PDA

View Full Version : need help

shawn
03-14-2006, 05:29 PM
i got a 85 cutlass with a 307. i want to put a 350 in it but i need to know everything i need. i really want a 350 and i found a 350 for 200 bucks from a guy i work with but i need to know what will fit and what wont. also with all the wiring and all that. i know nothing of how to do this so alot of help is needed here. thanks guys. shawn

Rocket Power
03-14-2006, 05:55 PM
350 Olds?
Everything tranfers over, the blocks are the same externally. Easy as can be.
What heads does it have?
350 Chevy??? Can't be done :goof :rolf
350 buick I believe you use 231 mounts, try www.v8buick.com and their is a section for V8 powered regals
350 Pontiac, have to find a 301 powered car and steal stuff from it.

PB86MCSS
03-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Make sure to go over to www.oldspower.com what to do to swap in a Chevy 350 into your Cutlass :D ;).

Running the ECM with this 350? If so you'll want a wiring harness and ECM/Q-Jet from a 305 Monte g-body to make things easy. If not, I think just getting SBC motor mounts is all you really need and probably some adjustments for the fuel lines.

Rocket Power
03-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Make sure to go over to www.oldspower.com what to do to swap in a Chevy 350 into your Cutlass :D ;).

:rolf

Memphis
03-14-2006, 10:53 PM
What would you possibly need an ecm for?? Eliminate all that bs and run it old school. Starter, dist, alt, and sending units. What else do you really need? Done it many times before, gets rid of alot of excess wiring and crap thats totally useless anyway.

PB86MCSS
03-14-2006, 11:25 PM
I'll show ya how a 383 runs with the ECM and Q-Jet :D :3gears:

I agree it looks cleaner without, but theres quite a few folks running Q-Jets and ECM's that have their cars running very strong, hopefully some of the guys planning to do a swap keep that in mind instead of just tossing everything first.

Memphis
03-15-2006, 06:31 AM
I'm not saying it cant be done...I'm saying why? It doesnt gain you anything by doing it...

shawn
03-15-2006, 06:57 AM
thanks guys. i'll prolly do a olds 350. i dont know what heads are on it. do know how to tell either. i'll prolly go the way memphis is talkin. less wiring is less pains in the ass. thanks

PB86MCSS
03-15-2006, 09:32 AM
I'd say a couple advantages, however insignificant they might be, would be that you already have the carb so it saves money and when tuned they work quite well, plus it is kind of nice to have some sensors help monitor the engine. Not saying keeping all the emissions stuff is important but the rest has an upside, FWIW, YMMV :).

Rocket Power
03-15-2006, 05:42 PM
thanks guys. i'll prolly do a olds 350. i dont know what heads are on it. do know how to tell either. i'll prolly go the way memphis is talkin. less wiring is less pains in the ass. thanks
There is a large number or letter cast into the heads to the left of the number 1 spark plug. Letters are big block heads, numbers are small block heads. later small blocks have number/letter combos.
1,2,3 and 4 are 330 heads
5,6,7,7A, 8, 3A are 350 heads
10,2A are 260 heads
4A are 403 heads
5A,6A and 7A are 307 heads
**Note the size of the "A" on the 7A heads. If it's like half the size of the number it's a 350 head, if it's the same size it's a 307 head.

Big Block heads are A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,and J. J's being the worst of the bunch with poor flowing exhaust ports.

Assuming the heads are original you can nail down a year or year range for the engine. Also to double check engine size there is a number cast in the block between the intake and the waterpump facing up. On later blocks 1977 and up, the displacement is cast in the side of the block.

I have more but you've probably fallen asleep already... :goof :rolf

Rocket Power
03-15-2006, 05:51 PM
I am going to use the computer when I swap motors in the wagon. Mostly for mileage and lockup, and it's there anyway. :)

shawn
03-15-2006, 05:53 PM
thanks guys!! i'm all ears when it comes to this stuff. maybe on our next nice day i can go out and take a look. the car is all wrapped up right now so just gonna have to wait. thanks alot everyone.

Memphis
03-15-2006, 06:24 PM
I'm not knocking anyone for however they put em in. To each his own. :thumbsup The carb will work just as well without any electrical hooked up, so cost isn't an issue. The lockup for the trans can be run with a single wire to the trans...its a bit more involved, but I did it on the Monte with the 700R4. Basically works off throttle position and can be shut off with a touch of the brake pedal. Mileage difference is minimal if any between either setup. Like I said, I've done em both ways and I'm not knocking either one.

Emissions? Whats that? :rolf

Oh yeah, just picked up a 70 455 with E heads low original miles. Anyone got a body idea to drop that one into?? :D

Rocket Power
03-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Oh yeah, just picked up a 70 455 with E heads low original miles. Anyone got a body idea to drop that one into?? :D
Well I could trade you a nice 307 ...... :D

PB86MCSS
03-15-2006, 10:02 PM
True...there is a lockup kit for those ditching the wiring harness for whatever reason and wanting to keep an OD tranny...which I'd highly recommend :D. Not sure the cost or work to install it but IIRC there is something out there for just that purpose, unless its easy to hookup without buying anything specific.

Memphis
03-15-2006, 10:38 PM
Its not a kit, but if you have the knowledge and skill, I think it cost me under 20.00...including trans fluid!

Even trade for that 307 huh? Can I deliver it to you too?? :goof

Rocket Power
03-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Even trade for that 307 huh? Can I deliver it to you too?? :goof
Well it IS supposed to snow, so since we are such close buds, I'll throw in an extra 307 block for weight to increase your traction. Could you stop and pick up a pizza on the way too :goof :rolf

PB86MCSS
03-15-2006, 11:54 PM
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=lock+up+kit&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp

Theres a kit :D. But yea, probably something you can create yourself for less.

84hurst
03-16-2006, 11:41 AM
I am going to use the computer when I swap motors in the wagon. Mostly for mileage and lockup, and it's there anyway. :)

When I put my 350 olds into the Hurst, I only kept the computer for the lockup, thats it. I used an Edelbrock carb, so I couldn't use the computer to help me w/ mileage, but I don't care about mileage anyways! :thumbsup