PDA

View Full Version : So the T/A got tuned!

GTSLOW
03-04-2006, 10:37 PM
All I can say is WOW what a difference!!! :omg

I was spinning the tires thru 2nd gear getting onto the freeway which was quite interesting.

Hell I even think the exhaust sounds better :goof

BIG :thumbsup to Tom! :rockwoot: http://s-seriesforum.com/forum/images/smilies/bowdown.gif

Firefighter Z
03-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Hows that shifter working out for you Nan? Did you figure out which way it was supposed to go in :)

Tuning makes a whole world of diffrence.

BAD LS1
03-05-2006, 12:03 AM
Glad i can be of assistance, that stock y-pipe with cats and that blocked off area under the air box isa major restriction, getting a ORYP at the very min will help a ton.

Ur not hearing things, teh exhaust does get more rappy when kicking timing up.

GTSLOW
03-05-2006, 03:03 AM
LOL ya i got it in the right way josh. :rolf Dont understand why the make it so it goes in the with the name backwards?

Tom do they make a ORYP for stock manifolds? I know that stock flatend one is ROUGH!!

BAD LS1
03-05-2006, 01:24 PM
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog/?action=vshop&vid=3&pcid=228

Is the cheapest setup i found for stock manifolds, i have the nice stainless non flat SLP y pipe too yet that would fit these. Id let that got for 75$...

A B4C's car ran really good on stock manifolds with an off road y.

ProjectCamaro
03-05-2006, 02:32 PM
So a tune on even a car with that few mods makes a difference? Larry at Speed INC told me it wasn't worth getting the full tune because all I have is an intake, LT headers, and true dual chambered exhaust.

BAD LS1
03-05-2006, 04:41 PM
So a tune on even a car with that few mods makes a difference? Larry at Speed INC told me it wasn't worth getting the full tune because all I have is an intake, LT headers, and true dual chambered exhaust.

hahahha there are now about 3 guys out there that had virtually stock cars, with less mods than yours that had a noticeable gain....

With your support exhaust components the gain would be even larger, i could shut off the EGR codes etc as well if that hasnt been done.

ProjectCamaro
03-05-2006, 05:29 PM
hahahha there are now about 3 guys out there that had virtually stock cars, with less mods than yours that had a noticeable gain....

With your support exhaust components the gain would be even larger, i could shut off the EGR codes etc as well if that hasnt been done.

What do you charge for a tune?

BAD LS1
03-05-2006, 06:21 PM
What do you charge for a tune?

100 bucks to give it a good go over.

i do charge more to tune for a cam, cuz its somewhat of a time consuming thing to make it just right and run and drive like it did with the stock cam, and get max performance out of it.

If i put a cam in a car, the tune is part of the price.

FYI, if anyone over on the project site would be intrested maybe let them know too if you would, i dont want to solicite too much everywhere.

ProjectCamaro
03-05-2006, 07:13 PM
That's awesome, as soon as it warms up I'll contact you.

FYI, if anyone over on the project site would be intrested maybe let them know too if you would, i dont want to solicite too much everywhere.

Do I hear free tune in exchange for advertising :shades FYI most of the member's are from the northern IL area.

BAD LS1
03-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Do I hear free tune in exchange for advertising :shades FYI most of the member's are from the northern IL area.

I think we can work something out... barter system works for me. :thumbsup

Poncho
03-05-2006, 08:39 PM
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1133500#post1133500

free advertising for tommy.

Poncho
03-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Nan, I assume you're tossing on some longtubes and ORP on your ta?

Steadyasshegoes
03-05-2006, 08:42 PM
I live just north of Milwaukee and was wondering if anyone knows of any tuners in the area that could do my '04 GTO? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Poncho
03-05-2006, 08:47 PM
well if you ask Tom might buy the lic. for '04's and '05s.

Sparkyballs
03-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Tom what do you mean by "tuning" reprogram computer and things like that. Cuz i will probally be interested this spring when i get it out of storage

subliminal1284
03-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Can you tune a TPI car?

Poncho
03-05-2006, 09:36 PM
TPI cars, have no tuning, as they are from the PROM days, and what you could do was rudimentary, but then again, the GMPP crate motors that are EFI were running a TPI like system that was tuneable...

