PDA

View Full Version : Computer guys

Flight_740
02-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Im looking for a new PC. All I need is the tower. I have the monitor, keyboard, printer, Etc. What should I look for? Whats a good name? Who has a good deal? Is Emachines garbage? I know nothing about computers so maybe I should learn now. I want it to be fast on the net and good for typing papers. Thanks.

wikked
02-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Im looking for a new PC. <snip>. I want it to be fast on the net and good for typing papers. Thanks.

With enough ram, I could do that fine with a pentium 233mhz, seriously.

I have a Pentium 600mhz tower, complete, 128mb ram, minus hard-drive, $50 :D

Flight_740
02-17-2006, 03:28 PM
OK, those numbers mean nothing to me. What exactly does that mean?

How much is a decent hard drive? What programs come on it? Is it reliable?

subliminal1284
02-17-2006, 03:32 PM
If you buy the parts, ill build one for you for $50. it will be cheaper than buying a new one.

JohnnyT
02-17-2006, 03:36 PM
This may not be a super popular answer, but get a Dell. They're cheap, decent quality, have a good warranty and you will get it fast. Check 'em out.

Berettaspeed
02-17-2006, 04:12 PM
With enough ram, I could do that fine with a pentium 233mhz, seriously.

I have a Pentium 600mhz tower, complete, 128mb ram, minus hard-drive, $50 :D

LOL at least im not the only one

i have a 500MHZ, 128ram, 80 gig, 16 bit game card?, DVD... it was 50 bucks, i can play AOEII so im all good. internet is fast cause of road runner,.

i need memory cause of pics and music

wikked
02-17-2006, 07:23 PM
heh well, that's not my main computer, it's my 3rd backup :D
Although my main one is wayyy out of date, 1.4ghz :(

k0uger
02-20-2006, 12:14 AM
Im looking for a new PC. All I need is the tower. I have the monitor, keyboard, printer, Etc. What should I look for? Whats a good name? Who has a good deal? Is Emachines garbage? I know nothing about computers so maybe I should learn now. I want it to be fast on the net and good for typing papers. Thanks.

well since all you need is the tower.. hmm

if you are a college student most schools have computer discounts. I know people may say otherwise but dells arent bad, my first computer was a dell. Make sure you get the 3 year warrenty on it (i think that was included with the school discount) and it will last you a long long time.

A tip to buying computer, think about what is the basic computer you need, and go one step above that. You never know what could happen a year or two down the road. It is best to buy the best (or close to) that you can afford at the time.

---
scratch building is also an option. that way if you have an older computer you can reuse some components. I built my new computer and I am still rockin the few year old audio cards and some of the old HDs, even one of the CD drives (it doesnt match but eh i dont want to paint it)

PM or IM me and I can help ya out if ya want

pOrk
02-20-2006, 12:21 AM
I got my 1.7 ghz celeron with dvd reader, cd burner, 80 gig HD and 512 ram, 19" lcd flat screen monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, for 239 dollers from best buy

Slow Joe
02-20-2006, 12:26 AM
I'd stick away from an eMahcine, they're nothing but problems from the ones I've had... Dell has been a good brand from what I've heard thus far and you can't beat their prices... Otherwise Wal*Mart sells a house brand online for $239 that's a decent computer... ADD Windows and go...