PDA

View Full Version : New Puppy....

Crawlin
03-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Well, I did it. I got a new puppy. She is 13 weeks old. It will be a little difficult for the time being with where I'm living now not allowing dogs. I'm moving soon and that place does. So for now I'm won't be staying at the apartment all that much.

Her name is Niya(like Mission Impossible 2 name, haha). I got her from the Wisconsin Humane Society. They were very nice and very friendly. She is a Alaskan Husky/Siberian Husky mix. I think she's cool because she looks like a fox. She follows me around everywhere and sticks close to my side. There was another family playing with her when I went back today, and I just called out "Niya" and she came running to me, so it had to be a sign. Sorry, but a puppy is not exactly the easiet thing in the world to take pictures of.

Crawlin
03-30-2006, 07:56 PM
and one more...
so much for the car, hahaha

Pantera99GS
03-30-2006, 08:22 PM
Cute!! Hide your shoes if she's anything like mine. :lol:

CruxGNZ
03-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Cool! Almost looks like a dingo. Don't let it get near any babies.

BlownMe
03-30-2006, 10:30 PM
Congrats man! Im actually looking for a puppy myself. I'll probably be finding one in the next month or so. Have fun house breaking her!http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/images/smilies/pissl.gif

wikked
03-31-2006, 06:11 AM
glad you got a real dog instead of one of those gross long/curly hair ankle-biters :D

JohnnyT
03-31-2006, 07:44 AM
Nice Chris. You gonna teach her to ride shotgun at the street races? :rolf :thumbsup

Silver350
03-31-2006, 07:58 AM
Nice dog. I know how hard it is to photograph puppies. Its pretty much a hit and miss.

UnderPSI
03-31-2006, 09:33 AM
Cute dog, the girlfriend and I are looking at dogs right now. I have the perfect yard for one :) . We are still undecided what to get I want a Lab but she wants different. We will see in the next week or two what we come up with. But we will definitly adopt from the humaine soc. Good luck with your and call me.

Crawlin
03-31-2006, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I'm trying to see if Simpson can make me a doggie harnessfor the rollbar and aluminum seat. Atleast those pillows I had she likes, hahahaha. So she'll be my companion up at Oscar's I'm sure. I don't like it that I'm not with her right now.

She did a little of her business in the house last night, but I kept her in the bathroom with one of those baby gates and I was laying outside of that. So didn't wreck any carpet. She's learning pretty quick. Knows her name. Knows sit, come, lay, and knows to do #2 outside.

Was fun taking her on a morning walk. Atleast I know I'll be getting my exercise as well. She just walks along and doesn't cause trouble. Doesn't attack kids or anything either.

JohnnyT
03-31-2006, 12:46 PM
That's awesome Chris. Dogs are a lot of fun, I miss mine...

CruxGNZ
03-31-2006, 07:09 PM
Try to teach her with hand signals along with each verbal command you give her. When I had my German Shepherd, I taught her with hand signals along with verbal commands and after a while, I just needed to use hand signals to control her. It was pretty cool actually, people got a kick out of it. If you can, keep treats with you at all times. They have treats for dogs that are non greasy and really have no smell to them, so you can keep 'em in your pocket to help train her. Wow, I really miss my old dog...

Slow Joe
03-31-2006, 07:31 PM
Yeah my dog Gunner... Who's now my dad's dog since I don't live with them, was trained with verbal and hand signals... Sometimes people look at ya strange, but it's great becasue you keep the dogs attention if they're watching your hands...

Crawlin
03-31-2006, 07:45 PM
that's what we've been trying to do. we almost adopted a deaf dog, but the breed was restricted so no go on that one. good advice though, thanks.

Chris

wikked
03-31-2006, 07:49 PM
try to avoid this too:

:rolf

http://wikked.com/lex/dogdamage.jpg

Lash
03-31-2006, 09:27 PM
^^^^^

Gotta love puppy's. I knows ours what quite the treat for about the first year.

