PDA

View Full Version : alright you smartarses......

theavenger333
03-20-2006, 01:40 AM
to those who enjoy babbling on about how you can change the address of your vehicle IE where its kept....... AS I HAVE BEEN SAYING ALL ALONG.....

you need to be able to show proof that you own land and or property. i changed the address on my blazer and 3 days ago i got a DMV audit from the state of wisconsin, asking me to show "proof of residency or ownership in the county listed" worked out fine for me, because we own a house in the county where i registered it. sent in the info, all is good.

ALSO......
to those who like to put down purchase prices of ONE DOLLAR and such on DMV titles to not pay state sales tax, i got a notice yesterday from the state also asking why i sold my Neon for so cheap. "after reviewing our records, we believe that based on the year, make, model and mileage of your vehicle, your vehicle was sold for a significant amount below the suggested value." they want proof and want to know why i sold the car so cheap. in this case, i sent in a letter saying the car was sold as a shell, and i owed a debt to the present owner.

just an FYI to what i've been saying for awhile....

SlowStee
03-20-2006, 02:04 AM
to those who enjoy babbling on about how you can change the address of your vehicle IE where its kept....... AS I HAVE BEEN SAYING ALL ALONG.....

you need to be able to show proof that you own land and or property.
hmmm..registered end of last year, no problems yet...

I guess Im lying :confused

Slow Joe
03-20-2006, 02:11 AM
Yeah, I got one on the Eclipse, and my friend got one on the Neon... I put down $100 for the Eclipse and he put down $1.50 for the Neon... Neither one of us got anything back after that though... But I still had to fill out their BS paperwork which pissed me off...

EDIT: Oh yeah, I said the Eclipse had a blown trans and he said the Neon was in an accident... Both were true statements... :thumbsup

T-Bag
03-20-2006, 07:25 AM
they just dont like you

Yooformula
03-20-2006, 08:39 AM
I have heard about these letters also. A guy that bought a car from me called me to ask how much i put down on the title transfer so that he didnt tell them something different. I told them the car didnt run but I always list a sale/purchase price of 250-500 just to be safe.

JohnnyT
03-20-2006, 08:43 AM
The letters and calls for value have been going on for a while now. The proof of residency is new, but looks like they have been going down this path for a while. I had a friend that tried the "kept in county of..." thing in summer and the DMV still sent him an emissions notice.

EvolvedRegal
03-20-2006, 08:51 AM
You know that kinda funny. When I had my GP a few years back I got one of those letters in the mail also. I had to send a copy of the yellow slip of sale for the car from the dealership.

Now on the other hand when my 300z was sold I put down the regular sale price of the car and sometime from I wrote it down to the time the guy went to the DMV he changed the sale price. I actually got a call from madison asking me about this. A warrent was sent out for this guy and I think his fines were in the $600 area plus the difference of the sales tax, so everything came out to over 1k. During court the DA was asking me the regular routine questions and said they wanted to get him on forging a govt document.

Now coming from a family of police officers I know the right and wrongs of doing things and forging a document? I mean come on, how cheap are some people?

Moparjim
03-20-2006, 09:26 AM
Both of those work fine, still work fine, always have worked fine.

Sure, you get the letters and questions about it but if your able to answer them adequately you should have no problems.

I currently have 9 vehicles "customarily kept" in Walworth County, and have never had to produce proof of my barn rental out there. I have had the DMV "accidentally" list them as Milwaukee County when registering, but a trip to the DMV and explaining that I keep most of my cars in storage in Walworth for the better part of the year has always gotten it corrected.

Same with the taxes - the seller almost ALWAYS gets a letter - best thing to do there is just toss it - your not required to respond and essentially rat out the buyer, nor is there any proof you even ever recieved said letter. As a buyer you have to respond, but a simple written explanation of the condition of the car being damaged, not running, modfied, etc has always worked no further questions asked.

Yooformula
03-20-2006, 09:31 AM
Same with the taxes - the seller almost ALWAYS gets a letter - best thing to do there is just toss it - your not required to respond and essentially rat out the buyer, nor is there any proof you even ever recieved said letter. As a buyer you have to respond, but a simple written explanation of the condition of the car being damaged, not running, modfied, etc has always worked no further questions asked.

Good tip. thanks!

wikked
03-20-2006, 09:36 AM
... nor is there any proof you even ever recieved said letter.

heh I tried that in court once...

me: but..but... I never got the notice.
them: but we have proof it was sent out.
me: ... <fück> :(

Might work on the much lazier/6months behind DMV though.

