PDA

View Full Version : Saturn Sky TURBO!?!

Al
04-13-2006, 01:42 AM
Looks like GM might do something smart for once...

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/news/turbo-lover-gm-reveals-saturn-sky-redline-166556.php

260 hp/260 ft lb. It'll outrun an S2k for sure! I've always thought of the s2k as the set bar for all others.

Just think about when somebody kicks the boost up a little and ends up with a 300 hp roadster! :banana

Too bad I cannot afford one.

Slow Joe
04-13-2006, 08:15 AM
Good they're finally doing something to step it up... When I first found out about the car I said supercharger, but turbo is just as good :thumbsup

Karps TA
04-13-2006, 09:30 AM
Too bad it's still a Saturn.

Al
04-13-2006, 11:09 AM

True, but the engine is Toyota (VVTL-i)!

I think they will be able to hit 200k w/o problem.

sloLs1
04-13-2006, 12:22 PM

hey theres nothing wrong with saturns!!! have owned a couple... one turbo and one with nitrous!!! they can be fun cars!!! :durr

I like the numbers... Especially "260 lb.-ft. of torque at 2500 rpm"

Flicktitty
04-13-2006, 12:44 PM
hey theres nothing wrong with saturns!!! have owned a couple... one turbo and one with nitrous!!!
:wooo got pic? i used to know a few people with sprayed and boosted saturns :headbang

Karps TA
04-13-2006, 04:24 PM
For some reason Saturns are my most hated car on the road. I've hated them since they came out and had that stupid "no haggle pricing" moto (which I always found funny, cause you can walk into any dealership and pay whats on the sticker, you're just stupid if you do) and the bodies make me think of Rubbermaid products like they should be sold at Walmart.

But that's just me. :shrug:

DirtyMax
04-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Not a big fan. I get to look at this one guy's Solstice every day and it looks similarily gay.

From having had my friends S2K for days at a time because he was borrowing my truck, it's definitely "the bar". I don't know why people sweat these cars so much. Because they start with a button?!?? :confused

If it has to be a 2 seater, give me a 90's 300ZX TT anyday... :drool:

DSMDuDE
04-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Im guessing this is his from looking though his pics

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/StrokedEVO/deb10fe4.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/StrokedEVO/9d201e11.jpg

sloLs1
04-13-2006, 06:23 PM
^^^ awesome i didnt have to do any work!!!
...and heres another pic

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/StrokedEVO/Picture308.jpg

sloLs1
04-13-2006, 06:24 PM
heres a bad pic of my nitroused satty... this is when it was basically stock...

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/StrokedEVO/nos-saturn.jpg

and another of the turbo satty!!!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/StrokedEVO/f67a5428.jpg

Al
04-14-2006, 12:36 AM
hey theres nothing wrong with saturns!!!

Saturns can be a little too 'low class.' My sister had one and the back seat had this crap padding that felt like cardboard. Also, they tend to start dripping fluids and making lots of noise.

I remember having a teacher who said that they were "the best car for the money" back in 98. I mentioned it to some of the people I worked with and they told me ALL of the issues the early ones had. So, I went back to the teacher and told him what some mechanics said. As you can expect, he said he had a masters degree and he knew what was really the best deal. But sure enough, I've seen his car on the side of the road a few times. I even picked on him a few times with my integra.

The funny thing is that he is one of those people who hears the car commercials with the up-beat music in the background, he would get all excited and rush to a dealership...consumer whore.

The good thing about saturns is that they have really tough frames. My sister's same car was parked on Prospect a few years ago and it was hit by one of those box-trucks like a large u-haul. Not only did the sleeping driver hit my sisters car, he took out the four cars in front of her's!!! In the end, all four doors on her car opened normally, the firewall was kicked in about 4 inches, and the car was about 3 feet shorter.

HP ADDICT
04-15-2006, 12:08 PM
Isnt it basically the same as the pontiac solstice gxp?

HITMAN
04-16-2006, 03:15 PM

:confused

Is that who makes the GM Ecotec?

I think you'd better reread your facts sheet...

ProjectCamaro
04-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Isnt it basically the same as the pontiac solstice gxp?

yup

97PontiacW68
04-16-2006, 06:27 PM
eh i thought it looked good at the auto show.. looks better than the soltice in my opinion.. a lil bit more curves but similar

Karps TA
04-16-2006, 07:02 PM
I do think the Sky looks better, however since you need to be like under 5'10 to fit in either one it doesn't really matter to me. Pretty useless cars other then as a toy.

ProjectCamaro
04-16-2006, 09:52 PM
I do think the Sky looks better, however since you need to be like under 5'10 to fit in either one it doesn't really matter to me. Pretty useless cars other then as a toy.

