PDA

View Full Version : Shipping seats?

wikked
03-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Ok so I'm parting out a car, and this guy from NY wants the seats.
I read here & there that you can just drop them off at FedEx and they'll do all the work?
Anyone do this before that can guesstimate a price? Tips? Tricks?

Slow Joe
03-09-2006, 02:16 PM
UPS Store... That's where I'd go... Come to think of it I shipped my Wrangler Doors through them...

GTSLOW
03-09-2006, 02:45 PM
I bought a set of a seats from ebay before. Not sure where the shipped them from but it wasnt to bad. They came in two cardboard boxes taped together.

PB86MCSS
03-09-2006, 04:11 PM
I'd package them yourself. Easy to do and you'll save money unless the buyer doesn't mind paying....plus packaging them yourself you know its done right, kind of like working on your own car :).

I've shipped a set of front buckets via FedEx after I packaged them up. Just get the right size box(Wrap & Ship off National/HWY 100 has plenty of boxes at ok prices) and use lots of crumpled up newspaper and bubblewrap to protect them. HTH.

wikked
03-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Awesome, didn't know there was a box store like that.

One time I called Mailboxes Etc. and asked for a quote on a box that would hold my convertable boot.
They called back next day and said " $65 :stare

PB86MCSS
03-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Mail Boxes Etc. sucks balls(now the UPS Store)....only 2 times have I had someone package an item for me and it was them, the first time they charged like $40 for shipping/packaging a very thin spoiler, I said fine and had them do it....second time I had them package a dash pad for me since I didn't have the packing anyways, they did it with packing peanuts which is crappy protection for a large item and it got broken. They wouldn't reimburse the guy who bought it, etc....big mess. So I'll always deter people from doing business with them. I've always had good luck packing things up myself, worked at UPS in Oak Creek during 2 semesters of college and with buying so many parts, you get the hang of how to properly pack items :D.

I keep all the boxes I receive parts in(at my parents ;) ) because they usually get used down the line for shipping parts. One way to save money, or some grocery stores let you have some boxes if you ask nicely, at least they did when I worked at the Muskego Piggly Wiggly years ago :goof . Worst case buying boxes for the right size buckets might be $10 apeice, since they are kind of large. Bubble wrap isn't cheap either, another item to always keep when getting things shipped to you so you can re-use later.

Anyways, hope this helps.

Slow Joe
03-09-2006, 07:50 PM
With my Jeep doors the person buying them paid for shipping, packaging and handling... So it was all good...

HITMAN
03-10-2006, 04:24 AM
Tips? Tricks?

Fill the boxes with helium. They'll be lighter (and therefore cheaper to ship) that way. :thumbsup