I have been finding, that everyone says just do it yourself. Thanks for the tip on goin to thirdgen.org, i'll check it out. Attached are a couple pics for ya! Thanks again!

K-move in da hizzy! Your car sucks man... :goof

PonyKiller87
04-25-2006, 02:37 PM
What ever you do, dont spend alot of money (more than $50 a pop) on mail order stuff, and don't waste any money on a hypertech/Jet/.... or any other performance chip, they all suck and will not help much at all or like in my case it made things worse.

From all the stuff that I have been reading on TGO (thirdgen.org) it takes a couple of times datalogging and re editing until you get things working really good. Or if you have the autoprom you can do emulation and tune on the fly, well once I bring it out of the garage I can anyways. I think there are a couple of us on BCM now that have the stuff to do the tunning but it seems as though everyone is at the same point right now, learning. Hopefully by mid summer we will be making some serious progress.

TransAm12sec
04-25-2006, 08:50 PM
I may have met you at Oscars last year. Did you trailer your car back here?

67-400
04-25-2006, 09:33 PM
Yah, I trailered it back from Nebraska. I found it online at a steel price I couldn't pass up. I'm down at Oscars every now and then, maybe we'll see you again. Look me up if you do!

TransAm12sec
04-25-2006, 11:03 PM
Yup, I remember talking to you. I was in the red 82. I think you were with your gf or wife.

67-400
04-26-2006, 09:06 AM
Yup, I remember talking to you. I was in the red 82. I think you were with your gf or wife.

I think I remember now....yah. That was jus a female friend of mine, out on the town. If you see me down there again, look me up.

PonyKiller87
04-26-2006, 03:52 PM

Nice car. You should bring that thing down to Third Gen Fest. You could probably win something being that your paint job is so clean.

http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11485

67-400
04-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Nice car. You should bring that thing down to Third Gen Fest. You could probably win something being that your paint job is so clean.

http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11485

Third Gen fest, huh? When & where? That is in fact the ORIGINAL paint, I did a carfax prior to buyin to make sure the other owner wasn't fraudulantly advertising his car. It was funny, I was at a gas station a week or so ago and someone had asked me "Where did you get that paint job? My buddy has this mustang he's building and wants it colored like that." I told him to "Check out General Motors." ha, its all good though, he was impressed. Thanks for the tip, maybe we'll see ya there or around town :headbang

TransAm12sec
04-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Thirdgen Fest 1459 E. Goodenow Rd. Crete, IL 60417

May 26th-27th. Main day is the 27th.

2 hours south of the Marquette Interchange, central Milwaukee.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/third-gen-fest-06/355039-tickets-registration-packs-sale.html

http://thirdgenranch.com/_wsn/page3.html

97PontiacW68
04-27-2006, 02:17 PM
:drool: thats is a beautiful lookin thirdgen!

loud91rs
04-27-2006, 02:28 PM
I always wanted a purple 91-92. Makes me miss my car. I love your car!

67-400
04-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks!! :thumbsup

GRM-REPR
04-27-2006, 07:01 PM
Sorry Mike, thought this site could've recommended you to a speed shop. You'll make more friends here though....:headbang

67-400
04-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Sorry Mike, thought this site could've recommended you to a speed shop. You'll make more friends here though....:headbang

Yah, this site is way cool, jus as long as we don't get any ppl gettin all rude n stuff. Why do they even bother? :rolleyes: Like that homo who said my car sucks :chair: .......ha, j/k Nick! :thumbsup

Nix
04-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Yah, this site is way cool, jus as long as we don't get any ppl gettin all rude n stuff. Why do they even bother? :rolleyes: Like that homo who said my car sucks :chair: .......ha, j/k Nick! :thumbsup

My bad Mike Iam sorry.

On second thought, probably not. You and your crappy Fbody:goof :alcoholic

67-400
04-28-2006, 11:03 AM
My bad Mike Iam sorry.

On second thought, probably not. You and your crappy Fbody:goof :alcoholic

Alright homo, bring it to the track biotch and see who'll become the ELITE. My Fbody or your old, spent firebird? Just give me a few weeks for me to tune it, k? haha

Nix
04-28-2006, 12:28 PM
Alright homo, bring it to the track biotch and see who'll become the ELITE. My Fbody or your old, spent firebird? Just give me a few weeks for me to tune it, k? haha

Ummm, they are both Fbodies. Also it wasnt spent last year when we had that garbage little rolling race (which proves nothing) and you knelt to my burnt out bird and became its b!tch. But none the less Kramer I will take you up on your offer/wanna be call out. My very lite build of a 350 aginst your moneypit. You let me know if your intrested son.

67-400
04-28-2006, 01:49 PM
Ummm, they are both Fbodies. Also it wasnt spent last year when we had that garbage little rolling race (which proves nothing) and you knelt to my burnt out bird and became its b!tch. But none the less Kramer I will take you up on your offer/wanna be call out. My very lite build of a 350 aginst your moneypit. You let me know if your intrested son.

Oh yah, I remember that rolling race c*ck smoker, That was previous to me havin all those mods done, like a year ago...I recall. We'll take it to the track and see whats up. Now quit bein such a bi*ch

Nix
04-28-2006, 02:05 PM
Oh yah, I remember that rolling race c*ck smoker, That was previous to me havin all those mods done, like a year ago...I recall. We'll take it to the track and see whats up. Now quit bein such a bi*ch

I understnad now, you are trying to scare me. Well its working fella keep it up. Take care of that moneypit and make sure its actually running somewhat decent when we have our little race. I love being called a ***** too by the way.:thumbsup You are a winner Kramer...

67-400
04-28-2006, 03:08 PM
I understnad now, you are trying to scare me. Well its working fella keep it up. Take care of that moneypit and make sure its actually running somewhat decent when we have our little race. I love being called a ***** too by the way.:thumbsup You are a winner Kramer...

Nix
04-28-2006, 03:24 PM

Your very welcome sweetie pie.:drool:

GRM-REPR
04-28-2006, 03:36 PM
homo's...

67-400
04-28-2006, 04:12 PM
homo's...

I'll see you both down at Crotch House tonight

Nix
04-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Yes the CROTCH HOUSE!!! It seems to be the place to be latley.:banana1: :banana :alcoholic