PDA

View Full Version : Crap turbo kits?

Al
03-22-2006, 02:18 AM
I was looking around ebay and found quite a few turbo kits for integras on there. Just looking at the photos provided, I can't tell if they are junk or missing components.

Click the links and tell me what you think...
Kit (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/B-Series-TURBO-KIT-Bolt-On-Acura-Integra-Honda-Civic_W0QQitemZ8049789443QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem)
General search (http://motors.search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=so&sbrftog=1&from=R10&mppfqy=Integra+B&catref=C6&satitle=Integra+B&sacat=33739%26catref%3DC6&fmmk=&fmmd=&fylo=&fyhi=&mppfQy=Integra+B&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&fspt=1&sadis=750&fpos=53012&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&so=Show+Items&fsop=3&fsoo=2)

BTW- what are those springs for?

ThatWhiteCivic
03-22-2006, 02:36 AM
Everything seems there, just missing the oil feed and oil return lines. As for if they are junk? I would use a different turbo, and wastegate. The springs are for the wastegate.

jbiscuit
03-22-2006, 07:43 AM
you get what you pay for.

twicks69
03-22-2006, 04:42 PM
crap, crap and more crap.

You would be better off using a hacked 2G manifold with a modified flange, and a 14B turbo, internally gated.

I would reccomend NOT going with an EBAY kit. Especially a XS power or MasterPower crap turbo. Let alone the manifolds that will crack by just looking at them wrong.

Teufelhunden
03-22-2006, 04:50 PM
^^^ times a bazillion

sloLs1
03-22-2006, 05:45 PM
^^^^ agreed... and also those "hand made" tig welded manifolds usally crack!!!

Flicktitty
03-22-2006, 05:51 PM
crap, crap and more crap.

You would be better off using a hacked 2G manifold with a modified flange, and a 14B turbo, internally gated.

I would reccomend NOT going with an EBAY kit. Especially a XS power or MasterPower crap turbo. Let alone the manifolds that will crack by just looking at them wrong.
XS Power is that the same as SS Autochrome? cause isn't there turbo's junk too.

DSMDuDE
03-22-2006, 06:03 PM
Masterpower and XSpower masterpower knock offs are 2 totally different things Tim,

True Masterpower turbos are nice.. they are coming out with a GT42R BB version that is way cheaper in price.. Yusuf Begic with his EVO II has been runing a Masterpower T70 (i beleive thats which trim turbo) for years..

Masterpower is ISO9001 certified, They are BIg sellers in Oversea coutries because they are produced over there.. and now they have a main office in florida also, Also have to pass Internation Quality Control Regulations, Garret had them building their internals because they were soo much cheaper to have it done overseas, but since all the terrorist ****.. it has gotten really exspensive for this kind of shipment

I have talked to yusef alot about Masterpower.. he swears by them, any other info you would like on them i can gladly get it for you

But the **** you see on Ebay, under SSAutochrome and XS Power "masterturbo" is ****, they are even cheaper knock offs, and thats what you see fail all the time

here is their webpage: http://www.masterpower.com.br/eng_frameset.htm

With the first sentence stating this: Welcome to Master Power Turbo web page. A one hundred percent Brazilian company, certificated by ISO 9001.

Here is also their ISO certificate: http://www.masterpower.com.br/media/certificado_qualidade_big.jpg

twicks69
03-22-2006, 08:46 PM
Don't worry, I will just stick with the basics for turbos.

Good for Yusef -- I know that he runs a masterpower T70, along with everyone else that follows these message boards and dsmtimes.org.

Yes, he has been successful using that turbo, and I wish him the best of luck, but I am a little more for quality, and have no problem paying a little extra for that quality along with good customer service.

Heck, I have blown my PTE turbos a few times now, but they replace them for FREE, with little questions asked. The only thing I have ever paid for was for upgrading my compressor cover from a T04E to a T04S with anti-surge porting. That is a good warranty worth paying for, and their customer service is top notch. Brian, Patrick, Sam, Don, and Joe have all helped me meet my goals.

Price and quality also are key things in going fast. It will cost you to go fast, and it will likely cost you more to go faster, longer.

Don't skimp on the manifold or the turbo. They are key elements where you will just end up realizing that you just wasted your money on the EBAY crap, when you would have been able to have used that $$$ and bought a decent turbo and manifold for your setup.