Berettaspeed
03-20-2006, 09:41 AM
damn.. hope they don't mess with me LOL

but my dad has land just west of black river falls.. hehe maybe i should put it there.. ill have to ask him

i never got any letters i put 2 cars for 1 dollar?? i got one for 150 bucks and the other for 20 bucks though....i sold a car for 500 and my friend put 1 dollar. i never got a call back.

then again maybe they go through random and see F-bodies, mustangs or dsm or somthing and they are like ok whats going on... hehe they see a beretta and they go who cares.. :headbang

Firefighter Z
03-20-2006, 10:59 AM
I changed the the "where is the car kept" part last year when I got new tags and no questions asked or anything.

MoreTorque
03-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Never had a problem for the 3 years I had my Z28 "kept in" a different county.

Oh well... diesels don't go through emissions in WI anyway :)

JohnnyT
03-20-2006, 12:24 PM
Yes, I agree with both of you. It has been OK to change it, but it seems that the DMV is finally getting smart to the 'ol trick... Maybe since there are SO many of us that are doing it, someone finally saw a trend... :rolleyes:

theavenger333
03-20-2006, 12:40 PM
Yes, I agree with both of you. It has been OK to change it, but it seems that the DMV is finally getting smart to the 'ol trick... Maybe since there are SO many of us that are doing it, someone finally saw a trend... :rolleyes:
exactly my point, i don't care how many of you have done it and still do it, i will continue to do both things, i'm just warning you that this happened.... like i said, i have my truck registered in Sawyer county, where we own a house, so i have a legit claim of it being there.... as for the title thing, i didn't do the dollar, i usually put down like 100-500.

number1
03-20-2006, 12:46 PM
I gave my car to a friend and the DMV lady put down $0 for the cost. I asked her about it, she said that was ok. Never got any info, or any letters. Been over a year.

TooManyNeons
03-20-2006, 01:25 PM
The letters and calls for value have been going on for a while now. The proof of residency is new, but looks like they have been going down this path for a while. I had a friend that tried the "kept in county of..." thing in summer and the DMV still sent him an emissions notice.

Your friend got an emissions notice because the person at the DMV forgot to put that in the registration. Same thing happened to me while I was at the DMV, guy said "you'll get a emissions notice in the mail." I said, look at the form, I put kept up north (county city). He said, "oh, I didn't see that."

Also, the state does random auditing on this. Just find a friend of friend of the family who has land up north. If you get a letter, give them that address.

Putting down $1 on the title is asking to be audited. I always put down at least $100, or just write "gift" in the price.

I have 3 of my 5 cars registered up north, no problems.

GTSLOW
03-20-2006, 02:08 PM

you need to be able to show proof that you own land and or property. i changed the address on my blazer and 3 days ago i got a DMV audit from the state of wisconsin, asking me to show "proof of residency or ownership in the county listed" worked out fine for me, because we own a house in the county where i registered it. sent in the info, all is good.

ALSO......
to those who like to put down purchase prices of ONE DOLLAR and such on DMV titles to not pay state sales tax, i got a notice yesterday from the state also asking why i sold my Neon for so cheap. "after reviewing our records, we believe that based on the year, make, model and mileage of your vehicle, your vehicle was sold for a significant amount below the suggested value." they want proof and want to know why i sold the car so cheap. in this case, i sent in a letter saying the car was sold as a shell, and i owed a debt to the present owner.

I registered mine just this month to a different address. All she did was gave me a blue card to stick on the back of my license for my address change. :loser

Yooformula
03-20-2006, 03:18 PM
I hope they send you a letter! He is simply stating that may check, it may not be at the time you register but it CAN happen. The post was for the people that said it cant happen its too easy, blah blah blah. :chair: :durr ;) :goof

95 TA - The Beast
03-20-2006, 03:38 PM
I registered mine just this month to a different address. All she did was gave me a blue card to stick on the back of my license for my address change. :loser

Get a clue, he wasn't talking about his address being in a different place, just the 'County kept in' being in a non-emissions area... :loser :chair:

That is why the lady at the DMV gave you a sticker, because you said you live in a different place... People like you that lie and think they are smartasses deserve to get caught... :flipoff2:

Irish
03-20-2006, 06:17 PM
Get a clue, he wasn't talking about his address being in a different place, just the 'County kept in' being in a non-emissions area... :loser :chair:

That is why the lady at the DMV gave you a sticker, because you said you live in a different place... People like you that lie and think they are smartasses deserve to get caught... :flipoff2:
Boo Hoo cry baby. :crying

Slow Joe
03-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Maybe he moved?? IDK that's the only reason I could see getting a blue sticker on the back of your license (I have one on mine...)... Changing the county kept in shouldn't give you a blue sticker...

