PDA

View Full Version : New project, old plymouth

fireboverd
02-14-2006, 09:46 PM
I'm not sure how many of you are into old cars, but I thought I'd post the new project I dragged home this weekend. It's a 1951 Plymouth Concord 2 seater. It hasn't moved since '74 but the body seems pretty solid and it was only $100, I couldn't resist. Any thoughts on what I should do with it?

theavenger333
02-14-2006, 11:02 PM
i'll start off with INTERESTING

Yooformula
02-15-2006, 06:34 AM
I would chop the front pillar by 3" then leave it a vert. That would be bada$$.

jbiscuit
02-15-2006, 07:31 AM
I agree, make it a vert and paint the car flat black. Do a budget build on it....try and keep your costs under XXXX amount of dollars....like $2500 for instance TOTAL, including getting the car running. That way, you will have a really fun car that doesn't have a show car paint job on it (making it easier to want to actually DRIVE the car) and you'll have a lot of fun building it.

srt4eh
02-15-2006, 02:21 PM
slam it to the ground......wait - thats already done...lol. but really - it does look like it has a good body to it. I woulda bought it for $100 too

Yooformula
02-15-2006, 03:01 PM
How in the hell did you find that thing to begin with?!?! It looks like nothing but fields in the background.

d0nut
02-15-2006, 03:20 PM
It needs a serious chop. Wouldn't be too bad to do since all the glass is flat. A nice chop would make that think look like a tank.....

Then you shoud put about 3000 louvers in the hood. A nice mid 50's Dodge Red Ram Hemi, some lake pipes, wide whites on steelies with trim rings and smooth baby moons.

Lose the hood ornament, french the headlights, DeSoto or 50 Ford grille.....

Black with silver scallops (red pinstriping). No chrome on the side at all. Lose the door handles and install solenoids.

Louvers all over the trunklid. Put the hinges on the backside of the lid so it opens from the front. Hard to say tailight wise but if the room was there it would look good with a round tail light frenched (Vette, Jag, 68 Charger, 2nd gen Camaro?).

Sorry, got kinda sill there!

Flat black, LAF on the back and glass pack.

awsomeears
02-15-2006, 06:14 PM
Id love to cruze in somthing like that.

Flat Black for sure

fireboverd
02-15-2006, 06:54 PM
I'm not too sure about making it a convertible or chopping the top, I thought of cutting the roof off at first just because it would be so easy with the trim the way it is, but i saw one on ebay and didn't really like the way it looked. As far as chopping it, I tried it in my auto-body customization program a.k.a. Microsoft paint and didn't really like it either (the rear glass is curved by the way) I think flat black with some full moon hub caps and shaved door handles are definatly in order. I have a 318 with either a 727 or an A-500 I'm thinking of putting in. Either that or I have a lead on another flathead 6. I would love to set it on an s-10 frame and bag it, but a low budget summer driver is more of what I can handle right now. someone also suggested making a rumble seat with the huge trunk lid, but im now sure how hard that would be.

k0uger
02-15-2006, 07:09 PM
I know this probably isnt what your goal was in buying the car, but you could part it out on ebay and make a killing! Other than that the Jefferson Swap Meet is coming up in April, you could always sell or part it out there as well.

---
If you plan on keeping it, well you still can go to jefferson or ebay and find the parts you need. Looks like there are a few spots to hammer out... the top should be sanded and primed soon. Unless you are lucky enough to have a heated garage better wait a month or 2 :P

Al
02-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Then you shoud put about 3000 louvers in the hood.

Louvers all over the trunklid. Flat black

Definitley go with the louvers!!!

I say pinstripe flames on flat black. But find a good pinstriper.

fireboverd
02-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Yeah..louvers would be cool, but who does them? Also, does anyone know what it would take or if it's even possible to put say a 2nd gen camaro front subframe on the car? I was looking under it and the frame is solid as a rock but the front crossmember is strangly enough getting some soft spots. Leaving me with some options; ignore it and hope for the best, patch it, complete new frame, or try to graft on a subframe. My first project is going to be getting all the door handles and anything that moves working properly and replacing the cracked glass. Then on to making it go.

Corvette Jabo
02-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Nice car, its in decent shape. Get it going and just drive it, it looks like allot of fun. I doubt it would take much to get it going. Start soaking the pistons wth something like WD40 for a few weeks, turn it over by hand to break them lose. I hate it when someone takes a piece of history and fuks it up.
Jabo

DocDave
02-17-2006, 12:59 PM
Get the power train solid on it and drive it in the power tour as is. That seams to get all the attention these days. LOL.

Really though, modernize the power train but try to restore the rest of it. Give it a good stock color and some nice wheels and it will turn heads.

fireboverd
02-17-2006, 06:44 PM
I'd love to get the flathead 6 running, but there's a big hole in the side of the block. I know of another flat 6 in an old bus near by that I'm trying to get ahold of the owner on, it looks like it ran when it was parked. As far as driving it as is, I think that would be neat too, especialy with the little tree stump grown onto the front bumper, but I'm afraid the roof and hood are getting too thin and the rockers do need some patchwork that would have to be painted.

nismodave
02-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Two words.......Neon Lights.

A B4C Z
02-17-2006, 09:32 PM
Put a LSX motor in it.

fireboverd
02-20-2006, 06:54 PM
I kinda like this look... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Rat-rod-Hot-rod-custom-kustom-classic-air-bag-1946-FORD_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6057QQitemZ4614073 560QQrdZ1

DirtyMax
02-21-2006, 09:17 AM
Nice find! My pops is into 50's Mopars. He has a 56 Plymouth 2 door wagon and used to have a 56 Coronet (with the push button automatic) for parts.

jbiscuit
02-21-2006, 10:44 AM
yea the Rat Rods are super cool.....go that route. Flat black with red wheels would be super cool!