PDA

View Full Version : Undercoating Questions

scubastang
03-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Well I want to have the underside of my 4Runner treated.

I have the typical amount of surface rust....nothing major yet but I want to stop it now. I was thinking of just sanding as much as I could down and using something like the 3M undercoating or maybe even por-15 (expensive though)

I also understand there are places that will steam clean the frame, remove any surface rust then spray it with an thick oil-like covering that will protect from rust for years and years which is better than the black undercoating which can actually trap the rust...

Either way, has anyone has this done professionally? Any tips/recommondations on where to go around here with costs?

:thumbsup

Car Guy
03-12-2006, 03:52 PM
I've heard the oil-like treatment working better than the traditional undercoating, becasue just like you said the hard coating can trap rust. Whatever you do just make sure it's done right, which might mean paying a little more but in the long run it'll be worth it. Otherwise why do it the first place, that's how I look at it......

awsomeears
03-12-2006, 06:13 PM
RUSTY JONES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/bradjancarik/7b3b8289.jpg

scubastang
03-12-2006, 09:41 PM
I've heard the oil-like treatment working better than the traditional undercoating, becasue just like you said the hard coating can trap rust. Whatever you do just make sure it's done right, which might mean paying a little more but in the long run it'll be worth it. Otherwise why do it the first place, that's how I look at it......

do you know of any places that do this around Milwaukee? Thanks :thumbsup

Car Guy
03-12-2006, 09:53 PM
There are many places in the area that will do it but I haven't really found a specific one that I would trust with something of mine. It's not that hard to do but it just takes time to do it the 'right' way, and most places are wham bam thank you maam'(no offense females). Sorry I can't help you out.....

LIL EVO
03-12-2006, 11:40 PM
Damn shame cars these days don't come with that stock, like japan built cars! :thumbsup

penji04
03-12-2006, 11:51 PM
Remember if you like to work on your own vehicle it can be a big problem when that coating is on to try and take bolts off. Nice job of protecting the vehicle in the long run, pay the extra money to have it done right and it should last you a long time. The 1996 and up toyota pickups/suv's seam to get a lot less rusty than the older trucks, hopefully your's is newer. Good luck!

scubastang
03-13-2006, 07:23 AM
Remember if you like to work on your own vehicle it can be a big problem when that coating is on to try and take bolts off. Nice job of protecting the vehicle in the long run, pay the extra money to have it done right and it should last you a long time. The 1996 and up toyota pickups/suv's seam to get a lot less rusty than the older trucks, hopefully your's is newer. Good luck!

lol its not about working on my own vehicle as that is a given...yeah its a 99 4Runner. The rust is not that bad but I am anal about keeping the underside nice. I thought about purchasing a kit from 3M that they make that you can spray on (oil like substance that dries hard black) but I dont want to sand for 6 hours under there.

I will try and find a place and let you guys know. Keep any suggestions coming thanks! :thumbsup