On this topic the lady at the DMV asked me once (about 3 years ago) why it said it was kept in Eagle River... I just told her that we used it only during hunting season... Never heard anything after that...

BOSS LX
03-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Boo Hoo cry baby. :crying
:rolf

T-Bag
03-20-2006, 07:48 PM

Dude, you are really bitter. Are you still upset that Nan posted so many threads about his new car? Or is it how you got owned by everyone on the board for being a whiny *****? Wait, maybe it's both.

I used to think you were a pretty decent guy until you started fagging up this board worse than most of the trolls have.

d0nut
03-20-2006, 07:52 PM
In 96 I sold a Harley to a guy for 11k and he asked me if he could save a few $'s on the taxes by saying he paid less. Retardo decides to put $500 on the paperwork for a 3 year old bike. Nice move.... The state called me up and asked what the deal was. I was able to make up for the headache by telling the state he paid me 15k for it. Idiot....

ALSO......

Slow Joe
03-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Dude, you are really bitter. Are you still upset that Nan posted so many threads about his new car? Or is it how you got owned by everyone on the board for being a whiny *****? Wait, maybe it's both.

I used to think you were a pretty decent guy until you started fagging up this board worse than most of the trolls have.

See that's how I feel... I don't really know the guy, but he just seems to want to fight with everyone... As I've said before... Be a man and just suck it up and be friendly to people or just don't associate with them... Yeah it's alright to stand your ground, but being a jerk don't get you anywhere in life... Ok, so Nan posted 1,000,000 ****** posts about his car, he just invested (I'm not sure how much but I'll just throw out a number) $15,000 in it... I know that if I were him I'd be askin questions just as he has... It's not a cheap date, and it's prolly the most expensive vehicle he's ever purchased... So I mean come on dude... Just relax... Get a beer and a lil pu-tang and relax some brother... We're all here because we share a common bond... Not to rip the **** out of eachother... Yeah so we might disagree about something, but let it go... The past is in the past and it's best it stays there... /rant off...

95 TA - The Beast
03-20-2006, 08:19 PM
See that's how I feel... I don't really know the guy, but he just seems to want to fight with everyone... As I've said before... Be a man and just suck it up and be friendly to people or just don't associate with them... Yeah it's alright to stand your ground, but being a jerk don't get you anywhere in life... Ok, so Nan posted 1,000,000 ****** posts about his car, he just invested (I'm not sure how much but I'll just throw out a number) $15,000 in it... I know that if I were him I'd be askin questions just as he has... It's not a cheap date, and it's prolly the most expensive vehicle he's ever purchased... So I mean come on dude... Just relax... Get a beer and a lil pu-tang and relax some brother... We're all here because we share a common bond... Not to rip the **** out of eachother... Yeah so we might disagree about something, but let it go... The past is in the past and it's best it stays there... /rant off...

Actually, I only posted what I did because he called the originator of the post a loser with teh smilie without even understanding what was said... All I did was clarify that HE was being loser in this case... That is all...

Again, if he wasn't a smart-ass to begin with, I wouldn't have corrected him... And for the record Yooformula actually corrected him in regards to that as well... All I did was be blunt about it... :devil

Al
03-20-2006, 08:35 PM
In regards to registering a car outside of the emissions counties, does having a car registered in your home county (daily driver) help? That is, only register your second+ cars up north.

Slow Joe
03-20-2006, 10:29 PM
Actually, I only posted what I did because he called the originator of the post a loser with teh smilie without even understanding what was said... All I did was clarify that HE was being loser in this case... That is all...

Again, if he wasn't a smart-ass to begin with, I wouldn't have corrected him... And for the record Yooformula actually corrected him in regards to that as well... All I did was be blunt about it... :devil

Ah, yes... Point taken... I guess I just like to rant about things sometimes... Gives me something to do at work... :durr :rolf You are always blunt about things... I'll give ya that... :thumbsup

theavenger333
03-21-2006, 01:09 AM
blah blah blah blah
get out of my thread with this hogwash. as Yoosef said, THIS WAS A WARNING to everyone that asks. i don't give a flying bag of doodoo if you're mom registered her car in bumblefork wisconsin where your uncles bangs his sister and owns property. i was just pointing out, it CAN happen.