I take it you've never driven one, my dad is about 6'2" and my mom bought him a Solstice for his birthday and he fits with room to spare. There's more head room in that than in my Camaro and it really is a fun car to drive. I always thought I got a lot of looks in my Camaro but it's nothing compared to when I drive his car.

sloLs1
04-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Saturns can be a little too 'low class.' My sister had one and the back seat had this crap padding that felt like cardboard. Also, they tend to start dripping fluids and making lots of noise.

I remember having a teacher who said that they were "the best car for the money" back in 98. I mentioned it to some of the people I worked with and they told me ALL of the issues the early ones had. So, I went back to the teacher and told him what some mechanics said. As you can expect, he said he had a masters degree and he knew what was really the best deal. But sure enough, I've seen his car on the side of the road a few times. I even picked on him a few times with my integra.

The funny thing is that he is one of those people who hears the car commercials with the up-beat music in the background, he would get all excited and rush to a dealership...consumer whore.

The good thing about saturns is that they have really tough frames. My sister's same car was parked on Prospect a few years ago and it was hit by one of those box-trucks like a large u-haul. Not only did the sleeping driver hit my sisters car, he took out the four cars in front of her's!!! In the end, all four doors on her car opened normally, the firewall was kicked in about 4 inches, and the car was about 3 feet shorter.

if you "maintain" your saturn it will run trouble free for ever... my dads saturn has 302,xxx miles on it. stock motor and tranny.... and the past two saturns i have had, i put through hell and back and you better believe there still runnning!!! i ran a 75shot of nitrous on a 93sl2 with 175,xxx miles on it!!! :wooo it never blew!!! i think its all about how you take care of your care... thats how a lot of cars are though!

SpdRcrZ
04-16-2006, 10:36 PM

lol....... :rolf only 2 GM sold cars had that engine.... the prism and vibe......

http://www.jalopnik.com/images/2006/04/saturn_redline_07_2.jpg
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/04images/06solstice_1.jpg
http://www.rksport.com/image?product_id=26011000&size=full

not sure which one I like more....

Al
04-16-2006, 11:38 PM
:confused

Is that who makes the GM Ecotec?

I think you'd better reread your facts sheet...

True, but VVTL-i, which is advertised on the Solstice, is a TOYOTA trademark. I bet if you pop the hood, you will find "toyota" cast into the engine somewhere on the saturn.

^CORRECTION: they only have vvt in the solstice, I read vvtl-i on a vibe GT

Ecotec is one thing, VVTL-i is Toyota. I did a little research and found that Ecotec engines just use a cam-phasing mechanism, which is the original VVT. VVTL-i uses a multi-lobe system similar to VTEC. Overall, VVTL-i is much better than cam phasing alone. Honda has also begun to use the cam phasers in the i-vtec engines.

lol....... :rolf only 2 GM sold cars had that engine.... the prism and vibe......

Yep.

But do not forget that toyota has some involvement in the chevy engine block castings for nascar. Then again, I think that GM owns major stock in toyota, so they can do these kinds of things.

I just found this!!!

Ecotec=VVT (http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/engines/ecotec/)

Karps TA
04-17-2006, 07:20 AM
I take it you've never driven one, my dad is about 6'2" and my mom bought him a Solstice for his birthday and he fits with room to spare. There's more head room in that than in my Camaro and it really is a fun car to drive. I always thought I got a lot of looks in my Camaro but it's nothing compared to when I drive his car.

Actually I have and I can't shift without having my knee on some weird ass angle that's uncomfortable. To have the seat all the way back makes the seat back pretty much straightup which is uncomfortable to me as well. My dad who is 5'10 had the same issues.

Add to that stupid things like the cupholder being placed directly behind your right tricep, and only enough storage in the trunk with the top down to stick a case of soda, and I think the car is ridiculously useless. At the Auto show I sat in all the competitions small verts, and all of them felt way more roomy to me. And it seems like GM is the only one of the mfgs who didn't think anyone would want to have a fun small vert that you could also take on weekend getaways.

For as much hope that I had for the Solstice before it came out, when I actually got to drive one and take a close look at it in person I couldn't have been more disappointed.

SpdRcrZ
04-17-2006, 01:31 PM
I kinda like the VVT on the EcoTec...... electronicly adjustable cam gears ;)

In the auto buisness, everyone has a hand in everyone's pocket........ GM with Isuzu, Toyota, Honda, Subby (Fuji)........ I think they just sold their stake in Fuji not to long ago....... but they used their tec. in that Saab awd wagon......

The 4 cylinder EcoTec though has been around for a few years, starting over seas..... then here in the saturn, and now in all of GM's 4 cylinder cars (besides the Aveo.... damn Dawue) it replaced both the 2.2/2200 OVH engine, and the 2.4 Twin Cam engine....... The VVT GM used is their 2nd attempt at it.... their first is on the Trail Blazer inline 6, and I think they have it, or are working on a V6 with the VVT (with Honda).

Al
04-17-2006, 02:10 PM
GM should just buy all of their heads from honda and toyota.