PDA

View Full Version : Question about a ticket...

Red97GTP
02-12-2006, 02:13 PM
Last month on the 15th, I recieved a ticket for "Driving without headlights." It was about 8 at night, and I was just pulling out of a well-lit gas station in Hales Corners. Now, those that know Grand Prixs, I have heads-up display on the front windshield. I'm so used to seeing that, that I don't even look down at the dashboard anymore. Well, I pull out of the gas station, and about 200 feet later, I realize I don't have my headlights on. I quick turn them on, and a Hales Corners officer pulls me over. Obviously I got a ticket...$66.

Fast forward to the 10th of this month. I received a letter from Hales Corners saying that because I did not show up for court or have the fine paid by February 8th, my fine increases to $78. Now, nowhere on the ticket does it say that the fine will increase by a certain amount if not paid by the set date. I know it's only a $12 increase, but can they do that?? My family keeps saying "just pay the extra $12. It's not that much!" Well, I live almost paycheck to paycheck as it is, and to have to pay a fine on top of that, well, just sucks. Now with the extra $12 tacked onto that, it's gonna be even longer till I can pay that. Any ideas about getting the $12 dropped??

92lxcoupe
02-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Not to be an @ss, but if you did not show up for court than you are lucky it was only a $12 increase. Usually your liscense gets suspended.

Neal Steffek
02-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Why did your headlights not go on right away? On my GP the auto light turner on'er thingy turns mine on right away.

Yooformula
02-12-2006, 02:34 PM
You could show up and ask someone to waive it, citing the auto pop up function didnt work. make up a bogus work order showing it was repaired.

Red97GTP
02-12-2006, 02:36 PM
I have the DRL's(Daytime Running Lights) disabled. I just think it looks dumb if you're driving around with your headlights on during the day.

I've had other tickets in the past that have not required me to go to court or have the fine paid by the set court date. Those fines never increased, and I always had 60 days to pay the fine. It just seems they're trying to screw me, maybe think I'll just live with the fine... :flipoff2:

Red97GTP
02-12-2006, 02:37 PM
You could show up and ask someone to waive it, citing the auto pop up function didnt work. make up a bogus work order showing it was repaired.

Hmmm, I do work at a dealer...but I didn't use that excuse when I talked to the officer.

Neal Steffek
02-12-2006, 03:00 PM
I have the DRL's(Daytime Running Lights) disabled. I just think it looks dumb if you're driving around with your headlights on during the day.

I've had other tickets in the past that have not required me to go to court or have the fine paid by the set court date. Those fines never increased, and I always had 60 days to pay the fine. It just seems they're trying to screw me, maybe think I'll just live with the fine... :flipoff2:

So you disabled a saftey part of your car, now you are mad that a cop gave you a ticket for it. And people wonder why I want to sell my GTP. :crying

SlowStee
02-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Its ******* stupid as **** to get a ticket for not having your headlights on in the first place...

Its not like people intentionally drive with them off, I would have laughed in the cops face

pOrk
02-12-2006, 05:13 PM
I got a ticket for not having them on once. What a joke, instead of simply asking to turn them on or even simply flashing their spotlight light at you, they gotta try and make quota off some bullshit

Al
02-12-2006, 05:33 PM
I got pulled over in Cedarburg for not having my lights on once. I think the fog lights were on along with the parking lights on my old man's Ranger, but they don't count. I figured out that the lights were off before I got pulled over, but it was too late.

I think that the reason for that law is because it is VERY common for drunk people to forget to turn on their headlights. The cops need a ligit reason to pull people over for DUI suspicion.

That is what the cop said when he pulled me over. He asked if I was drinking (i wasn't), checked my record on the computer and found that I lacked any warrants. He came back, gave me my license and said "remember to turn your lights on, have a nice evening."

I never knew that there was a ticket for that.

slow85vette
02-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Either go to talk to someone at where you have to pay the ticket or else just shut up and pay it.

Slow Joe
02-12-2006, 08:50 PM

So you disabled the DRLs and the Auto headlights?? They're two different things... I remember from my Malibu & my roommates Grand AM... Honestly I almost always do the DRL mod, but never the ACL b/c sometimes I forget to turn 'em on... lol...

Nix
02-13-2006, 12:27 PM
How in the heck do you bypass the Day time running lights? I have a 99' Bonerville and I was wondering how you would be able to get those damn things to turn off. :banana1:

AIDS Giver
02-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Just don't pay it. What are they going to do? Suspending your licsense is a joke, you can still drive without one, its not like they'll take your car. Why did you even pull over? All you have to do is go about 100 mph and the chicken sh!t cops won't chase you anymore!

DirtyMax
02-13-2006, 02:57 PM
How in the heck do you bypass the Day time running lights? I have a 99' Bonerville and I was wondering how you would be able to get those damn things to turn off. :banana1:

On my Sliverado, it was a fuse under the hood in the power box. Look in the manual or on the cover for a "DRL" fuse. One can only hope it was easy as mine was.

slow85vette
02-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Just don't pay it. What are they going to do? Suspending your licsense is a joke, you can still drive without one, its not like they'll take your car. Why did you even pull over? All you have to do is go about 100 mph and the chicken sh!t cops won't chase you anymore!

And that will only cause a person more trouble.

AIDS Giver
02-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Yeah, not my problem. I'd be happy reading a story about this bore dying from autoerotic affixation only to be found by a loved one a day before thier birthday.

G.A.A.D. to the origianl poster.

Al
02-13-2006, 04:02 PM

You have it all wrong...

..any car has enough power to get you into trouble
ie: a metro can go 45 in a 25/

...a good car can get you out of trouble!

Flight_740
02-13-2006, 04:10 PM
On my Sliverado, it was a fuse under the hood in the power box. Look in the manual or on the cover for a "DRL" fuse. One can only hope it was easy as mine was.

It is that easy, if not easier.

Nick, your fuse for the DRL'S should be inside the car. Yank it and your good but your automatic lights won't work anymore.

DirtyMax
02-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Yank it and your good but your automatic lights won't work anymore.

My auto lights still worked. Guess I am lucky. Those things are great but to heck if I don't forget to turn the headlights on every time I jump in to drive someone's car that doesn't have them now... :goof

Slow Joe
02-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Fuse for the DRLs? Ummmm That fuse controls more than the DRLs, there is a way to shut off the DRLs and such shown on gagt.com or something like that... Old N-Body Trick...

Flight_740
02-14-2006, 09:47 AM
Trust me, just yank the fuse. :thumbsup

DirtyMax
02-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Trust me, just yank the fuse. :thumbsup

:thumbsup

Yes, on my truck, anyways, it was all that the particular fuse controlled. They probably figure if you're inclined enough to find the fuse box under the hood, then you deserve to be able to easily bypass your DRL's....

Poncho
02-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Fuse for the DRLs? Ummmm That fuse controls more than the DRLs, there is a way to shut off the DRLs and such shown on gagt.com or something like that... Old N-Body Trick...

on the n-bodys just pulling the fuse didn't do it on the gen III cars (i.e. 99+ grand am) till 2003, then just pulling the fuse did it.

on my goat, it took pulling the relay, but I still have auto headlights if I want them on.