Poncho
03-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Tom what do you mean by "tuning" reprogram computer and things like that. Cuz i will probally be interested this spring when i get it out of storage

stock the cars have horrid torque management, autos have crappy shift points, etc.

redline is a little conservative, fan on/off temps should be adjusted, timing and fuel tables are way conservative. he can also kill off CAGS, which annoys the **** outta everyone, me included.

be glad you have a LS1, the LS2 goats have such a crappy stock tune, that people are commonly picking up 20 horses easily from a tune.

ProjectCamaro
03-05-2006, 10:04 PM
I think we can work something out... barter system works for me. :thumbsup

Well then make yourself and banner and we'll get started. :thumbsup

BAD LS1
03-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Wow the intrest in this went off the scale all of a sudden! lol

(all of these below are worth 6 credits a pop, which is $300 alone for each of these listed lines)

Example, for 300 i can add 04 GTO's.

98-02 Firebird/Camaro 5.7
98-04 Chevy Corvette 5.7
03-04 Chevy SSR 5.3
04 Pontiac GTO 5.7
04-05 Cadillac CTS-V 5.7
99-05 Holden Commodore 5.7 (including Adventra)
01-05 Holden Monaro 5.7
06 Holden Sedan 5.7 (4 Door Sedan)
06 Holden Non-Sedan 5.7 (Ute, Crewman, Adventra, Wagon, Coupe)

All the Gen IV LS2 stuff is 12 credits, and 600 bucks for the unlimited tune...

So if a bunch of you LS2 guys wanna pool together we can work something out.

Poncho
03-05-2006, 11:24 PM
04 GTO should also translate into 04 Monaro and Lumina, but I doubt you'll be heading to Kuwait, the UK or OZ anytime soon.

BAD LS1
03-05-2006, 11:26 PM
stock the cars have horrid torque management, autos have crappy shift points, etc.

redline is a little conservative, fan on/off temps should be adjusted, timing and fuel tables are way conservative. he can also kill off CAGS, which annoys the **** outta everyone, me included.

be glad you have a LS1, the LS2 goats have such a crappy stock tune, that people are commonly picking up 20 horses easily from a tune.

Thank you, that does about sum it up, plus after a cam it is needed to make the car run and drive like stock too.

junk mx6 no rly
03-05-2006, 11:28 PM
TPI cars, have no tuning, as they are from the PROM days, and what you could do was rudimentary, but then again, the GMPP crate motors that are EFI were running a TPI like system that was tuneable...

guess you never heard of thirdgen.org u can fiddlwe with tpi chips even tbi ones so dont say you cant if you dont know. :punch:

Poncho
03-05-2006, 11:46 PM
guess you never heard of thirdgen.org u can fiddlwe with tpi chips even tbi ones so dont say you cant if you dont know. :punch:

had a 2 thirdgens, when I was active there was no real "tuner", just people ******* around with code. what I once knew is incorrect. I appreciate you correcting me. What I originally meant was that there was no real nice and easy tuner for them like HPTuners, but if there is, I stand corrected.

Cleveland Dave
03-06-2006, 12:15 AM
just curious how this compares to tuning on a dyno at like speed inc. or something?

Poncho
03-06-2006, 12:21 AM
from scouring the tuning section at the GTO forums, it's likely gonna do 95% of the job. after all Tom can't fine tune to get every last bit of HP outta it, but by going off the outputs of sensors via the scantool portion, and logging, he can get you there. same thing as a dynotune, IMO, better in some ways, cuz you're not strapped to a dyno you're putting it thru the real world when tuning it on the street.

SlowStee
03-06-2006, 12:50 AM
Street tuning > Dyno-tuning

GTSLOW
03-06-2006, 06:57 AM
So Dan when we gonna line em up?! Hopefully it clears up this weekend!!!! :thumbsup

GTSLOW
03-06-2006, 07:00 AM
just curious how this compares to tuning on a dyno at like speed inc. or something?

For 100 bucks you CAN'T compare!!!

subliminal1284
03-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Yeah that doesnt sound right to me either, I know of alot of people who have to get their 3rd gen re tuned for mods such as holley stealth ram etc. You may not be able to just plug a programmer into them but they can be tuned somehow cause I know people who have done it.

