PDA

View Full Version : Question about trading cards...

loud91rs
02-14-2006, 01:23 PM
I've got a ton of old trading cards from over 10 years ago, boxes upon boxes full of them...what do you do with these things? Where can I sell them, or get them appraised? What is the right direction I should go with these, I just wanna sell them and get some money pretty much.

srt4eh
02-14-2006, 02:24 PM
ebay.....card shops. go to Price's on Forest Home or is it Beloit.....thats a good shop.

Search for it...I forgot what street its on

awsomeears
02-14-2006, 03:00 PM
What year cards are we talkin ?

Best bet is to take some of them and get a offerd price, then bounce around to other places and see what response you get.

If these are old 50's - 60's cards watch your A$$ from shady people.

Crawlin
02-14-2006, 03:27 PM
i got a number of 60's Joe Namath, Larry Csonka, Gale Sayers, Ray Nitschke, etc.. always wonder what they are worth

AIDS Giver
02-14-2006, 04:53 PM
I put them in bike spokes. VRRRRRRM!

Cryptic
02-14-2006, 05:14 PM
I put them in bike spokes. VRRRRRRM!

your damn near banned for your name... Dont be surprised if another admin doesn't

srt4eh
02-14-2006, 07:40 PM
i used to collect cards hardcore in the late 90s early 00s......if you have football in those years...i'm interested. but yeah - best bet is to just check around. You can also buy Beckett Baseball/Football/Basketball (or whatever) Monthly. You can check the prices yourself in there as long as you know how to read dates and manufacturers.

wikked
02-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Pretty much anything from the last 20yrs is junk, with the exception of key rookie cards of shoo-in hall of famers.
The companies flooded the market with like 5 different brands each, then made the regular cards worthless by making everyone go for the uber rare 1 per case triple hologram diamond embedded actualy piece of bone flux capacitor insert cards.
Anything pre 1980's has held it's value pretty well.
I was wheeling & dealing at card shows @ Bowlero & Serb Hall when I was 8yrs old, when it was just a bunch of smelly fat old guys :D
Had some very decent hookups at about age 10, then got more & more turned off by the flood of crap every year :(
I eventually quit when I was 14-15.
I'm sure I had easily over $10k worth back then, but now I'd be lucky if it's worth $1k lol drive off the car lot depreciation.
Funny side story, my cousins friend started collecting Tom Gordon (Royals picture) '89 Donruss rated rookies... it was kinda a joke because it seemed like he got one every pack, everyone gave him theirs, and before he knew it, he had over 40 pages front & back of them :rolf (that's 720) ... even funnier was when he got on a hot streak and that card shot up to $1.50 each and they were 'worth' $1,080. Shoulda sold 'em. I think they're a nickel each now.

Yea I could go on for days.

84hurst
02-14-2006, 08:23 PM
your damn near banned for your name... Dont be surprised if another admin doesn't

Just ban this peice of sh*t. He's only posted 7 times and he already has a bad reputation. He never has anything good to say. Quote: Just don't pay it. What are they going to do? Suspending your licsense is a joke, you can still drive without one, its not like they'll take your car. Why did you even pull over? All you have to do is go about 100 mph and the chicken sh!t cops won't chase you anymore!: End Quote. Quote: Yeah, not my problem. I'd be happy reading a story about this bore dying from autoerotic affixation only to be found by a loved one a day before thier birthday.: End Quote. Not to metion, he probably actually does AIDS. We don't need people like you trashing our site! F*UCK YOU! :flipoff2:

PB86MCSS
02-14-2006, 08:23 PM
wikked, your story sounds pretty much like mine...and I remember when Flash Gordon came out, including the Donruss Rated Rookie :rolf :D. They heyday of baseball cards, late 80's/early 90's.

I sold most of my collection in the late 90's at rummage sales where some older guys thought they were striking gold from a dumb kid ;) but kept the *good* cards. I had every Mark McGwire card until about 95' or 96' when the insert craze just got too much. After that I lost interest/got older. I have a huge McGwire collection and still collect A's cards who ever they are plus Brewers since I like them...can get alot of decent cards cheap on e-bay.

I'm also trying to sell some of my stuff, I have a Alex Rodriguez Upper Deck SP rookie, worth $50-80 or so thats held its value very well since new, thats about it though thats worth more than $5 or so, I think. I have Topps complete sets 87 through 91, I think they are worth $5 a set too :( :wow .

loud91rs
02-14-2006, 08:40 PM
Most of mine are early 90ish, about 10 full boxes of baseball, some football, some decent rookie cards, some not. It would take me forever to go through all of them. I just don't know what to do honestly haha. Thanks for your help guys.

VroomPshhTsi
02-14-2006, 08:47 PM
i used to collect cards hardcore in the late 90s early 00s......if you have football in those years...i'm interested. but yeah - best bet is to just check around. You can also buy Beckett Baseball/Football/Basketball (or whatever) Monthly. You can check the prices yourself in there as long as you know how to read dates and manufacturers.