I'll still have a Mitsubishi, PTE, garrett, ITS or Turbonetics anyday.
*Personally, PTE or Garrett.

DSMDuDE
03-22-2006, 09:00 PM
Yes i will agree that PTE sell GREAT turbos and excellent customer service!

was just stating that as much as other companies use other peoples names to bring a company down is horrible.. modifying them with their stuff and breaking then people blamming it on Masterpower because thats the box it came in on arrivial of shipment, not seeing it was opening up and turbo torn apart, junk inserted and thrown back in the box(XS power and SSAuto Chrome)

But yes.. i havnt decided which turbo i am going to go with when i do upgrade, but i can get great deals on PTE turbo's, so my choice will proably be with them

JakeJeske
03-22-2006, 10:22 PM
this is all you need to know about ebay turbos, and ss autochrome...
http://www.turbinetech.ca/photo/broken.jpg

Al
03-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Thanks.

Recently, I have been talking with people about going turbo. I was browsing the web looking for turbo info and found a bunch of stuff. I saw a few cast manifolds on ebay and then those low dollar kits. I figured that some of the parts were good, but which ones, I did not know. I'd rather do forward and gather parts on my own than to spend 3.5k on a big name brand. I'm not too power hungry, so I would go with something that would work with my stock engine and aim for no more than 200hp.

I've seen some parts go for low prices on ebay, especially for any B-engine from honda. For non-moving parts, I'd buy them off the internet, because there is not that much that can go wrong with them. As for a turbo, I think I'd rather get it from someone local so I know who to go to if I get crap. For piping, I don't need chromed sets for 500+ dollars.

I'm going to keep on looking for more info.

Bee
03-23-2006, 08:43 PM
DUDE stay away from xspower/ssautochrome... i've used them before, but with proper braces they actually hold up decently. used one for 9months with modified braces..not the orginal ones it comes with... ran 12.1@117mph@14psi with a LS/Vtec stock block. but used good sh1t like GARRETT turbo, Beeyond TIG welded SS turbo pipes, etc etc... cost of modying the ssauto turbo manifolds with new braces will cost you the same as buying a GOOD manifold so just buy a good built one....

I DO NOT reccomend those turbo kits.. NO NO NO!!!

what's funny is when people see our $2850 turbo kit w/ install they go bonkers since they see EBAY turbo kit for only $600-$850... hehe!!! if you decide to get turbo parts from ebay the intercoolers are good and fittings only.. nothing else.... turbo piping don't even fit...LMAO.. although they say it does... :rolf

MASTERPOWER = good turbos... they are actually one of the best turbos. too many people try to use their name that's all.. but real MP turbos are just as good or better then GARRETT.... really we don't carry them due to rarity. rebuilding one is difficult and getting replacement part is ridiculous. We've used a T70 Masterpower NONball bearing... yielded 570whp@22psi on a 1.79L engine.

Al
03-23-2006, 11:15 PM
if you decide to get turbo parts from ebay the intercoolers are good and fittings only.. nothing else.... turbo piping don't even fit...

Really. I would expect something like that to be of a standard size. Do you mean that it is just a improper tube size or do they lack the bulged ends for proper hose fitting?

Another question: what is this I hear about people using the stock ecu on acura integras? They say the computer can understand boost and manage fuel properly, it only makes the check engine light go on.

BTW- I ordered this book about turbocharging on Amazon. A friend of mine has it and it is PACKED full of technical info you can't find in magazines.
Corky Bell: Maximum Boost (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0837601606/qid=1143177538/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-3183201-2972628?s=books&v=glance&n=283155)

twicks69
03-24-2006, 06:10 AM
Corky Bell's book is a great resource, and he was definitely knowledgeable on the basics and details of turbocharger setups.

Keep on learning, then buy. It will most definitely be a better experience!

Bee
03-24-2006, 07:04 PM
Really. I would expect something like that to be of a standard size. Do you mean that it is just a improper tube size or do they lack the bulged ends for proper hose fitting?

Another question: what is this I hear about people using the stock ecu on acura integras? They say the computer can understand boost and manage fuel properly, it only makes the check engine light go on.

