PDA

View Full Version : Nice commuter car

MoreTorque
02-27-2006, 04:24 PM
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1000

:wooo

Fuel savings would be awesome, but I dont know if I could handle driving it everyday.

Neal Steffek
02-27-2006, 04:54 PM
I would get the GT

twicks69
02-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Ditto on the GT!

If they only came to the USA.

Slow Joe
02-27-2006, 08:22 PM
Yeah that would be nice if it came to the USA, but I'd be willing to bet it'd get alot heavier, and obviously not get as good of gas mileage...

number1
02-28-2006, 09:18 AM
I'd get the GT and start modding. 2.5 inch exhaust, filter, 18 pounds, fuel injectors. That would be sweet.

Teufelhunden
02-28-2006, 12:41 PM
I'd buy one as well.

Flight_740
02-28-2006, 01:00 PM
With leather and a/c. :thumbsup

Price is actually decent. Don't you get some kind of tax break with those as well?

Slow Joe
02-28-2006, 02:25 PM
Hrmmm now how cheap would it be to drive if you were running Bio-Diesel??? I just thought about that... Any idea how much it costs per gallon to make bio-diesel? I saw it on trucks and can't remember the website or anything anymore lol... Plus I'm at work so everything's blocked...

hrsp
02-28-2006, 07:17 PM
damn ists fast

Rifleman WI
03-01-2006, 06:18 AM
ide get one, just because its Diesel :thumbsup

Al
03-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Hrmmm now how cheap would it be to drive if you were running Bio-Diesel??? I just thought about that... Any idea how much it costs per gallon to make bio-diesel? I saw it on trucks and can't remember the website or anything anymore lol... Plus I'm at work so everything's blocked...

More than regular diesel.

Has anyone seen those mileage competitions where the people put a 20 hp BASCO diesel engine in a car and get 100 mpg? Overall, the cars are complete turds, but they will outrun a loaded big rig.

Cryptic
03-01-2006, 02:32 PM
My brother and I wanted to look into making some Bio diesel for his Jetta TDI.

I'm not completely sure how feasible this is as I havent done alot of research. But would anyone else be interested in it? BCM Project "Bio Diesel" :banana1:

He gets 42 mpg driving it hard and over 70mph back and forth to Whitewater.
Not bad at all considering the car still has plenty of power,

Karps TA
03-01-2006, 02:47 PM
You need to be careful with bio-diesel. Not all injection pumps can handle the stuff, and theres no standardized bio diesel fuel. Many injection pumps require a certain level of lubricity which you can't get with some blends of bio. Sure the engine might run, but diesel engines run pretty much on anything combustible. But you may be taking thousands to tens of thousands of miles off your engine life.

That's why very few if any diesel manufacturers have okay'd the use of bio diesel. Most have at best given a "You're on your own" statement.

MoreTorque
03-01-2006, 03:14 PM
http://www.biodiesel.org/

I'd be all about a BCM biodiesel project :headbang

Cryptic
03-01-2006, 03:30 PM
You need to be careful with bio-diesel. Not all injection pumps can handle the stuff, and theres no standardized bio diesel fuel. Many injection pumps require a certain level of lubricity which you can't get with some blends of bio. Sure the engine might run, but diesel engines run pretty much on anything combustible. But you may be taking thousands to tens of thousands of miles off your engine life.

That's why very few if any diesel manufacturers have okay'd the use of bio diesel. Most have at best given a "You're on your own" statement.

my understanding is a 75% bio to 25% diesel mix is what VW accepts. But thats coming from a sales man... so dont quote me. I have read things about adding an additional fuel filters and fuel additives to ensure injector/pump/motor life.

Slow Joe
03-01-2006, 03:33 PM
I asked one of our VW Managers here about Bio-Diesel yesterday, and he said don't even use it in a TDI, it's probably not good for it... But hey he's not much of a technical guru, just a VW Sales Manager...

Cryptic
03-01-2006, 03:36 PM
I had an technical article the salesman gave my brother when he was buying the car. I can't remember the details. It was several months ago.

MoreTorque
03-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Pretty common to use Bio in a TDI: http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Slow Joe
03-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Pretty common to use Bio in a TDI: http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Interesting... :confused As I said he's not a Tech Guru, just a sales manager...

MoreTorque
03-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Interesting... :confused As I said he's not a Tech Guru, just a sales manager...

No harm done... its hard to find a sales guy that acutally knows anything about diesels.

I can't wait for the stories we will hear from dealers as Steph is looking to get a Jetta TDI soon.

Slow Joe
03-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Yeah, if a customer asked me I wouldn't know what to say...