I'll have to check my collection again but I know I should have a decent selection from that period. A Randy Moss rookie, some other ones like McNabb, Couch, that whole draft class, nothing super super rare but I'm sure some are worth more than pennies. I collected from early 90s to early 2000 (on and off between 98-02). I'll check this weekend if I remember.

- Brian

Car Guy
02-14-2006, 08:58 PM
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT......!!!!!

wikked and PB86MCSS.....

I thought I was the only one collecting cards seriously, which for me included spending every $$$ to my name on them. It all started with Shaq, I had rookie cards coming out of my ears (no offense awsomeears). Then I went for nothing but Michael Jordan, back then I had $2,000+ worth if I sold them, not book value (which was more). And now that I really think about it......WHY DIDN'T I SELL THEM !!!!!!!!! Even now $2,000 is nothing to sneeze at, almost 15 years later...!!!

How young and dumb I was................well it was great reminiscing.....

AIDS Giver
02-14-2006, 09:52 PM
Just ban this peice of sh*t. He's only posted 7 times and he already has a bad reputation. He never has anything good to say. Quote: Just don't pay it. What are they going to do? Suspending your licsense is a joke, you can still drive without one, its not like they'll take your car. Why did you even pull over? All you have to do is go about 100 mph and the chicken sh!t cops won't chase you anymore!: End Quote. Quote: Yeah, not my problem. I'd be happy reading a story about this bore dying from autoerotic affixation only to be found by a loved one a day before thier birthday.: End Quote. Not to metion, he probably actually does AIDS. We don't need people like you trashing our site! F*UCK YOU! :flipoff2:

Ladies and gentleman. Its angry typing guy.

awsomeears
02-15-2006, 12:49 AM
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT......!!!!!

wikked and PB86MCSS.....

I thought I was the only one collecting cards seriously, which for me included spending every $$$ to my name on them. It all started with Shaq, I had rookie cards coming out of my ears (no offense awsomeears). Then I went for nothing but Michael Jordan, back then I had $2,000+ worth if I sold them, not book value (which was more). And now that I really think about it......WHY DIDN'T I SELL THEM !!!!!!!!! Even now $2,000 is nothing to sneeze at, almost 15 years later...!!!

How young and dumb I was................well it was great reminiscing.....

Ahh yes the CLASSIC SHAQ CARDS :D

Member when dad would buy us packs from his buddy :thumbsup

Dont forget Robin Yount :wow

wikked
02-15-2006, 06:20 AM
I have a huge McGwire collection and still collect A's cards who ever they are plus Brewers since I like them...can get alot of decent cards cheap on e-bay.

HAHA omg, I used to love the Reds, collected every guy on the team, even when they went to new teams. Even the mutant freak Chris Sabo. I think he was the first/last person to wear goggles on the field. :goof

I moved on to comic books sometime in the late 90's, then they caught on to the bullsh1t and started releasing 7,000 different variants for each comic with giga platinum real superhero dna inserted covers, bleh. Although it was alot easier to find incredible bargains at rummage sales because no one knows how much their worth, except the obvious. I got a nice stack for 25c each that were worth anywhere from $25-$75 each. cha-ching! Thank you unknowing grandmas who clean out basements & attics :)

k0uger
02-17-2006, 01:02 AM
I was looking into my old baseball cards the other day as well. If you have any sammy sosa rookie cards those are selling for a lot of money, doesnt hurt to look through them when they are going for around a grand on ebay.

I wonder if I can get anything for the Greenfield Police Department Brewer Cards :P

srt4eh
02-17-2006, 02:43 PM
I collected and still collect Jerome Bettis....I have over 3000 different ones including 13 or so 1 of 1s. Now there are just too many inserts, etc. for me to keep up. Maybe I'll try to complete the collection (at least 97 and earlier) now that he's pretty much done.

Berettaspeed
02-17-2006, 04:23 PM
i have alot of upperdecks, stadium clubs,score, from 89-92ish...just tons..

PureSound15
02-17-2006, 08:15 PM
the uber rare 1 per case triple hologram diamond embedded actualy piece of bone flux capacitor insert cards.
:rolf :rolf

The bone was the hardest part to fit into the little plastic sleeves :thumbsup

I went to that "Baseball" cards store on national just west of 124th once with some Michael Jordan rookie cards and such.... they just told me to leave unless it was pre-1969. Bastards!

Nothin beats the smell of a new pack of cards though! Oh I remember that!

mrz28M6
02-18-2006, 01:37 AM
dont forget psa is and always will be hot! i used to setup at the bowlero shows,ganzaga shows and ever the suntimes show in chicago. wow cant believe i even made money doing that. lol oh and the beenie babies made me a ton! lol ahh the princess di bears :)