PDA

View Full Version : tuning questions... for a neon(non-srt)

TURTLE
04-24-2006, 02:20 PM
well, apparently i'm not good at the whole "tuning" part of modifing my car...

fastest my car went(sans-spray) last year was a 15.7 @89'ish
i've got low end issues with my car, and i know this..

fastest i've gone this year was a fluke 16.2 @ 82, and that was thinking i was spraying with no nitrous flowing, all fuel(a.k.a. pegging my a/f meter)

on spray my car apparently fixxes this "issue" with fuel and i went 14.6 @ 98...

anyone know enough about fuel tuning to lend a hand here?

car is a 2002 neon es... bolt ons, no motor work with a NOS wet-50 shot plumbed in the intake...
no cam, no cam gear, no computer...

is it plugs? is it injectors, is it me?

i'll answer most questions about the state of my car... if you're concerned about info leaking out, PM me...

for the record i don't have a turbo, and i don't have a SAFC... yet(on short list of things to get)

TURTLE
05-03-2006, 12:06 PM
n-e-1?

flackjacket
05-03-2006, 03:37 PM
only thing related to tuning on a stock car would be timing. Sounds like you need a good ol' fashion tune. ie. fuel filter, air filter, plugs, wires, cap & rotor (if neons even have a distributor).

as a side note: nitrous isn't really a fuel. it is N2O and when it is introduced to high heat (combustion) it breaks down and frees the oxygen molecule. Therefore the fuel has an accelerator in oxygen. cheers!

sloLs1
05-03-2006, 07:41 PM
only thing related to tuning on a stock car would be timing. Sounds like you need a good ol' fashion tune. ie. fuel filter, air filter, plugs, wires, cap & rotor (if neons even have a distributor).

as a side note: nitrous isn't really a fuel. it is N2O and when it is introduced to high heat (combustion) it breaks down and frees the oxygen molecule. Therefore the fuel has an accelerator in oxygen. cheers!

he said its a wet shot...

Well first check your soleniods to make sure both are functioning. If there both working then your nitrous set up should be functioning(may need to check the jets to make sure they arent clogged.) Also do you have a nitrous pressure gauge??? a bottle heater??? purge??? many things go into a setup to make it function properly. i have ran a wet 65 shot on my old saturn and i know it can be vary day to day hour to hour.... if you cant monitor your pressure and keep it steady, your times will vary greatly! hope this helps!

as far as tuning goes... you'll need a wide band O2 as well. A safc is a great start to tuning but it doesnt control timing. But you can maybe squeak out an extra 15-20 horse out of it tuned correctly!

petej
05-03-2006, 07:44 PM
what are the bolt ons? intake and header? going fast with that platform will take more than spray

sloLs1
05-03-2006, 08:29 PM
^^^ agreed upon... also is it an auto or manual transmission???

TURTLE
05-04-2006, 10:59 AM
it's a 5-speed...

standard intake header exhaust... intake manifold, got a 60mm TB...

and the jets are good, just took 'em out and checked 'em... and the solenoids are both working... checked 'em seprate last night...
unfortunately i have no gauge, heater, blanket, remote open, or fancy add-ons(but i'm trying to save for 'em) and a gauge is first on my list so i can at least know what i'm running for pressure

my guess is the regular tune of the car isn't the best, and something with the extra fuel when running the n2o pulls the extra little out of the car...

gotta get a WB on the car to see exactly what it's doing... although EGT's off the spray creep up to around 1525'ish... dunno if that's high or low... on the spray it's closer to 1550...

oh and thanks for the help guys... i know it's not fast yet, but the more help i get, the faster i hope to get it..

sloLs1
05-04-2006, 01:16 PM
well are you consistant with your driving at the track???(60ft and 1/8) maybe last time you were shifting better or getting better traction?!?! also in order for you to get all of your 50hp out of your 50 shot you need to keep it at about 950psi and clear all the air out of the line with a purge. the bottle heater will get you up to 950psi... if you dont have one i think the best i could get mine up to was about 675psi:( so your times will vary as much as they are if you are running your car the way you are.(i said "are" alot!:shades )

as far as the EGT's... that sounds high but for that motor/car it may run that high?!?!? i dun know??? you would have to check into that! my saturn runs considerably lower than that... about 1350-1400! good luck!

TURTLE
05-04-2006, 02:01 PM
thanks for the advice, and i'm still chasing my set-up suspension wise because it hooks great on the street, but i can't get any traction at GLD...

and i've posted the egt question on the national neon board... most of the neons on there that are using spray don't really tell ya about it...

and bottle heater is a must have on my short list... and that's really short... lol

petej
05-10-2006, 03:38 PM
first things first, know whats going on in there as far as pressures, get a gauge, it will help and be saftey measure, also this may be a long shot but have you been in watertown with that car ever? swear i have seen that car at a badgerwash before, but i could be wrong

TURTLE
05-11-2006, 02:16 PM
yeah, badger is the place with the clean silver neon.. lol
i live in watertown, so i'm always around there...

and what do you mean by pressures? n2o pressure? fuel pressure?

neons are a non-return system, so the only way that i'd have a fuel issure was if the pump was on it's way out, and i've got a walboro 255lph unit in there new 10k miles ago...

nitrous pressure guage is on the way, so that will take that out of the question, and a bottle heater is on the short list of to get this season...

fireguyrick
05-11-2006, 02:41 PM
yeah, badger is the place with the clean silver neon.. lol
i live in watertown, so i'm always around there...

So how long ago did you get out of Grafton?

Rick

TURTLE
05-11-2006, 03:11 PM
been out of grafton for 2 years or so...

what year did you graduate? you looked familiar at the monday car show i was at...

fireguyrick
05-11-2006, 03:35 PM
'99 You worked at Kmart for a while did you not?

Rick

TURTLE
05-11-2006, 04:02 PM
uh-huh.... i thought i recognized ya... lol

petej
05-11-2006, 05:21 PM
yeah i spend half my time here and half in watertown so im sure with the summer near we will be seeing more of eachothers cars, i ment a n2o pressure gauge so your good to go