BAD LS1
03-06-2006, 01:18 PM
There are a couple guys that have chip emulators for older OBD I vehicles on the board. Syclone0044 and Ponykiller87, and maybe Scales?

GTSLOW
03-06-2006, 06:18 PM
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog/?action=vshop&vid=3&pcid=228

Is the cheapest setup i found for stock manifolds, i have the nice stainless non flat SLP y pipe too yet that would fit these. Id let that got for 75$...

A B4C's car ran really good on stock manifolds with an off road y.

So I need those goofy cat deletes and and your slp ypipe? Would that make a big difference? I fear my loudmouth may be to loud then. Although I could always get adaptors for the 3" spintech I have.

A B4C Z
03-06-2006, 06:30 PM
You know a few more 100.00 will get you a set of headers :)

Yooformula
03-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Hell yeah! I got my Pacesetter LT for cheap with 0 fitment issues and they still have the coating I put on them. Best bang mod I have done, I wish i had skipped the Macs and went straight to the LTs. Luckily I sold the Macs and was able to offset a good chunk of the LTs' price.

y2kws6
03-06-2006, 08:11 PM
So I need those goofy cat deletes and and your slp ypipe? Would that make a big difference? I fear my loudmouth may be to loud then. Although I could always get adaptors for the 3" spintech I have.

Nan If I look around I might have two offroad pipes laying around you can have (Cat Replacements - Just a stright pipe that is flanged). They were set up for my SLP LT Headers. Somehow I got two sets.

Tom I really might be taking you up on that $100 tuning and can you do it with it bein so cold out? I already had some things done by speed inc. but I know I might need a air/fuil tune and I added a 160 degree t-stat since then.

Dan

Brian98GTP
03-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Tom....
...just save yourself the headaches and just buy the whole HPtuners package for all V8 Gen III Cars & Trucks + V6 Cars: (1 & 2 & 3 Bar Included for free) for the $6200!!.... :goof

I hear sperm donors get paid pretty well.... :rolf

:banana1:

Josepy
03-06-2006, 08:24 PM
I was just out with Tom in my 02 WS6. He did a tune on my car. Wow :wooo what a difference. I could not be any happier. Alls I have on my car is a SLP Cat back and Slp lid and filter. Tom is going to put in my Pacesetter long tubes when I get them.

GTSLOW
03-06-2006, 08:28 PM
Ya I think I will just save up for a set of LT's. Theres a guy selling a true dual setup that goes OVER the axle. I beleive the LT's are Coated Kooks and I forget what the mufflers were. Setup looks really clean guy wants 750+ shipping. Any idea if its worth it?

Cleveland Dave
03-06-2006, 08:39 PM
sounds like a decent deal

Brian98GTP
03-06-2006, 09:37 PM
Ya I think I will just save up for a set of LT's. Theres a guy selling a true dual setup that goes OVER the axle. I beleive the LT's are Coated Kooks and I forget what the mufflers were. Setup looks really clean guy wants 750+ shipping. Any idea if its worth it?

I have a set of TSP True Duals for sale if youre interested.... theyre dumped before the axle though.... Sounds unbelievably AWESOME!!

... a tad loud....

...But AWESOME!!! :banana

Yooformula
03-06-2006, 09:57 PM
How much? My B&B is a bit quiet..

Brian98GTP
03-06-2006, 10:01 PM
I'll send you a PM...

GTSLOW
03-06-2006, 11:38 PM
I have a set of TSP True Duals for sale if youre interested.... theyre dumped before the axle though.... Sounds unbelievably AWESOME!!

... a tad loud....

...But AWESOME!!! :banana

Sounds nice but I'm a beleiver that you can only run a dumped before the axle setup on a camaro. Pontiacs all look like poo without exhaust tips in the spaces in the rear bumper :)

SlowStee
03-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Sounds nice but I'm a beleiver that you can only run a dumped before the axle setup on a camaro. Pontiacs all look like poo without exhaust tips in the spaces in the rear bumper :)
yer a retard

GTSLOW
03-06-2006, 11:39 PM
yer a retard

LOL I take it you got a dumped before the axle setup huh? :loser Would that be single or dual with the V6? :confused

SlowStee
03-06-2006, 11:41 PM
LOL I take it you got a dumped before the axle setup huh? :loser Would that be single or dual with the V6? :confused
3 " true duals with dynomax bullets dumped before the rear axle :)

should sound nice with the cam

GTSLOW
03-06-2006, 11:42 PM

:rolf Honestly who would spend money to put a cam in a V6? :wtf :goof

SlowStee
03-06-2006, 11:43 PM
Guess youre gonna get your ass handed to you by a cammed V6

GTSLOW
03-06-2006, 11:46 PM
Guess youre gonna get your ass handed to you by a cammed V6

So who's givin ya a tow? Or are you gonna borrow someones tires? Or do you have to work late? Or do you got somemore work to do?

