PDA

View Full Version : Broken torque arm!

GrimreaperSS
04-16-2006, 05:05 PM
Ahhh well, live and learn I guess. My torque arm just broke today. :crying
Sheered off a the diff. mount. I just checked out LS1tech and have found that this is a common problem. I was reasearching new arms, and also just happen to find a little disclamer on BMR's web-site about Moser 12-bolt users. I wasnt aware that the bolts are known for coming loose, and I'm pretty sure thats what happened to mine. Any suggestions on a new T/A? The one that just broke is a BMR adjustable, and I'm pretty sure its a trans. mounted style. Spohn seems to be popular and also UMI, but I have never heard of UMI before today. I think I want to change mine to a chassis mounted style, bolt in, but I dont know how it will work with the Hotchkis sub-frame connectors? Any experience/suggestions are welcome, just want to know SOON!, I want to get back on the road asap.

BAD LS1
04-16-2006, 05:21 PM
Most of them will require some "trimming" on the new T/A with a 12 bolt or 9" so it doesnt cave the floor pan in.

Yeah, gotta use grade 8 bolts w/ loctite and lock washers on them t/a bolts with a aftermarket rear end. Cracked my stocker like that

I have the Spohn trans mount one.

As you can see the the flat plate that mounts to the bottom of the rear, there is an identical one on the top side, that outer 90 degree corner needs to be rounded off and ground in about a 1/4 " if you have an adj panhard, you can move the rear twoards the pass side slightly to compensate too.

Dont forget to set your pinion angle at : -2 to -3 degrees

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3842/img00532aq.jpg

Knyghtmare
04-16-2006, 05:38 PM
I have the Spohn trans mount arm as well. Its a very nice piece, I suggest going with that. Might want to order it from somewhere other than Spohn, apparently they are backed up in shipping and might take a few weeks.

Crawlin
04-17-2006, 08:25 AM
Spohn trans mount relocated off the tranny to the TH350 crossmember. 1.4 off the footbrake :) says it's doing pretty well

pain
04-17-2006, 10:39 AM
I have a Spohn Torque arm and crossmember setup for sale. $250 takes it. PM me for details. I bought a 1994 Firebird with all this stuff installed on it and I am planning on going with some different suspension setup on the car. I also have lower control arms too.

PHDcamaro
04-17-2006, 03:19 PM
i broke 2 stock ones on my 3.4 .... now that POWA BABY lol

GTSLOW
04-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Whats a good one that can work on a 10 bolt or a moser 12bolt?

Would it be worth anything for a mostly stock car?

GrimreaperSS
04-23-2006, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the info guys..... I just got same BMR bar as what was on there. Was easier cause Speed Inc had it in stock and I was able to send someone to get it the same day. The only thing I am worried about now is it seems my
car is a little lower (ride height) in the rear now. I didnt look too closely, but I didnt notice anything out of whack when I was installing the new bar. Just that tire to fender clearence looks tighter and now when hitting bumps, my left rear scraps a tad, which it never did before, just going straight down the road. I always had the scraps arounds turns, when pushing the car a little harder through the turns, but now it seems it'll scrap sooner than before also. IDK, just have to get it back on the rack and take a closer look I guess.
Just for the fun of it, my diff. angle is -4 and the drive shaft angle is +2, equalling the -2 suggested pinion angle. This sound like some off numbers to anyone? Cause in comparing the adjustment sleeve on the new arm (after adjustments) to the old arm, I have a lot more threads showing on the new one. :confused Other than the scrapping issue, the car drives just fine, no driveline vibrations or anything.