PDA

View Full Version : Maybe someone here knows

Flight_740
04-07-2006, 11:09 AM
My father has a rental proprety and he is having troubles with his tenants that just moved out. Does anybody know where to find the list of laws for the landlords and tenants?

Mopar Scott seems to be good at this type of thing.

Crawlin
04-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Brad/UnderPSI should know some stuff too. His dad has a number of rental properties.

fireguyrick
04-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Go to www.wi.gov

Click government

Click Statutes

Look up Chapter 704

Or just go HERE (http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/stats.html) and look up Chapter 704.

Rick

Flight_740
04-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Go to www.wi.gov

Click government

Click Statutes

Look up Chapter 704

Or just go HERE (http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/stats.html) and look up Chapter 704.

Rick

DirtyMax
04-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Thanks. This might help me see if we have any recourse. The basement of the house we're renting floods with 20+ gallons of water (I know this because it usually takes 4 of my 5 gal shop vacs to suck it up) every time it rains. I told the landlord like 3 times but it doesn't compute within the 5 brain cells and nothing has been done about it.

Anyone know off hand if I can get the heck out of this place based on this?. These laws don't get into this specifically from what I can tell. We're ready to buy a house now but this lease doesn't term until the end of Sept.

Didn't mean to jack your thread but it seems you're done with it! :thumbsup

fireguyrick
04-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Thanks. This might help me see if we have any recourse. The basement of the house we're renting floods with 20+ gallons of water (I know this because it usually takes 4 of my 5 gal shop vacs to suck it up) every time it rains. I told the landlord like 3 times but it doesn't compute within the 5 brain cells and nothing has been done about it.

Anyone know off hand if I can get the heck out of this place based on this?. These laws don't get into this specifically from what I can tell. We're ready to buy a house now but this lease doesn't term until the end of Sept.

Didn't mean to jack your thread but it seems you're done with it! :thumbsup

Has this happened to the previous tenants? Was it disclosed to you prior to signing the lease agreement? If the landlord knew of this, and did not disclose it to you it could be means to get out and/or money back.

Rick

DirtyMax
04-07-2006, 02:22 PM
We were never told about it nor was it wet when we toured it. It was a dry summer last year so it seemed real nice and dry down there. Nothing given to us in writing either and there's no provisions in our written lease either.

This is so aggravating. :fire The only good thing is we had 3 options: Buy, Rent to Own, or Lease with a purchase option. I'm just glad we chose door #3!

Flight_740
04-07-2006, 02:34 PM
The only good thing is we had 3 options: Buy, Rent to Own, or Lease with a purchase option. I'm just glad we chose door #3!

Always wise to have a home inspection done before purchase. My step father does this if anybody needs a hook up. :thumbsup

DirtyMax
04-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Always wise to have a home inspection done before purchase.

Yeah, I've purchased homes before and home inspections are well worth their weight in gold. Because of them, my ex has a very sound home! :rolf :flipoff2:

Flight_740
04-07-2006, 03:08 PM
:rolf :rolf :rolf

SpdRcrZ
04-11-2006, 03:45 AM
Always wise to have a home inspection done before purchase. My step father does this if anybody needs a hook up. :thumbsup

Damn.... months to late...... :( at least there arent 'too' many problems with our home..... we lost out paying for 2 other home inspections on houses that our bid was rejected (or they wouldnt fix the problems)..... so couldnt afford one when we found this place.

DirtyMax
04-11-2006, 08:09 AM
Usually you schedule the home inspection after the offer is accepted.

SpdRcrZ
04-11-2006, 11:54 AM
thats kinda how it went....... made offer, pending inspection....... they would accept, we'd have the inspection done..... and AFTER finding out what needed to be repaired (one house needed new roof, another needed basement repairs) the sellers would refuse to repair (one that needed new roof was owned by a blind guy who swore nothing was wrong with it) or compinsate the repairs on the price.

This place was new on the market (less then a week) and already had 2 interested parties when we looked at it. We where the first to get an offer in, but only by a few hours. We waved the inspection with the hopes they would accept our offer over the others, which they did. Over all, we are very happy with the house, but being built in 1906, it has a couple issues needing to be addressed, but nothing to bad.

DirtyMax
04-11-2006, 12:04 PM
Ah, gotcha. Well $250 on an inspection is alot better than the thousands you could have been out.

jbiscuit
04-11-2006, 12:08 PM
1906!!!??? Good lord! My house was built in 1950, I can't imagine having a house any older than that!

DirtyMax
04-11-2006, 12:17 PM
My first one was built in 1928. Solid as heck too. In my opinion, the older homes actually had character compared to todays "McHouses". Granted you need to typically update the plumbing, electrical, and the like, but at least it isn't like today's subdivisions where you have to abide by all these rules and you end up having 7 other ones just like yours in the subdivision.

SpdRcrZ
04-11-2006, 12:27 PM
ue, but after loosing $500 on the last two, we just didnt have the money...... but we do understand how much we lucked out.

The house is pretty solid, and in a good neighborhood.

Yellow Wagon...... are you from waukesha? ***Used to live*** in the apartments right off Oakdale?

jbiscuit
04-11-2006, 12:56 PM
yep, thats me....did you live in the place on the corner?? Always a couple Cavaliers over there by you?

SpdRcrZ
04-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Yep..... bought a house in West Allis now..... Thought that had to be you, not to many yellow rex wagons running around.

jbiscuit
04-11-2006, 01:23 PM
bought a house in West Allis now.....

so did I!

Flight_740
04-11-2006, 01:52 PM
You bought a house in tax hell?

jbiscuit
04-11-2006, 01:58 PM
yep...if you buy the right house, the taxes aren't too bad. I have the biggest lot on the block and my taxes are cheaper than my neighbor's... :lol

Flight_740
04-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Congrats, where about is it?

JohnnyT
04-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Don't lie J. 11th and Burliegh is NOT West Allis!

jbiscuit
04-11-2006, 02:25 PM
ha ha ha ha......actually I should clarify. My mom bought a new house and I live in one of the rooms there...its my house but like she just hangs around and like cleans up and does my laundry and stuff....or whatever. Yea.