:rolf Someday buddy :thumbsup

SlowStee
03-06-2006, 11:47 PM
So who's givin ya a tow? Or are you gonna borrow someones tires? Or do you have to work late? Or do you got somemore work to do?

:rolf Someday buddy :thumbsup
Nittos get here tomorrow :)

who am I kidding...the way I keep spending my money on other **** ill never buy the rest of my valvetrain parts :rolf

GTSLOW
03-06-2006, 11:49 PM
Nittos get here tomorrow :)

who am I kidding...the way I keep spending my money on other **** ill never buy the rest of my valvetrain parts :rolf

Well if ya only had one boyfriend you wouldnt blow as much money :thumbsup :rolf

SSmike1
03-07-2006, 01:19 PM

YOU DID!!!!!!! :rolf
:chair:

WilliamZ
03-07-2006, 04:41 PM

Formulas look ok since they don't have the nice rear bumpers like the TA's do! Does the Formula come with the V6 rear bumper? :D

GTSLOW
03-09-2006, 10:55 AM
YOU DID!!!!!!! :rolf
:chair:

I know I was trying to mess with him :punch:

Poncho
03-09-2006, 06:43 PM
**** I put a cam in a V6 too. doh. :durr

Slow Joe
03-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Hrmmm I might put a cam in a V6, depending on what I do with the motor after it leaves my '01... :durr :rolf

Poncho
03-09-2006, 11:46 PM
meh.

SlowStee
03-10-2006, 12:45 AM
Hrmmm I might put a cam in a V6, depending on what I do with the motor after it leaves my '01... :durr :rolf
sell the thing and buy a V8 mustang, the idea of putting a different motor in that car is kind of silly..and everyone says they "want to put a V8 in"..

Sell it and buy a Different mustang...the attachment to your 01 will vanish I promise :thumbsup

Poncho
03-10-2006, 01:03 AM
sell your formy and get something less ugly

basically thats what joe just say in what you wrote. not too cool eh?

but seriously joe, get a V8 mustang
but seriously AC, get something prettier.

SlowStee
03-10-2006, 04:18 AM

a mustang the same year as his with a V8 would look the same..are you dumb :confused

but seriously Dan, Lose some weight, and try to be less annoying.

Poncho
03-10-2006, 07:06 AM
lol.

GTSLOW
03-10-2006, 07:48 AM

:rolf the truth comes out!

H8RADE
03-10-2006, 09:08 AM
sell the thing and buy a V8 mustang, the idea of putting a different motor in that car is kind of silly..and everyone says they "want to put a V8 in"..

Sell it and buy a Different mustang...the attachment to your 01 will vanish I promise :thumbsup

x a bunch.
Why mess with the emissions nightmare, wiring nightmare, etc. when you can find an '01 Stang with a V8 for a couple bucks more than yours is worth.
I realize that your suspension is made from Unobtanium and was designed by the Carrol Shelby space program in the '90s, but at some point you need to let it go.
http://www.v8juice.com/images/v8_head_banner.gif
Sell it and save the headaches.
Unless it was hand-built by your now-dead grandmother in the garage of a Cape Cod home somewhere, your attachment is silly.
You want a bigger engine?
You want an 8.8 rearend with a traction aid?
You want a different car.

95 TA - The Beast
03-10-2006, 10:52 AM

Actually, true duals on a LT1 4th gen tend to sound like ass... I have heard them and unless you put in a h-pipe or x-pipe it will sound kinda weird and ugly...