BTW- I ordered this book about turbocharging on Amazon. A friend of mine has it and it is PACKED full of technical info you can't find in magazines.
Corky Bell: Maximum Boost (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0837601606/qid=1143177538/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/103-3183201-2972628?s=books&v=glance&n=283155)

Ebay turbo pipping do not fit properly in your engine bay. You will have to cut and weld to make them properly fit, and sometimes buy new U-bends to re-angle some sections.... Might as well do it on your own or have a shop do it for you. In the end you'll spend more time and money. :thumbsup

hehehe who said stock integra ecu's can read boost.... if equipped with hondata/crome/uberdata then yes it can, but boost cannot exceed 11psi. stock stock ecu's don't have positive boost mapping. FMU and VAFC/SAFC are used to tune the extra fuel for the extra booooossttt............simple as that. rule of thumb for stock honda engines is to not exceed 10psi without a GOOD EMS... check engine light will flash more often since a turboed honda will usually run on the rich side and cause O2s to go bad quick. Not to mention drowning the plugs as well...not literally drowning, but the plugs will need more changing then normal... :D

ekstatixx
03-28-2006, 12:13 PM
i dont trust any turbo kit. i feel you are better off spending a lil more cash, buying it all seperate, getting the ic pipes made, and buying a nice mitsu turbo. right as of now, i have a way to get a S16G Td05H with a 8cm2 turbo for $475. it is an upgraded starion turbo, and it would kick butt on a integra/honda. even if you only pushed it to 5 psi.

i have mine pushing 15psi on my starion, and the turbo can easily push 20-25 and be efficient.

if you are looking for bigger power, i also know another place that takes a stock 12a starion turbo, and upgrades it to an 18g for $495. but i wouldnt recommend this turbo in any stock block na car. but it is an amazing turbo as long as you can deliver enough fuel for it!

remember too. us starquest guys have the 8cm2 exhaust housings. compared to the little 7cm2 dsm turbos
mitsu----garrett
7 cm2 = 0.49 A/R
8 cm2 = 0.57 A/R

also, us conquest starion guys have amazing stock fmic's too. so if you are lloking for a cheap front mount.......
just a couple ideas for you guys

Al
04-01-2006, 01:00 PM
I got the corky bell book in the mail. :banana

Nickerz
04-27-2006, 08:07 PM
this is all you need to know about ebay turbos, and ss autochrome...

Well, I can say I've never seen a turbo fail from the outside in. That'd be like your engine block failing apart before any internal problems (at least that's how I see it)... lol :goof

Al
04-27-2006, 09:35 PM
No more turbo acura.

Went Audi. Already Turbo. LOTS of room under the hood (for turbo stuff).

deciuss
04-28-2006, 10:07 AM
I got the corky bell book in the mail. :banana

ya the maximum boost book is really helpful, I wish I would have bought it sooner then I did, getting it half way threw my turbo project just did not cut it.

jbiscuit
04-28-2006, 10:10 AM
LOTS of room under the hood (for turbo stuff).

What are you planning on stuffing under there with all that room, 5" charge pipes and a GT42r?

Al
04-28-2006, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't go that far, I only have 1.8 liters. Spools-at-6k no way

The statement about the room is relative to the manifolds I want to weld together and stick in there.

I was looking at the GT28R and turbos similar in size. The catch is that they are only good for so much power. I want more. The 28 is good to spool at 3k like the stock turbo spools. I would not mind more lag than stock.

The weird thing about the 1.8t is that the intake valve does not open (1mm) till 18 deg after TDC. Shouldn't it open earlier?

Right now, my 1.8 is pulling about 0.054 hp/cu in. at 10 PSI, which is VERY modest for a turbo engine at this boost level according to Corky Bell on pg 12.

Something else I found out is that the intercooler is only about 70% efficient on VW vortex.

This all leaves lots of room for improvment.

jbiscuit
04-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Let me be the first to say it....kaboom.

Al
04-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Did you read my earlier post about pistons and rods?

Yes, this is a bit out there right now. I know that there are a few things I cna do in the near future such as the stronger clutch and flywheel (need to be done first), exhaust cutout (cheapest form of exhaust I know of other than a hacksaw), manifolds, and intake (you know, no more silencer box). I'll stick with the stock turbo and computer for now.

At school, we need someone to show us how to use the tig welder we have. It was picked up as part of a science grant for the school. My experience with them is very limited. A possible exchange would be to allow us to make some parts on the CNC or Lathe in exchange for that person's time.

I smell resentment because you are not the only one with a turbo wagon anymore!