PDA

View Full Version : Who's a 'Quad 4' expert......???

Car Guy
03-11-2006, 07:08 PM
I will be picking up a 1995 Grand Am with the Quad 4 and like so many other Quad 4's it has issues. The oil looks like a chocolate shake from Culver's(hey that's sounds good right about now)......

My question is about the head, are they prone to cracking or is it just the gasket that goes bad.....?

Any info would be much appreciated......

Thanks

KellY
03-11-2006, 07:23 PM
they are prone to haveing head gasket issues...some people have even had problems with the heads warping too along with weak wrist pins in them.sounds like the head gasket it totally trashed.

juicedimpss
03-11-2006, 07:38 PM
they like to crack heads too.

ACRturbo
03-11-2006, 10:00 PM
if you replace the head gasket your more than likely going to have to have the head shimmed, most of them are warped when the gasket goes.

Berettaspeed
03-11-2006, 11:05 PM
the heads crack by the spark plugs and the do not like to lose coolant otherwise they will warp. there are a million different head castings and they all have issues. they can be a very good engine when its taken care of and LET IT WARM UP. even starting it up and going right away doing regular driving can cause head problems on these damn engines. they are fraile..LOL

and the headgaskets go alot... the all make ticking noise if they don't its a freak engine..don't be afraid of these engines, but if its somthing you don't want to get into stay away..but maybe you can get it for cheap knowing something is wrong with it

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/Berettaspeed/Quadmotivator.jpg

Lash
03-12-2006, 02:23 AM
I've had two and put about 120,000 miles between the two of them. Never had any big problems with them. Just changed the oil on time and routine maintainence. I beat the **** out of both of them. I rarely hear of head gasket problems with the quad 4's or the twin cams (96 +) anymore....and I frequent those forums pretty often still. The heads crack and warp oly because people dont know how to spot a blown headgasket so they keep driving them.

It's too bad Jake (killerquad4) dosen't visit this forum that often anymore because I'm sure he could give you plenty of info. He said to be able to tear down and rebuild the quad in a single night and have it ready for racing the next day...aint that right Jake? lol :D

Kory 88Iroc lt1
03-12-2006, 05:08 PM
If you end up needing a head, I have a H.o. big valve head in my garage left over from my gtz. It doesn't have valves or springs, but I would let it go cheap.
Kory

Berettaspeed
03-12-2006, 11:53 PM
If you end up needing a head, I have a H.o. big valve head in my garage left over from my gtz. It doesn't have valves or springs, but I would let it go cheap.
Kory

this the 034 head???

Kory 88Iroc lt1
03-13-2006, 03:12 PM
I believe so. I had a quad 4 h.o. in my gtz. I used the valves from this head in that motor. The ports also look the same as the head that was on the motor. You are welcome to take a look at it if you want.
Kory

Jake B. (Killer Quad)
03-13-2006, 11:24 PM
Basicly all of the 2.3 quads have head issues, an I have delt with many different castings an had probs with them all, could be the nitrous. But there really not a big deal to work on and the heads can be found cheap if you hunt around. Again once the oil is all milky you could run into more probs down the road witht he oil system depending how long the car was drivin with a bad head/head gasket. the 95 quads are a bit different cuz its kinda in the change over year when gm was developing the 2.4 twin cam and some things were in the 2.3 that were going into the 2.4 not a fan of many 2.3 motors after 91
any question feel free to drop me a line
jake@killerquad4.com

funny some one was at my work today and mentioned this post lol.

Car Guy
03-14-2006, 07:08 AM
Thanks for all of the info......