PDA

View Full Version : Fish pet owners inside.

Firefighter Z
02-24-2006, 10:46 AM
Well since I couldnt sell my 20 gallon high I decided to setup... I bought this remover and let the tank cycle for 48 hrs ( like I always did with no problems) and went bought some hardy fish. I have 10 fish total 3 catfish, 4 clear tetras and 3 orange tetras with the black dot on the tail, but one fish doesnt seem to be doing so good (the orange tetra), it swims halfassed but when it wants to it can swim fine but I think it has fin rot. Some times it sits on the bottom away from other fish and some times it hangs on top (no the fish isnt dead) Now this is the only fish that has it out of the other 2 which are females and those 2 are fine.

This is the first time this haas occurd, I've setup many tanks before and used the same water.

Do you think its stressed from trasport or what?

Thanks

animal
02-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Certainly could be, or it was shocked for some reason. Doesn't sound too good. Sometimes you can save them in an isolation tank, maybe you got a bully that you don't know about. At the very least, hopefully then the disease wouldnt spread.

Firefighter Z
02-24-2006, 10:55 AM
Well I was think in getting a small container to put inside the tank but I forgot what its called... You might know, it has holes in it so it can breath the same water....If all else fail,s I have a 5gal I could use......
Go figure I had to go buy a new heater that was for a 20gal well it didnt heat up to 78* +, so I had to get one for a 30 and 60 gal tank.. Not the heat is fine but I dont think that has anything to do with it.

animal
02-24-2006, 11:31 AM
Not sure on the name, i see them all the time though, people like to put bettas in them.

Slow Joe
02-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Did you use any stress coat?

turbogarrett
02-24-2006, 11:47 AM
I would pick up some medicine and if you keep the house near 70*, ditch the heater. The warmer the water, the faster infection seems to spread.

Slow Joe
02-24-2006, 12:02 PM
Yup, bacteria loves warm water..

DirtyMax
02-24-2006, 04:36 PM
You got an air pump in there? Was the tank at a good temp before you introduced the fish? Did you float the fish in the bags to mate the water temps?

Just a couple of brainstorming things..?

Firefighter Z
02-24-2006, 11:21 PM
Yeah I did everything correctly, water temp was at 78*... I took the fish in and they said it looked to be aggression from the 2 females (biatches), so i bought a breeder box to see if that will help...
30 mins later the fish was dead, I guess it had enough but what pizzes me off is that the albino catfish died at the same time also, I'm just wondering if the other catfish starved it cause it did look thin.

I also had the water tested and it was just coming out of the stress level.

All the other fish are fine, I run my power filter all the time to help with the cycle procses which does help.

I guess ill found out tomarro if anything else is dead.

LIL EVO
02-25-2006, 10:09 AM
You should let the tank cycle for a month. It usually takes that long for the levels to be "normal" and through the cycle.

http://www.bestfish.com/newtank3.html

http://www.bestfish.com/breakin.html

LIL EVO
03-07-2006, 08:54 PM
http://www.lilevo.com/fishtank/30gal/pike3.jpg

Firefighter Z
03-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Ha ha ha nice pic... Well I got hardy fish to help with the process of cycling. 2 more fish died cause of aggression, so I took em back and got free new fish and so far so good.
Tank is clear and levels are almost normal.

deciuss
03-08-2006, 10:36 AM
just wate till you have to start cleaning it :( thats the reason why i left my tank and gave it to my parents when i moved out.

as far as the fish not doing so good if you take a run to your local fish supply shop and explain to them whats going on normaly they will know the problem and give you some meds to put into the tank normaly its in liquid form and you just have to put a few drops into the tank a day, a good reason to make sure every thing is fine also is some times it can be spred to other fish.

Cryptic
03-08-2006, 10:45 AM
my tank just got over "ich". I think I introduced too many new fish at once.

deciuss
03-09-2006, 10:34 AM
o ya my tank had that a few years ago, was it the one with the dark blue drops that you had to put in?

turbogarrett
03-11-2006, 06:45 AM
just wate till you have to start cleaning it :( thats the reason why i left my tank and gave it to my parents when i moved out

Keeping a freshwater fish tank is really not that much work, I spend maybe an hour a month changing filters and going through with the siphon in my 125 gal cichlid tank. My cockatoo and dog take up FAR more time :D

Cryptic
03-11-2006, 09:16 AM
o ya my tank had that a few years ago, was it the one with the dark blue drops that you had to put in?

yeah... in fact mine is having a relapse.. damn it :mad: