PDA

View Full Version : Synchros???

sloLs1
04-11-2006, 01:26 PM
anyone ever rebuild a 6 speed tranny out of a '98 camaro??? My buddy has one and it grinds goin into 4 and 5.... he's thinking its the synchros?!?!? I have rebuilt trannys before but they were all transaxles!!! is it basically the same??? anything to watch out for??? Thanks for the help!!!

BAD LS1
04-11-2006, 05:53 PM
I rebuild these things. It's either the snychro's are bad yes, or the clutch hydraulics are that bad that the clutch doesnt fuly disengage and is still placing some input through the trans and that will cause a grind.

You'll need special flat snap ring pliers that take clips off that hold the whole thing just about all together, and its a ***** to assmble if you havent done one before with getting the shift rail lined up. There are two female torx headed studs on top that need to come out that loctite on them that needs to be heated witha torch to get them out w/o stripping the torx out.... Lots of other little quirks too

sloLs1
04-11-2006, 06:45 PM
cool cool... i'll probily end up doing a full rebuild on the tranny for him.... the car has 106k miles on it :wooo ! I will do it in my Drivetrains class here at wyotech on student days... then i can have an instructor help me if needed :thumbsup !!! Thank you for the input!

number1
04-13-2006, 09:09 PM
http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/media/pdfs_autogen/T-56_Service_Manual.pdf

service manual

t56rebuild.com just had a sale for a t56 rebuild kit.

sloLs1
04-13-2006, 09:45 PM
thanks for the info... i already have that info available to me at school... i was just wondering if there were any little corky problems people have when rebuilding these trannys!!! thanks for the input!

Jake B. (Killer Quad)
04-17-2006, 11:15 PM
Ya just busted the 3rd gear blocker ring on my car an the syncro's were all chewd up from beating the car for 4 years

yes getting the shift rails lined up is a *****, well I didnt do it but the guy at work had fun doing it or me, lol. I'll see in the morning how good of a job he did when I go for a ride with it.
The other quirk is one of the gear sets is pressed on and can be a real ***** to remove if you dont have the right puller.

T56rebuild.com good place had my stuff next day for only 15 bucks more. They know there **** there.