PDA

View Full Version : stupid F'n wiper arms (GM)

Cryptic
02-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Who knows the magic trick to getting these bastards off the drive shaft they are on.

I'm working on a 97 sunfire, I have the little plastic cap off and the nut that sits on the threaded shaft. I read there's a special tool to pop the wiper arm off or you can try a block of wood and a wide flat screw driver, but method #2 aint working.

I have to get under the plastic molding thats above the firewall (engine side) and to do so the wiper arms have to come off too. There are 2 bolts that hold the wiper motor in place and I can see that one is missing so the motor is in there bouncing around instead of moving the wipers.

Car Guy
02-26-2006, 11:35 PM
I didn't know there was a special tool for that, and yes some of those can be a real PITA. I litlle 'WD40' (or similar) might help if you let it sit overnight, you can heat up the arm with a pencil torch (BUT BE CAREFUL!!!), or you can just use the oldest method in the book---wiggle and pry with all of your might! Which will work eventually but it CAN take a awhile......I don't think there's any real trick to it.....

ACRturbo
02-26-2006, 11:44 PM
the special tool is like a pulley puller because the wiper arm is pressed onto the so called "drive shaft" for the motor

Car Guy
02-26-2006, 11:44 PM
the special tool is like a pulley puller because the wiper arm is pressed onto the so called "drive shaft" for the motor

I figured it was something like that.....

Cryptic
02-26-2006, 11:49 PM
so called "drive shaft"

i didnt know what the heck to call it. all I know its about to see the blunt end of a hammer real soon.

Lash
02-27-2006, 02:45 PM
lol...I know the feeling. I took mine off once when I had my cavalier. I dont know how the hell I did it though. I think I just got pissed enought and just about broke the damn things trying to pry them off.

Grim_Reeper7.0
02-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Ill give ya a hand if you need it, let me know.

Cryptic
02-27-2006, 05:34 PM
Ill give ya a hand if you need it, let me know.

If you really want... Do you have a plan of attack or do you just got some big guns to pull them damn things off?

I hit them with some PB Blaster, although I didnt see any evidence of rust.

GrimreaperSS
02-27-2006, 06:03 PM
A battery cable/post puller works awesome for this. Its just a small two jaw puller that fits right in where you need it to. Kind just get a cheapo $3 jobber from the parts store, good atleast for one time use. Had on ein my tool box at work, Lasted me atleast two years until I had a really stubborn wiper arm , and I bent the handle on the puller. Oh well it was cheap, but now I have a more expensive model from Matco.

Grim_Reeper7.0
02-27-2006, 06:13 PM
No plan of attack.......im bored $hitless!!!!