CruxGNZ
04-01-2006, 12:21 AM
You have to watch those little buggers! I still feel bad to this day, because my first German Shepherd, appropriately named Cash, was left in the kitchen for a couple hours while I had to go run some errands (places that I just couldn't take my dog), and she ate the only thing I didn't think she would eat... the aluminum blinds. She had so much damage inside of her, plus she had an inception (where the stomach starts to eat the intestines), it was just to much and she had to be put down. While I had my last German Shepherd, she went everywhere with me, I never let her out of my sight. It was cool, because I work in construction and everyday I could take her with me to job sites and she would have a blast. Very friendly, and was a great animal to have around.

slow85vette
04-01-2006, 07:14 AM
try to avoid this too:

http://wikked.com/lex/dogdamage.jpg

Been there and I got the post card. My dog, Katie went into a lower kitchen cupboard and dragged out 2 five pound bags of flour, brown sugar, noodles, kool aid, baking soda and everything else that was in the cupboard. The house was a huge mess and it was covered with everything that she dragged out. The house took 8 hours to clean because the mess was in the living, kitchen, dining room, in the carpet, on the chairs, on the couch....everywhere.

If there was a gun in the house, she would have been dead.

Lash
04-01-2006, 08:44 AM
Been there and I got the post card. My dog, Katie went into a lower kitchen cupboard and dragged out 2 five pound bags of flour, brown sugar, noodles, kool aid, baking soda and everything else that was in the cupboard. The house was a huge mess and it was covered with everything that she dragged out. The house took 8 hours to clean because the mess was in the living, kitchen, dining room, in the carpet, on the chairs, on the couch....everywhere.

If there was a gun in the house, she would have been dead.

No thats funny right there!!!!

I would love to see pictures of that.

slow85vette
04-01-2006, 07:58 PM
Its funny now but it sure wasn't then. And I never thought to take any pics of that mess.

Anakonda69
04-01-2006, 10:31 PM
things that come with getting a puppy include them eating ****....hard to avoid but when it happens just deal with it.....not that big a deal.....

stowsea
04-02-2006, 10:43 PM
cool dog reminds me of my brother's. He has a some sort of a mini german shepard. i guess its one of a kind. or the vet hasnt ever seen one.

Crawlin
04-03-2006, 10:18 AM
Well, first weekend update.

She was a little unhappy being in the bathroom with the baby gate the first couple nights. But she's pretty relaxed. We have a few issues with her that we are gonna go to the vet today for. She has an ambilical hernia from the spaying. The Humane society told us about that. She is still biting herself for fleas, but she had that vaccination as well as the stuff we got her and the flea collar, so don't know what it might be, and then she sneezes. ALOT! She gets hiccups too. Likes to eat grass but we are trying to keep her from that. She's still real timid. Last night we got her into the crate and she slept there for about 3 hours, then we let her out to go pee, then back in for 2 hours, then let her out to pee(no water in between), and then she wouldn't go back in, so she laid right outside the front door of it and has been asleep since that time(3am). She does like to sleep alot. We tired her out yesterday with running errands. Saturday was crazy with taking her to Pet World, she was OK witht he other dogs, just needs more socialization. But then on the 30 minute walk, we tried getting her to sprint full speed and she's pretty damn fast. The cool thin is we'll let the leash go, but she'd still stay in the yard, and would play around like she was coming to attack us, and then right at our feet would stop, sit, and then lay down without a word being said. So far so good. No chewing on anything, no getting into anything she isn't supposed to be. I think I may have lucked out(jinx)

BlownMe
04-03-2006, 03:37 PM
No chewing on anything, no getting into anything she isn't supposed to be. I think I may have lucked out(jinx)

Yep, you know you just fu*ked that up by saying that. Never discuss where you may have lucked out. I did the same thing with my lil girl saying how good she was. Now she bounces off the friggen walls!!!

97z2801ss
04-04-2006, 02:31 AM
congrats man very cute dog

Crawlin
04-04-2006, 08:30 AM
Thanks everyone...

The hernia is not because of the spaying. Vet said he never heard of that before. Said it looks to have been surgically worked on and looks find. Should be better soon. No fleas either, just said that puppies like to bite themselves a little bit. That whole "younger exploring" thing. She is perfectly healthy. I was with her all night last night and she was perfectly fine in her crate. Didn't wake up once. Right away in the morning I woke up she was ready to go. Definitely interesting trying to establish a pattern.

wikked
04-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Dogs eat grass when they're sick so they'll throw up.
Ours likes to eat it alot unfortunately :| Don't think she's sick all the time either, she was abandoned, so it was probably her only food til whenever she was found. Old habits I guess.

JohnnyT
04-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Some dogs just like grass. One of my Goldens was like a cow when he would go outside. He'd walk around the yard grazing for as long as you would let him. Never threw up once from it either.

Crawlin
04-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Yeah supposedly it's partly because of how "sweet" grass can taste to them.

slow85vette
04-04-2006, 09:45 PM
You could muzzule the dog while she's outside so she doesn't eat grass.