A much better sounding setup is a Loudmouth 1 with teh resonator taken out and a Borla XR-1 put in it's place... That is jsut sexy as all hell sounding, quite mellow, a little louder than a 'normal' exhaust at idle, but very nice compared to chambered crap... And when you stomp on it, it just sings this beautiful tone... I had that exact setup on my white T/A... About the most restriction free setup you can put on these cars for a 3" intermediate single pipe...

Seriosuly, outside of the total quietness of a closed Borla setup for civility, that Loudmouth configuration is my favorite exhaust for LT1 cars... If I do another LT1 car there is no doubt that is exactly what I would put on it...

Slow Joe
03-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Here's my thing though... If I buy another car... I'm just going to do the same thing to it as I would to my car... So I really don't see the point to buying something different, just to nuke the motor, rear end and or trans then have to tear it down and rebuild it... And end up spending more money on the project... Plus I already own my car... And GT = Higher Insurance off the bat...

GTSLOW
03-10-2006, 01:27 PM
x a bunch.
Why mess with the emissions nightmare, wiring nightmare, etc. when you can find an '01 Stang with a V8 for a couple bucks more than yours is worth.
I realize that your suspension is made from Unobtanium and was designed by the Carrol Shelby space program in the '90s, but at some point you need to let it go.
http://www.v8juice.com/images/v8_head_banner.gif
Sell it and save the headaches.
Unless it was hand-built by your now-dead grandmother in the garage of a Cape Cod home somewhere, your attachment is silly.
You want a bigger engine?
You want an 8.8 rearend with a traction aid?
You want a different car.

He's got a good point, to much other crap to deal with besides the engine. :thumbsup

SlowStee
03-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Here's my thing though... If I buy another car... I'm just going to do the same thing to it as I would to my car... So I really don't see the point to buying something different, just to nuke the motor, rear end and or trans then have to tear it down and rebuild it... And end up spending more money on the project... Plus I already own my car... And GT = Higher Insurance off the bat...
well no one says you have to nuke the motor, rear-end or trans man :thumbsup

I just kind of got the impression you wanteda V8 powered vehicle, if youre happy with your mustang now, more power to you.. :)

BAD LS1
03-10-2006, 02:14 PM
OK How the hell did this thread go and turn into 3 pages of (no offense Joe) mustang motor swaps, diva's car looks like ass, people being fat and annoying and LT1 exhaust comparo's etc... FROM i tuned someones car, he is happy... end of story???!!!????

Slow Joe
03-10-2006, 02:16 PM
well no one says you have to nuke the motor, rear-end or trans man :thumbsup

I just kind of got the impression you wanteda V8 powered vehicle, if youre happy with your mustang now, more power to you.. :)

With the mods I want to do... on a stock motor and drive train... Yeah it wouldn't last long... I know that there are other things to take into consideration, which is why I'm already starting on supporting mods prior to an engine swap... At this point I do enjoy my car the way it is, but I know I'm going to want more power, so I figured I could feed the need...

BAD LS1
03-10-2006, 02:20 PM
And the sh!t continues.... all stemming back from page 3, about post #45, thank you DIVA...

BACK ON TOPIC

Slow Joe
03-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I didn't see your post Tom... No offence taken... I don't know how it turned from that to this, but I agree... Back to your regularly scheduled program...

1,000th post biatches :banana1: :durr

GTSLOW
03-10-2006, 04:24 PM
And the sh!t continues.... all stemming back from page 3, about post #45, thank you DIVA...

BACK ON TOPIC

I know a guy down in racine thats got a 01 I think WS6. Nice list of mods including headers & 4.10s still on the STOCK TUNE!!!! I'm trying to get him to talk to you about tuning!

H8RADE
03-10-2006, 06:09 PM
OK How the hell did this thread go and turn into 3 pages of (no offense Joe) mustang motor swaps, diva's car looks like ass, people being fat and annoying and LT1 exhaust comparo's etc... FROM i tuned someones car, he is happy... end of story???!!!????

You tune cars?
Cool.
Can I get a smoke?
Cooler.

97z2801ss
03-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Tom do you smoke cigs while tuning

Poncho
03-11-2006, 05:16 PM
he should, it'd add to the comedy.

BAD LS1
03-11-2006, 06:02 PM
he should, it'd add to the comedy.

Hahaha i wont get near the inside of my car or anyone eleses witha smoke though lol