PDA

View Full Version : Finally!

Korndogg
03-04-2006, 10:16 PM
I know there are some heating guys in here and I made a thread a long time ago about getting into the union. Well I'm finally in and number 9 on the waiting list!! woohoo!

sorry, I had to share my excitement.

sloLs1
03-04-2006, 10:21 PM
congrats mark... maybe you can finally make your Camaro fast!!! Big block :banana ?? j/k so does that mean your finally out of F&F???

Korndogg
03-04-2006, 10:22 PM
nope...gotta find a job now lol.

nismodave
03-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Congrats..........Enjoy the dues......lol

IBEW L.U. 494 REPRESENT!!!!!! WOOT!

Korndogg
03-04-2006, 11:34 PM
well from what I heard, its worth it so why not give it a whirl hey??

Lash
03-04-2006, 11:42 PM
Welcome! :) And yes...$30 an hour worth it.

Korndogg
03-04-2006, 11:44 PM
so is number 9 a good start?? lol

Brian98GTP
03-05-2006, 01:55 AM
I think I was like #3 when I first started...... #9 isnt bad..

All depends how soon 1 through 8 get placed.... :D

Lash is at Total Comfort.... Im at Grunau Co.

Congrats!!

Post up when and where you get placed!

Good for you for getting started... its a long road... so just
stick with it, and you'll be glad you did...

Once you have your Journeymans card... you can quit and do
whatever you want... just FINISH first...
Ive seen a lot of people just Give Up when they were 1/2 way through..

Anyways.. congrats again! :thumbsup

awsomeears
03-05-2006, 06:01 AM
what union ?

I've been doing residential for the past 5 months and already im SICK OF IT.

Every dam day is a Headache, nothing is organized or stocked and WE the workers take the heat for it.

I need to chat with one of you guys about your Specific Union.

Korndogg
03-05-2006, 08:30 AM
I'm at steamfitters 601. And thanks guys.

Lash
03-05-2006, 09:36 AM
Me and Brian are in Local 18 Sheetmetal....where the cool guys are. Fitters are DORKS!!!! :goof

We do Commercial sheetmetal. I don't really like doing residential either...but our suppliers never seem to be out of stock on things. Except maybe a special sized register boot or something. I like commercial alot better.

Brian98GTP
03-05-2006, 12:06 PM
what union ?

I've been doing residential for the past 5 months and already im SICK OF IT.

Every dam day is a Headache, nothing is organized or stocked and WE the workers take the heat for it.

I need to chat with one of you guys about your Specific Union.

Post up whatever questions you have... we'll answer them as best we can..

Unless Korndogg wants you to start your own thread.....?? :)

Brian

awsomeears
03-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Post up whatever questions you have... we'll answer them as best we can..

Unless Korndogg wants you to start your own thread.....?? :)

Brian

I had a lengthy thread about unions and stuff, now im just curious what exactly a day by day is for you guys ?

Like my buddy in ill. is a sheetmetal guy, so im thinking that he sits in the shop and makes sheet metal all day,but he actually is out everyday on jobs that most of the time have nothing to do with sheet metal.

I need to get my ass in gear :thumbsup

Brian98GTP
03-05-2006, 02:39 PM
I had a lengthy thread about unions and stuff, now im just curious what exactly a day by day is for you guys ?

Like my buddy in ill. is a sheetmetal guy, so im thinking that he sits in the shop and makes sheet metal all day,but he actually is out everyday on jobs that most of the time have nothing to do with sheet metal.

I need to get my ass in gear :thumbsup

Well... there are MANY different things you can do Inside the sheet metal trade....
I was out in the field working on jobsites... going to different places and installing equip/ductwork/etc....
Then I was in the shop making the sh!t....from soldering, to wire/stick welding
to TIG welding.... or just making ductwork, and crazy a$$ fittings....

Now, I kinda got 'bumped up', and am working in the 'Office' in our sheet
metal shop.... doing ordering/inventory/entering fittings for the plasma table/etc....
And if you want to keep advancing... theres drafting/design/engineering positions.... or estimating... its almost endless...

Money is really good... but you should still like what you do...

I liked working in the field, becaues you can do a job, and look at it and say that YOU did all the ductwork in that building.... YOU installed that roof top unit.... YOU installed those louvers that you can see from a mile away... etc..

In the shop.. its the same thing... We make peices of ductwork that are big
enough for 30 homeless people to live in comfortably... $hit is CRAZY!
....and walking into a big building, or Miller Park and being able to say that you made that big ugly POS hanging in the air makes you feel pretty good... :thumbsup

Also... the workload can vary a LOT... The only time Ive really had off though, was when the company I started with went out of business.... (through no fault of my own... :durr )
Since starting at my current company though, Ive been busy as Fvck...
We seem to be one of the few companies in the area to have a lot of work ...

So in other words.... there are a lot of people off in Local 18 because of lack of work.... Keep that in mind when you want to purchase something big... :alcoholic

Other than that... it pays the bills.. :haveabeer

Brian98GTP
03-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Son of a b!tch......... :slap

I just realized you joined Local 601...... so I guess most of the sh!t I just
posted doesnt DIRECTLY apply to you.... like hanging ductwork...LOL
..but it still gives you an idea....

Lash
03-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Son of a b!tch......... :slap

I just realized you joined Local 601...... so I guess most of the sh!t I just
posted doesnt DIRECTLY apply to you.... like hanging ductwork...LOL
..but it still gives you an idea....

Haha...thats why I said fitters are dorks. :D (it's all in good fun...fitters say the same about tinners).

Yeah...I love my job. Theres really no repetition and the scenery changes alot. You also get to meet alot of new people...people who may be able to help you with something in the future...like building a house ;).
I was off for a total of 4 weeks (involuntarily...1 week was from a strike) in the last 6 years. The rest have been from my vacations or days I've needed off. I've been pretty lucky. If you're good...YOU WILL HAVE WORK.

You got into more on the residential/service side of 601...right? I know the commercial side is gonna have TONS and TONS of work for about the next 10 years with the new power plant jobs coming up. It'll basically be work as much as you want.

Korndogg
03-05-2006, 10:10 PM
I changed and got into the steamfitters side for the sole reason of the powerplant. I know a couple guys in 601 and they told me to do fitting cause the list is moving faster. On top of that. I cant stand residential (its what my dad does).

Lash
03-05-2006, 10:26 PM
Ahhh..so your commercial 601. Maybe well work together on a job someday :thumbsup

My father in law is in 601. He does BIG underground pipelines.

Korndogg
03-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Nice. I think what I'm gonna do is go retest my reading test and whatever so I get higher on the list. I REALLY need to get out of farm and fleet as soon as possible.