PDA

View Full Version : Weatherby Vanguard Rifle Opinions

73Dustr
04-10-2006, 09:17 AM
I am looking to buy a new rifle for deer hunting this year. I know it's a long ways away, but I'd like to spend time shopping around. Anyways, I looked at the Weatherby Vanguard Stainless and really liked it. It's right in the price range I was looking at, but I was just wondering if any of the hunters on the board have one or have heard of any issues with them. Any info you have would be great. Thanks.

DirtyMax
04-10-2006, 10:22 AM
That's a lot of coin to drop on a gun you'll only use for deer hunting. If you go out West hunting a few times a year too, then I could see dropping that kind of $ on a gun but if you just deer hunt here in WI and that's it, save yourself a few hundred and go pick up a Remington or a Savage. The Savage offers the same features and is proved to have the most consistently accurate barrels out right now.

But it's your money...

SLOWC5
04-10-2006, 11:29 AM
I think you'll be happy with your purchase. between my dad and I we have 7-8 weatherby rifles, from 7mm to .416 weatherby mag. never had one issue with them, they've seen the heat and the cold.
JEFF

73Dustr
04-10-2006, 07:05 PM
That's a lot of coin to drop on a gun you'll only use for deer hunting. If you go out West hunting a few times a year too, then I could see dropping that kind of $ on a gun but if you just deer hunt here in WI and that's it, save yourself a few hundred and go pick up a Remington or a Savage. The Savage offers the same features and is proved to have the most consistently accurate barrels out right now.

But it's your money...

I think you might be thinking about the Mark V which is a $1300+ gun. The one I am talking about is Weatherby's "economic rifle" for the everyday person. From what I saw out at Sportsmans Warehouse, the Vanguard is pretty much the same price as the Remington 700 synthetic. I wanted to ask around due to the fact that it is Weatherby's "cheap" rifle and is made over in Japan. Remington came out with their 710 package a couple years ago and the price was very cheap, but the in my opinion, everything about the gun is garbage. From what I saw at the store, the quality of the Vanguard was in the same class as the Remington 700. I just wanted to check around and see if anyone has had any issues with them because they are just starting to gain popularity, unlike the 700 which has been around forever. Thanks for the input.

97PontiacW68
04-10-2006, 07:33 PM
just get a .40 calibur glock like me haha jk but i would get whatever feels the most comfortable and best bang for the buck

Holeshot
04-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Weatherby makes some of the best fire arms in the world.... My favorite is the .460 Mag :eek: :eek: I dont think anyone could fire it with out breaking a shoulder. :durr Check out the Muzzle energy on this bad boy!!

http://www.weatherby.com/products/ammo.asp?prd_id=13

HITMAN
04-10-2006, 11:21 PM
Weatherby's Japan stuff is actually made by Howa. Howa makes some beautiful rifles, and they're quite reasonable. Why not just cut out the middle man (Weatherby) and go straight to the source (http://www.legacysports.com/product/index.htm)?

theavenger333
04-11-2006, 01:09 AM
weatherby makes a mean rifle, but i gotta agree with 4eyed. i've been deer hunting for what, just under 10 years, unless you are hunting off a field or somehting, you won't need anyhting that powerful. its your money, obviously, but i hunted first with a Remington .30 caliber, yes, a .30 caliber, not .30.30 or .30/.06. moved up to my marlin lever .30/.30, now i use a semi auto remington .30/.06. its been great, and honestly even the semi is a bit of overkill for me. its all on what you want, but a weatherby is a LOT of money to be dropping for a short deer season.

USMARINE1108
04-11-2006, 10:27 PM
You can't go wrong with a Rem 700. Like already said, they've been around and been proven time and time again. I"m not talking about a Rem 710, that thing is a complete peice. http://www.hqmc.usmc.mil/factfile.nsf/0/03ae5c82962bc0f48525627b006d3126?OpenDocument

The M-40A1 is "based" on a Rem 700 with a .308 bolt. Just shows what can be done with it. However, You can always build an AR-10. But beware, AR's tend to multiply.