PDA

View Full Version : Newer Taurus?

Cjburn
03-22-2006, 05:53 PM
Any Ford techs out there? How is the 3.0 V6 and the newer Taurus in general? Are they notorious for any problems? Anything in particular I should look for problem wise? I really like my Toyota/Honda's and all, but in all honesty you get much more car (price wise) with an American sedan. The only thing I'm a little hesitant about is that I know NOTHING about their motors/reliability. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a newer SEL since you can get an 05/06 really cheap loaded. For around 10K you can get yourself into quite a bit of car with some warranty left and give me the option of driving my couch to work and back. I'm just sick of driving a 15 year old rattling rust bucket and with about 250 or so a month for 40 months I think it's a good deal. Another big plus is never having a cop look at me EVER since I'm driving a moms car...

Slow Joe
03-22-2006, 06:05 PM
I'm not sure about newer Tauruses, but I know the older ones are notorious for transmission problems... Other than that... I've always thought that they were decent cars...

Car Guy
03-22-2006, 06:18 PM
Any Ford techs out there? How is the 3.0 V6 and the newer Taurus in general? Are they notorious for any problems? Anything in particular I should look for problem wise? I really like my Toyota/Honda's and all, but in all honesty you get much more car (price wise) with an American sedan. The only thing I'm a little hesitant about is that I know NOTHING about their motors/reliability. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a newer SEL since you can get an 05/06 really cheap loaded. For around 10K you can get yourself into quite a bit of car with some warranty left and give me the option of driving my couch to work and back. I'm just sick of driving a 15 year old rattling rust bucket and with about 250 or so a month for 40 months I think it's a good deal. Another big plus is never having a cop look at me EVER since I'm driving a moms car...

Both the 3.0L's, whether it's the Pushrod(Vulcan) or DOHC 24v(Duratec) hold up excellent. The trannies have been improved vastly(historically Taurus' major downfall) but you still must keep up on maintenece if you want them to last, which should be done on any trans. but especailly Fords. Other than that just your typical maintence/upkeep, overall a really good bang for the buck.......

84hurst
03-22-2006, 06:27 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is that alot of new model (05/06) Tauruses that are out there are often times retired rental cars, so make sure to find out the history behind them first. I think everybody knows that rentals aren't exactly treated like a show car!

Car Guy
03-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is that alot of new model (05/06) Tauruses that are out there are often times retired rental cars, so make sure to find out the history behind them first. I think everybody knows that rentals aren't exactly treated like a show car!

Good Point, and I would know having worked at a rental company as a 'gentle' driver......

Slow Joe
03-22-2006, 07:09 PM
All '06 Tauruses are Fleet Use of one form or another... Mostly rental companies... They aren't being sold retail (from my understanding)